Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reddington
    replied
    Cloudy with a chance of choppiness describes the current season. That was a bad loss, PSU had a chance to go up by 4-2 with the empty net, but gave one up and then ot was over in a blink of an eye. I'm not sure PSU touched the puck. Meanwhile Syracuse after collapsing in their third period held on to win in a so. The silver lining is PSU really does not want to play Syracuse an extra time.

Happy New Year Zed

Leave a comment:

• Gargoyle
    replied
    Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Ten minutes into this game, Penn State was up 2-0...then they sat back and watched St. Cloud play hockey like a team that wanted to win.
    In the reports about the game, Penn State is referred to as "RV Penn State." Can you explain what the RV stands for? Here's one report I'm looking at: https://scsuhuskies.com/news/2022/1/...enn-state.aspx

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Ten minutes into this game, Penn State was up 2-0...then they sat back and watched St. Cloud play hockey like a team that wanted to win.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    And just like that, St. Cloud wins in OT.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After three, tied, 3-3, it's going to 3-on-3 OT against St. Cloud.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After two, it's 2-1 Penn State up on St. Cloud. That period was all St. Cloud - I don't know what Penn State was doing. St. Cloud outshot Penn State 11-5 and took two penalties.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After one period in Pittsburgh, Penn State is up 2-0 on St. Cloud on goals from Julie Gough (powerplay) and Olivia Wallin (even strength). Shots on goal are 13-7 for Penn State, and Penn State has taken two penalties to St. Cloud's one. St. Cloud is getting good chances, but Penn State plays a smothering defense, and Josie Bothun is standing tall in net. With some small adjustments between periods, and with the holiday rust shaken off now, Penn State could turn things up in this game.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Now the game starts at 7:10, in case you're wondering why your video stream isn't on yet.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Hockey at 7:00 (Eastern), and here's tonight's starting lineup: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FICpHbJX...png&name=small

And the video stream (free) link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekD6cx2hHA0

Olivia Wallin is dressed for tonight, so that's good, and she looks to be fully healed from her arm injury - great news. Looking at the roster, I see Penn State is down to one of the Shirer twins, and the other one is no longer here. Neither one has played yet, so I wonder what the deal is with those two, and how long the remaining sister will be staying at Penn State.

Leave a comment:

• Steamboat
    replied
    Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Tomorrow is the start of the "Battle In The 'Burgh" tournament in Pittsburgh, with Penn State, St. Cloud, Boston University, and Syracuse. The tournament is being held at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, the practice and training facility of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Penn State takes on St. Cloud at 7:00 PM (Eastern), with free video livestream on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekD6cx2hHA0
    Thanks for posting the link. I couldn't get the game through B1G+ and was hoping to view games besides the Badgers. Here's to hoping for a full second half of the season, with as much fan participation as the CDC will allow.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Tomorrow is the start of the "Battle In The 'Burgh" tournament in Pittsburgh, with Penn State, St. Cloud, Boston University, and Syracuse. The tournament is being held at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, the practice and training facility of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Penn State takes on St. Cloud at 7:00 PM (Eastern), with free video livestream on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekD6cx2hHA0

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Question for zambonidriver: what's the deal with the Shirer sisters? Why haven't they played yet?

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Here's a video (4:00) recapping both shutouts in the weekend series at UNH: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...07577382502406

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Looking at the second half of the season, I think PSU is looking at its first 20 win season and the win total should be even higher. However, there are lots of cupcakes on the schedule and if PSU wants any respect, PSU needs to take care of business against St Cloud and the winner of Syracuse/BU. BTW I see Syracuse is playing Princeton today. And then you have Cornell twice and I have never understood how Ivies play on Tuesday Night when they are supposed to be for academia and of course two more games against Syracuse and Mercyhurst.
    I don't get the two Tuesdays against Cornell, but at least the short three-day rest after each of those games come before an RIT series and an LIU series, so the Tuesday games shouldn't hurt too much (no disrespect to RIT or LIU). The back-to-back series against Mercyhurst and Syracuse are going to be key, to say the least. Those are less than a month before the CHA tournament.

The PP is 2-15 in its last 15 tries which is ridiculous. I just find it a luxury that Heising has all these goals and barely any on the pp.
    It's halfway through the season and there's still no answer to the powerplay woes. Sometimes they look decent, and sometimes it looks like they don't know they're on a powerplay. I don't get it, and can't even guess a solution with so much talent on this team. At even strength, they're so determined to work offensive plays from way down low, from the corners, and that ends up how they frequently try the powerplay. The point players will be left alone, wide open, but the play will be banging around in the corners while the powerplay ticks away. I know that's where Natalie Heising loves to start a play and take her shots, but if a good play isn't developing I wish they would go back out to the point and start over.

Which is why I'm not a coach, I suppose.

Conversely, the Zanon/Heising combo is producing. Machado usually starts with them, but as the game goes on other players from the fourth line get chances. For ex: the box score shows Promersberger with them on Thursday night, and on Friday Lantto was out there with them. And there was production.
    I'm really liking Alyssa Machado's game - she's quick, smart, and aggressive. She's a great match on the line with Heising and Zanon. I'd love to know the deal with Jess Ciarrocchi...as a freshman last season, I was impressed with her speed, and really thought she's be turning it up this season, but many times she's either listed as an extra skater or not dressed at all for a game.

Olivia Wallin returning is nice to see. Hopefully, that laser shot is still intact.
    It was great to see her back out on the ice. You could tell she wasn't really going at 100% against UNH, but maybe that was the plan - just get out there, get some shifts, get her game legs back, that kind of thing. Now she knows for sure if she's good to go, or if she needs to do anything over this holiday break. Whatever...it was great to see her back on the ice.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Looking at the second half of the season, I think PSU is looking at its first 20 win season and the win total should be even higher. However, there are lots of cupcakes on the schedule and if PSU wants any respect, PSU needs to take care of business against St Cloud and the winner of Syracuse/BU. BTW I see Syracuse is playing Princeton today. And then you have Cornell twice and I have never understood how Ivies play on Tuesday Night when they are supposed to be for academia and of course two more games against Syracuse and Mercy Hurst.

The PP is 2-15 in its last 15 tries which is ridiculous. I just find it a luxury that Heising has all these goals and barely any on the pp.

Conversely, the Zanon Heising combo is producing. Machado usually starts with them, but as the game goes on other players from the fourth line get chances. For ex: the box score shows Prommersberger with them on Thurs night and on Friday Lanto was out there with them. And there was production.

Wallin returning is nice to see. Hopefully, that laser shot is still intact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X