No announcement yet.

2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penn State has posted the 2021-22 roster (again): https://gopsusports.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/roster

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Hope the former OSU hopeful can play with a chip on her shoulder after watching her OSU commitment video. That really is something that OSU did not honor any of their commitments.
      I watched that video, too, and felt bad hearing how she's basically been "Ohio State or nothing" from the start. There was a point in the video where it was mentioned that things don't always work out the way you want or plan, and at least she sounded aware and accepting of that. Now she's seen it firsthand, and got a taste of how adulting goes sometimes. She picked a pretty good alternative to Ohio State, I think, and she'll get to beat up on Ohio State at the Thanksgiving tournament in DC.

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
      They have 4 pretty good ones with Uhlein, Hemminger, Gangarosa, and Lobdell, so the two additions should fit nicely into a really solid back end.
      It's going to take me a season to stop missing Jessica Adolfsson's size, strength, and smarts on the defensive end. I'd like to see Penn State find more defensive players cut from her mold.

Hopefully the new forwards will add to the fire power up front. The nice thing is it will be real hard to focus on just the line of Heising, Zanon, and Gough, when you also have Weiss, Machado, and Wallin, who I think is the female version of Brett Hull.
      Olivia Wallin would've gotten a lot more recognition if she weren't playing on a team with Kiara Zanon. She has a really good scoring touch and such a deceptively quick shot. Julie Gough really turned up her game last season, too, so it wasn't just the freshmen doing it all. Lots of players making lots of other players better.

Also a real good third line of Connolly, Ciarrocchi, and Dobson, who provide energy with scoring. Add the depth of Promersberger, Byrnes, and Lantto with the incoming freshmen and you have some real competition for lineup spots up front. Barring injury, they should make their first trip to the big dance this year. Hopefully they will be playing at Pegula. Over Thanksgiving they will get a big test as they will be playing OSU and Duluth in DC. Should be a fun year.
      Jeff Kampersal has no shortage of offensive options this year, to say the least, especially having no offensive losses to the roster from last year. He's got five full lines of forwards to work with. It's really hard to guess at the possibilities of this season after what they did last year. That was supposed to be a "get your feet wet" season for so many on the roster, and instead they just jumped into D-1 hockey head first. As hockey fans know, though, one season doesn't make a program, so I hope they're spending the summer angry at how last season ended.

Comment

Penn State officially announced Clarkson graduate transfer Avery Mitchell: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/7/...-mitchell.aspx

That finishes their welcomes to the five freshmen and Avery Mitchell, so the roster is set. It would be great to see a schedule, but I'm sure the Robert Morris mess threw a wrench into that process.

Comment

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...4118c974e.html

Comment

Knowing nothing about goalie workouts or training, how does a goalie up her game over the summer? Years ago, Penn State had a coach who was listed as a goalie coach, but that title left when that coach did. What's out there to help a goalie improve in the off-season?

The only thing I can remember ever seeing of a goalie in the off-season was a video of Chantal Burke catching arrows that somebody was shooting at her.

Comment

CHA posted a schedule for Penn State on Instagram. Non conference events:
              SLU, BC, Holy Cross, Brown, D1 in DC, New Hampshire, Battle of the Burgh (?!), Cornell, LIU

Who are the D1 in DC teams this year? Ohio state and...

Lindenwood has 12 of 14 non conf games against WCHA teams wow. I wonder if that will be a standard thing in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                SLU, BC, Holy Cross, Brown, D1 in DC, New Hampshire, Battle of the Burgh (?!), Cornell, LIU

Lindenwood has 12 of 14 non conf games against WCHA teams wow. I wonder if that will be a standard thing in the future...
                Ohio State, PSU, Minnesota-Duluth, and St. Lawrence. Penn State is playing Minnesota Duluth in the first game (11/26) according to the schedule here: https://chawomenshockey.com/calendar...season=2021-22
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

I am wondering if Lindenwood is starting to posture itself to join the WCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post

Ohio State, PSU, Minnesota-Duluth, and St. Lawrence. Penn State is playing Minnesota Duluth in the first game (11/26) according to the schedule here: https://chawomenshockey.com/calendar...season=2021-22
                    From what we have heard is that PSU will play UMD and OSU in DC.
                    Battle of the Burgh is SCSU, Syracuse, PSU, and BU

Comment

I am wondering if Lindenwood is starting to posture itself to join the WCHA?
                      From its first season, Lindenwood played a lot of WCHA games. I'm assuming that comparative proximity to those teams is the biggest reason.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        From its first season, Lindenwood played a lot of WCHA games. I'm assuming that comparative proximity to those teams is the biggest reason.
                        True but I don’t think it’s ever been this extreme. I know 2017 - 2020 all CHA teams played more WCHA teams due to UND folding. I thought we would return to pre ‘17 like schedules with WCHA getting back to 8.

Instead this year, which may not be indicative of what the future holds, we see more WCHA than usual on Lindenwood, and less on Hurst. Just an observation, not drawing anything from it. I like Hurst’s schedule and Penn State having numerous Hockey East opponents will allow for some good comparisons.

Certainly a WCHA heavy schedule for Lindenwood makes sense due to geography, and perhaps budgets also incentivize this, and some of it may be a preference of Coach Looney who is now in her third year.

Addition of NEWHA to the D1 slate probably also plays a factor.
                        Last edited by Lindsay; 07-15-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

From what we have heard is that PSU will play UMD and OSU in DC.
                          Battle of the Burgh is SCSU, Syracuse, PSU, and BU
                          interesting. Preset opponents rather than seeing who wins game 1. To get the cross conference comparisons, this makes sense.

CHA needs to clarify the battle of the burg. Composite schedule has it taking place in November and January. I don’t see it on BU’s schedule but maybe I am reading stuff wrong. At any rate very exciting to see schedules with inter conference play again!

Comment

interesting. Preset opponents rather than seeing who wins game 1. To get the cross conference comparisons, this makes sense.

CHA needs to clarify the battle of the burg. Composite schedule has it taking place in November and January. I don’t see it on BU’s schedule but maybe I am reading stuff wrong. At any rate very exciting to see schedules with inter conference play again!
                            Jan 1 and 2 Hotel is reserved

Comment

This is what I have for the 2021-22 Penn State schedule, going by the CHA composite. All kinds of east teams in the non-conference matchups, and some good tests for Penn State.

(home) Sep. 23-24 vs St. Lawrence
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              (home) Sep. 30/Oct.1 vs Boston College
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              (home) Oct. 8-9 vs Holy Cross
                              (away) Oct. 23-24 vs Brown
                              (away) Oct. 29-30 vs Mercyhurst
                              (home) Nov. 5-6 vs Lindenwood
                              (away) Nov. 19-20 vs Syracuse
                              (away) Nov. 26 vs UMD, Nov. 27 vs Ohio State (D1 in DC Tournament)
                              (away) Dec. 9-10 vs New Hampshire
                              (away) Jan. 1 vs St. Cloud, Jan. 2 vs Boston University (Battle In The 'Burgh Tournament)
                              (home) Jan. 11 vs Cornell
                              (away) Jan. 14-15 vs RIT
                              (away) Jan. 21-22 vs Lindenwood
                              (home) Jan. 28-29 vs Mercyhurst
                              (home) Feb. 4-5 vs Syracuse
                              (away) Feb. 8 vs Cornell
                              (away) Feb. 11-12 vs LIU
                              (home) Feb. 18-19 vs RIT
                              CHA Tournament Feb. 24-26, hosted at regular season champion

Comment

Certainly a WCHA heavy schedule for Lindenwood makes sense due to geography, and perhaps budgets also incentivize this, and some of it may be a preference of Coach Looney who is now in her third year.
                                I'd guess that there is also a Covid factor, with a desire to reduce travel and especially flying. While hours and hours together in a bus would certainly be conducive to spreading the virus, it is at least a more-controlled bubble.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X