2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• D1 in DC: Penn State matched up very well with #6 UMD in game one, and this was the game I was really looking forward to, being a Duluth native. Both teams seemed focused on defense, and both teams did a great job of making the other have to force things offensively. I thought Penn State did a great job of shutting down any kind of set plays from UMD, and was every bit as quick. Jeff Kampersal put together a great game plan for handling UMD. It was a fun game to watch, and the only thing missing was a decent powerplay showing from Penn State.

The game against #2 Ohio State was a different beast altogether. They were faster and stronger than Penn State, and that's what dictated the game. Penn State plays a "battle on the boards" game, and is usually very good at it, but Ohio State was winning those battles and muscling Penn State off the puck. Offensively, Penn State had to play the same as it did against UMD, relying on whatever they could generate quickly rather than any sustained offense. Both of Penn State's goals came on 5-on-3 powerplays - that pretty much sums up how it went offensively for Penn State. Still, they played a 4-2 game against the #2 team, so there's certainly no shame in that.

Overall, it was a great weekend of hockey, and I'm really glad Penn State got the opportunity to play two ranked and very good teams. There was so much to learn from this weekend in DC, and it should be a big boost for Penn State going forward in the rest of the season. Fun stuff!

Comment

• Three of four of their goals were pp. The fourth and only even strength goal came 22 seconds after the first goal. PSU should have been awarded a penalty shot when 8 made a hand pass in the crease when Dobson and Gough were jamming away at the puck. Kampersal needs to figure out how to get more scoring out of forwards as Heising is only forward with goals this weekend with Lobdell and Gangarosa chipping in.

Comment

• CHA weekly awards for Natalie Heising and Lyndie Lobdell: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11...-the-week.aspx

Comment

• National tournament tickets at Penn State on March 18-20 are now on sale: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11...-sale-now.aspx

I don't know what kind of crowd the tournament usually generates, so you might want to jump on hotel reservations if you're planning on coming to Penn State for the weekend (State College isn't exactly a sprawling metropolis).

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 11-30-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• This is probably a dumb question, but being at Penn State a women's national tournament has never been a thing, so I've never had a team in the tournament: is there ever video streaming of the tournament, or is it a "be there or you miss it" thing? I probably wouldn't go if Penn State doesn't make at least the first round, but it would still be fun to watch. Does the NCAA decide on a video stream, or does the host get that option?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                This is probably a dumb question, but being at Penn State a women's national tournament has never been a thing, so I've never had a team in the tournament: is there ever video streaming of the tournament, or is it a "be there or you miss it" thing? I probably wouldn't go if Penn State doesn't make at least the first round, but it would still be fun to watch. Does the NCAA decide on a video stream, or does the host get that option?
                The NCAA usually controls all streaming of their championship events. Last year, one Semifinal was on ESPN3, and the other semi- and the final were on ESPNU.

Edit: here's the story announcing it last year: https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...ed-on-tsn.aspx
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• Penn State heads to New Hampshire this week for a Thursday/Friday matchup with the UNH Wildcats, and it's the last series before the three-week holiday break. I haven't seen anything about video streaming on either team's schedule, so that's probably not happening. I don't know if UNH ever does videos at their home games, but it would be fun to watch. I'm wondering if Olivia Wallin will get back in the lineup this season, but this wouldn't be the series to bring her back when there's a three-week break coming - she could do a little more recovering before the important second half of the schedule. Then again, maybe some shifts in a non-conference game might be good for her. Who knows? That's why I'm not a coach.

The more exciting upcoming series is the Jan. 1-2 "Battle In The 'Burgh" tournament in Pittsburgh, with Penn State, Syracuse, St. Cloud, and Boston University. Penn State opens that one against St. Cloud, and hopefully gets a shot at Syracuse...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Anyway, hockey on Thursday and Friday at New Hampshire to end the first half of this 2021-22 season.

Comment

Penn State heads to New Hampshire this week for a Thursday/Friday matchup with the UNH Wildcats, and it's the last series before the three-week holiday break. I haven't seen anything about video streaming on either team's schedule, so that's probably not happening. I don't know if UNH ever does videos at their home games, but it would be fun to watch. I'm wondering if Olivia Wallin will get back in the lineup this season, but this wouldn't be the series to bring her back when there's a three-week break coming - she could do a little more recovering before the important second half of the schedule. Then again, maybe some shifts in a non-conference game might be good for her. Who knows? That's why I'm not a coach.

The more exciting upcoming series is the Jan. 1-2 "Battle In The 'Burgh" tournament in Pittsburgh, with Penn State, Syracuse, St. Cloud, and Boston University. Penn State opens that one against St. Cloud, and hopefully gets a shot at Syracuse...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Anyway, hockey on Thursday and Friday at New Hampshire to end the first half of this 2021-22 season.
                    Hockey East is in the third year of a deal with CBS College Sports Live to stream all of the home games hosted by HE teams (both Women and Men). This is normally a pay site with an extensive number of schools and sports covered, but the Hockey East games are free. Here is the link to the Women's Hockey games:

https://www.collegesportslive.com/sc...ns-ice-hockey/

I took at look to confirm the Penn State games are there and there is one listed as being yesterday at 9:50 AM. Assuming that this was an error while adding the games and hopefully the Thursday & Friday games will be added.

The camera work and announcers vary from school to school but HE fans are very fortunate to have this resource.

And if you can't watch the games live, they are usually included in the Archive section for a few days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Eagle View Post

Hockey East is in the third year of a deal with CBS College Sports Live to stream all of the home games hosted by HE teams (both Women and Men). This is normally a pay site with an extensive number of schools and sports covered, but the Hockey East games are free. Here is the link to the Women's Hockey games:

I took at look to confirm the Penn State games are there and there is one listed as being yesterday at 9:50 AM. Assuming that this was an error while adding the games and hopefully the Thursday & Friday games will be added.

The camera work and announcers vary from school to school but HE fans are very fortunate to have this resource.

And if you can't watch the games live, they are usually included in the Archive section for a few days.
                      Agreed, I have taken advantage of the free streams from CBS College Sports as I have been interested in keeping track of Hockey East teams like bc and NE to compare to WCHA teams. Technically sound broadcasts and usually quite good announcing as well. I've only seen Penn State once this year by stream so it will be interesting to see them against UNH. They should sweep this series.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Eagle View Post

Here is the link to the Women's Hockey games:

Thanks for the video link! I did see a way to watch Thursday's game, but didn't see anything listed for Friday's game, so maybe they update the video schedule closer to game day.

Comment

Thanks for the video link! I did see a way to watch Thursday's game, but didn't see anything listed for Friday's game, so maybe they update the video schedule closer to game day.
                          Hockey East's Composite schedule has the links to stream. https://hockeyeastonline.com/women/schedule/index.php I'll be watching for behind UNH's attacking net
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

• Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post

Hockey East's Composite schedule has the links to stream. https://hockeyeastonline.com/women/schedule/index.php I'll be watching for behind UNH's attacking net
                            Got it - thanks for that.

I don't know anything about New Hampshire, so what's your take on this series?

Comment

Got it - thanks for that.

I don't know anything about New Hampshire, so what's your take on this series?
                              I really don't know. Penn State looks strong this year, and have had some good results. UNH has better speed and talent than they've had, and can play tight when they're all there and on their A game. Whether that happens?
                              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

• Hockey in 30 minutes (6:00 Eastern) - here's the video link (free - thanks, UNH!): https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...pshire-120921/

And tonight's lineup (Olivia Wallin is back in): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGMv8pgX...g&name=900x900

Comment

Working...
                                X