No announcement yet.

2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After two, it's tied up 1-1 at Penn State. No penalties in the period, and Penn State leads the shots on goal by 28-10, but the RIT goalie is absolutely standing on her head, especially in that period. It looked like Celeste Brown dressed a whole new team for the second period, and they really took it to Penn State. One thing that's becoming more obvious as the game goes on is just how much work the Penn State defense needs to do with passing...they're just not very good at it, especially when they're challenged. Another thing I wonder about is what seems like a hard rule to never go to the point with the puck in the offensive zone, but instead force it into the corners. I don't get that. I know Penn State wants to work from deep in the offensive zone, but when that's not working and two defenders are wide open on the points, why not cycle it back there and start the play over again?

Comment

• And as soon as I say that about the defense, Rene Gangarosa does her usual gratuitous dipsy-doo with the puck in front of Josie Bothun, loses the puck, and RIT scores to go up 2-1.

Comment

• Thank you, Kiara Zanon, for getting that one back...it's now tied 2-2.

Comment

• Good lord...going to a 3-on-3 OT with RIT...again. I know this series doesn't change anything come tournament time, but come on. The bottom team in the CHA takes you to OT again?

Comment

• And, once again, Penn State can't beat RIT and it ends in a 2-2 OT tie. Shots on goal were 45-15, which means little if they don't go in. Yes, I'm frustrated, so that's all the comment for the game.

Comment

• Celeste knows exactly what Penn State does or does not do. But, once again it sounds like a broken record, but Coe had a really good game. Bothun gave up two goals with 15: saves, but PSU's inability to score haunts them again.

Comment

• It's the final regular season game for Penn State at 1:00 (Eastern), one last shot at RIT. Here is today's lineup: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FL-CmBjX...png&name=small

And the BTN+ video stream is here: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1173319

Comment

• After one, it's scoreless at Penn State, and no penalties so far. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 14-2, but the RIT goalie (Sarah Coe) is looking as good as she did yesterday. Choppy start to the game, but Penn State slowly started taking control in the second half of the period. Passing is still something that needs work.

Comment

• I prefer these announcers. Will the guy go down like the titanic without breaking up Heising and Zanon or adding Gough to the first line. Mind boggling. How could PSU miss out on Vastanni? Lots of questions.

Comment

• After two, Penn State leads 1-0 on a beautiful snipe from Rachel Weiss...good to see her getting on the scoreboard lately. Penn State leads the shots on goal 27-6, and RIT took the only penalty of the game in that period. The zebra crew is either blind, or they've decided to let anything go, because they've missed some very blatant stuff. It's a whatever thing, as long as they stay blind for both teams.

Comment

• Weiss remains hot - she was active yesterday. Announcers said PSU seems to be running into hot goalies. Maybe it is that simple.

Comment

• This one ends 2-0 on an empty-netter from Kiara Zanon. Penn State led the shots on goal 42-10, and RIT took the only two penalties (that were called). I'm way too tired to comment more on the game, but now it's CHA tournament time next weekend in Syracuse, where Penn State will take on Mercyhurst.

Comment

• Lots of good chances today and another hot goalie, but PSU persevered. I like the grit.

Comment

• Here are some quotes from Jeff Kampersal after the disappointing OT tie with RIT this weekend. This is about as frustrated as I've seen him, at least on the record, but to be honest it's refreshing to see him not try to find a silver lining in a game that should have been won so handily.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Simply, we're a team that thinks we're better than we are,” Kampersal said. “When we play teams we think we're better than, we have bad habits, make bad decisions, and half-assed efforts.”

“Natalie Heising scored nine minutes into the game and we think alright we can take our foot off the pedal,” Kampersal said. “We just have to remain consistent.”

“When they (the defense) play, we can beat anybody. When they're in a battle, they'll compete and go hard,” Kampersal said. “But when they start talking about things that are not hockey before the game, I know we're in trouble.”

“As a coach, I haven't done a good job, because I know when it's coming and I can't fix it,” Kampersal said. “They need somebody else to come in here and figure that stuff out.”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              So it sounds like the team as a whole was taking RIT lightly, and the defenders specifically didn't have their heads in the game. I hope there was enough frustration afterwards to go around, and that it will be a motivator for the tournament.

Speaking of the CHA tournament, Lindenwood beat Mercyhurst in their second game this weekend, and that makes things interesting...not in tournament seeding, which was already set before the weekend, but in who is ready to compete. That's not a knock on Mercyhurst - it's a shoutout to Lindenwood. They play RIT first in the tournament and look to be the team that will move on to the semifinal game against Syracuse. Lindenwood lost two very close games against Syracuse and beat them once this season (and got blown out once), so they're not a pushover for Syracuse. Wouldn't it be interesting if Lindenwood beats Syracuse in the semifinals? Penn State and Mercyhurst play the other semifinal game, and of course I'm going to go with my bias and believe Penn State will win that one. Then it would be a CHA championship game with Penn State vs Lindenwood...Lindenwood? I swear, every season the CHA tournament is nuts, but this one could get interesting.

Comment

• Interesting quotes for sure, but I am not buying it. The team had a lot of opportunities, but just did not convert. Coe had a tremendous series. And I have said it before if you have a hot goalie screen her.

Comment

Working...
                                X