2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Kampersal must have given quite the inspirational talk between the 2nd and 3rd periods PSU just needs to put the shutout in game two against Mercy Hurst and 5 goals in one period in the same game. Ten different players with a point and the Captain with 3. A game PSU can't lose and they didn't.

Zed keep on posting all your links.
    I'd love to know what was said in the locker room after the second period. Whatever was said, and whoever said it, was the first star of the game, for sure.

Penn State game recap, with highlight video: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11...indenwood.aspx

Daily Collegian recap #1: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...8e040bb37.html

Daily Collegian recap #2: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...7acbf1afa.html

Comment

• Today's game with Lindenwood is at 2:00 (Eastern)...

BTN+ video: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1050231

Live stats: http://pennstate.sidearmsports.com/s...hockey/summary

Comment

• Today is THON Awareness Day and Superhero Day at the 2:00 Lindenwood game, so Penn State asked women's hockey players what super powers they would like to have.

Video: https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...26238862692352

Comment

• After one, Penn State is up on Lindenwood 1-0 on a goal from Rachel Weiss. Lindenwood has four penalties and Penn State has two. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 20-2. The first period was all Penn State from start to finish, not even close.

Comment

• After two, Penn State is up 2-0 on a second period goal from Anna Promersberger. Shots on goal are 34-5 for Penn State. Lindenwood has five penalties, Penn State has four. Penn State isn't letting Lindenwood get anything set up offensively, as the "shots on goal" stat shows. Play is getting a little more chippy, but not out of control.

Comment

• Penn State takes the win and the sweep of Lindenwood with a final score of 4-1, on a rocket of a goal from Julie Gough and an empty-netter from Kiara Zanon. Both teams took seven penalties in the game. Shots on goal were 54-18 for Penn State, and the Lindenwood goalie really kept a lot more out of her net. Despite only 18 Lindenwood shots, Josie Bothun made some great saves for Penn State, too. This game was never close, and it looked like Penn State finally found lines they're comfortable with.

On Kiara Zanon's late empty-netter, she and Natalie Heising really only had to decide who was going to shoot it. Heising had the puck and could have set the program record for goals, but decided to give it to Zanon to tap in. Julie Gough's goal set a program record for consecutive games scoring a goal - she's really found her touch this season.

Way too many penalties in this game (14 total), but that's the CHA, and even then the refs let a lot more go. If nothing else, at least Penn State isn't going to sit back and let a team push them around.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 11-06-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• (A correction on something: Julie Gough tied the program record for consecutive games with a goal, not set the new record)
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Here is the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11...rence-win.aspx

And the Daily Collegian game recap: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...422ef5ed2.html

Comment

• There is certainly nothing to really get excited over a sweep of Lindenwood, but as Zamboni says there is a lot of parity this year. Shelly Looney certainly had her team ready to play in game 1 and not so much in game 2. Bothun had a solid weekend. Heising, Zanon and Gough are getting hot. Lots of different names getting on the score sheet too. PSU can feel good going into Syracuse.

​​​​​

Comment

There is certainly nothing to really get excited over a sweep of Lindenwood, but as Zamboni says there is a lot of parity this year. Shelly Looney certainly had her team ready to play in game 1 and not so much in game 2. Bothun had a solid weekend. Heising, Zanon and Gough are getting hot. Lots of different names getting on the score sheet too. PSU can feel good going into Syracuse.

​​​​​
                    What do you think about Penn State having a bye weekend before heading to Syracuse? I kind of wish they were going next weekend...sort of a "strike while the iron's hot" kind of thing. Syracuse has a bye weekend, too, so both teams will be rested.

Comment

• Syracuse and Penn State is always a classic battle, why not be rested. Somehow Polaski and Siemanschy were allowed to walk. Klimek is still there. Syracuse needed ot to beat RIT in game 1. So who knows what is going on there. I'd rather come off of playing Lindenwood as opposed to facing RIT and Then Syracuse. Syracuse will bounce you around much like Lindenwood, but have more skill. I really don't know what RIT has as their coach had big turnover again. So yes I like to go from physical to physical. I also see from the box scores, Wallin didn't play again so maybe you get her back. Byrnes finally came back after missing a number of games. The Syracuse goalie is leading the CHA, but I'm taking Bothun over her all day.

Comment

• Originally posted by zambonidriver
                        Wallin is out with Tommy John. Last shift against Brown. They tried a new treatment if it works se will be back in time for DC, if not it is surgery
                        Hoping and praying for the best because she is an Awesome kid.
                        Ouch...elbow surgery doesn't sound good for a shooter like Wallin. She's missed, but her health comes before hockey, and I hope her recovery goes well.

Comment

• Just noticed Syracuse plays Cornell Tuesday. It should be be interesting as Cornell is having a bad start to the season although their one win came against Mercy Hurst and split games with Mercy Hurst. Browning is at a .89 save percentage after being at .96 two years ago. It looks like the year off did her no favors, but Maddie Mills is at Northeastern now which could be another explanation. PSU plays Cornell home and home this year.

Comment

I'd rather come off of playing Lindenwood as opposed to facing RIT and then Syracuse. Syracuse will bounce you around much like Lindenwood, but have more skill.
                            Absolutely - I'm glad Penn State got the physical games in with Lindenwood heading into Syracuse. I guess since Syracuse also has a bye weekend, Penn State's bye isn't so bad. And then, after Syracuse, is the "D1 in DC" exhibition with Ohio State, Minnesota-Duluth, and St. Lawrence, so two good physical series should have Penn State ready for that. That's going to be a really interesting exhibition weekend...can't wait to see what Penn State does there.

I really don't know what RIT has, as their coach had big turnover again.
                            Man...what's the fix for RIT? It would be great to get them up a few notches and make CHA competition equally solid top to bottom. They must have a hard time recruiting. I was expecting Celeste Brown to make good changes when she took over coaching there, but it hasn't happened yet. On a sidenote, former Robert Morris head coach Paul Colontino took over coaching the U19 team at Bishop Kearney Select academy in Rochester - and RIT is the only CHA team that may soon be looking for a coaching change if Brown can't get the program on track. Might he be thinking the same thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

Man...what's the fix for RIT? It would be great to get them up a few notches and make CHA competition equally solid top to bottom. They must have a hard time recruiting. I was expecting Celeste Brown to make good changes when she took over coaching there, but it hasn't happened yet. On a sidenote, former Robert Morris head coach Paul Colontino took over coaching the U19 team at Bishop Kearney Select academy in Rochester - and RIT is the only CHA team that may soon be looking for a coaching change if Brown can't get the program on track. Might he be thinking the same thing?
                              I'll certainly admit to having rose colored glasses for RIT, but there's a lot stacked against them at this point. Ignoring last year, this is Brown's first real year, and more than half of the team are freshman. I've watched a couple of games so far, and they still have a lot to clean up, but show some good signs. Obviously the record and losing games impacts the player's mental state, and that's something you have to rely on the coaches and players to push past.
                              One of the biggest recruiting hurdles has to be the lack of scholarships. At this point, I think there is more D1 talent than D1 homes, so when not being offered a scholarship (at RIT or a D3 school), would a player rather play D3 on a championship team or D1 and lose the majority of the games? I can't answer that, but I suspect they'd rather win.
                              I think RIT being allowed to offer scholarships will only help recruiting (with a bit of a transition period), and I'm hopeful that the NCAA allows it. There apparently is a vote scheduled during the NCAA Convention in January to allow RIT and Union to offer scholarships like every other D1 Hockey Program (sans the military academies and maybe the Ivies?). Info in #10 here: https://www.uscho.com/2021/10/18/mon...n-scoring-run/
                              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                              Men's Frozen Four 2010
                              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• No idea and didn't know on the RMU coach. I think Celeste was a safe choice for RIT. Everyone always wants to get their players, when the players there may be just as good. Celeste either cleaned house or the players left and the result isn't pretty. Hopefully RIT is just looking for stability and not results for Celeste's sake. It's amazing though RIT took Syracuse to Ot, so in any given game. Last year they beat somebody 1-0 with only 6 shots or something like that. Lindenwood almost caught PSU in the first game. Yale has a hot goalie right now and Yale beat Cornell 7-0 and Colgate 4-0.

Comment

Working...
                                X