No announcement yet.

2021-22 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After two, it's Mercyhurst up 3-2 on Penn State, after what must have been a wild second period. Since I don't have the video stream, I'll watch for Lindsey's report on that one...wow, crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      After two, it's Mercyhurst up 3-2 on Penn State, after what must have been a wild second period. Since I don't have the video stream, I'll watch for Lindsey's report on that one...wow, crazy.
      It was so fun and I’m terrified for the third!

Comment

• Prommersberger and Connolly score their first goals. The box score shows the rest of some undesirable stats. Rather than state the obvious stats, the team only had 9 team blocks, the team needs to average 15 a game. Kampersal always seems to have his teams do better the second game.

Comment

• It was an entertaining game, back and forth action and clean. Good pace. Penn outshot Mercy by a healthy margin, Mercy still not getting enough shots away after clean faceoff wins and possession. Both teams had other scoring chances than the goals on the scoreboard but both goalies made some big saves. A healthy crowd of 700+ makes it fun for both teams to play, hopefully it’s the same today.

I honestly think that every team in CHA should do what it takes to put butts in those seats and fill the standing room. Hand out free tickets to area schools, girls or boys hockey teams, etc. You may lose out on some ticket sales, but the food or bar concessions will make more $ and the word will spread on how great these games are to watch.

Comment

• Nice on a healthy crowd of 700! I like your thoughts on getting fans in the seats. A nice 6 o'clock start after work or classes are over for most people helps along with rainy weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              Nice on a healthy crowd of 700! I like your thoughts on getting fans in the seats. A nice 6 o'clock start after work or classes are over for most people helps along with rainy weather.
              yea I think Hurst does a decent job. Not sure it’s 700 in the building or if that’s the season ticket sale plus dropins but it’s a fun atmosphere In a small rink. Border opening soon should be fun with more parents at the games.

Free tickets or very affordable tix for kids is a big thing. Or have a fee but waive it several times a year. Our high school charges for kids and it’s brutal, the little ones can’t last a whole game and as a parent you’re a bit distracted. I’m a die hard women’s sports fan but $30 for me and my 2 littles to go to a girls high school soccer playoff game. Extra ridiculous when you consider there are fewer chances for kids to watch girls/women play. Of course I paid and
              went, but I’m a rarity.

Why no Wallin last night?

Comment

• No clue on Wallin. I also noticed Byrnes was inactive, however she seems to draw in and out.

Comment

• I don't know the deal with Olivia Wallin being out, but that scrambles all the lines...hope she's okay, but she's out for today's game, too. Here's today's lineup:

https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...328837/photo/1

Comment

• After one, it's 0-0 at Mercyhurst. Stats and scoreboard don't match, but stats say Penn State leads the shots on goal by 10-3 (scoreboard says 11-5, so whatever). Mercyhurst took the only penalty. Both teams came out flying, and both defenses are shutting things down, with lots of CHA-type game play and CHA refs that aren't in love with the sound of their whistles. It was a fast period and some fun hockey to watch (got the video today).

Comment

• After two, it's Penn State up 2-0 on goals from Lexi Bedier and Julie Gough. Shots on goal are 22-5 for Penn State, according to the stats. Penn State took a late penalty, so Mercyhurst will start the third with a little powerplay time left. That period was pretty much all Penn State. A big difference I see in this game is Penn State finally passing the puck with some steam, and not sitting back in the defensive zone playing with it. Also, they're going aggressively after the puck, something they haven't been doing, and it's working. Hopefully, that sticks in their heads. Get after it, don't sit and wait for it. Good hockey so far.

Comment

• Penn State shuts out Mercyhurst for the 3-0 win on an empty-netter from Rene Gangarosa, and there could've been a couple more over the third period. Shots on goal were 37-14 for Penn State, which is a big stat against a Mercyhurst team that averages 30-something shots on goal per game. That's the kind of smothering defense Penn State played today. Penn State took two penalties and Mercyhurst took one, so the refs let them play. Ena Nystrom made some big saves for the Lakers, as did Josie Bothun for Penn State.

This is by far the most aggressive I've seen Penn State play, and I hope this is how they play the rest of the season. Gone were the little soft passes to nowhere and the playing around in the defensive zone...instead, they passed like they meant it, hit sticks with them, and broke out of the defensive zone like they haven't been doing. Also, the battles along the boards were epic, and finally Penn State decided to battle rather than sit back. This looked like Penn State from last season. A split on the road with Mercyhurst is always good, but this one is especially good with where both teams were at going into this series.

Comment

• Enough of the breakout mumbo jumbo, as a team they had 14 blocks, held them to 14 shots, yesterday they had 9 blocks and held them to 19 shots. Bothun just needs to get hot and this could be the start. It used to be Penn State clearly went as Heising went, but now it is Bothun. If Bothun can get back to a .94 - .96 save percentage, PSU will be allright. Bedier and Gangarosa with first goals of the year. Since Gough can't seem to crack the first line, maybe either Heising or Zanon can join her on her line or how about both?
                          Last edited by Reddington; 10-30-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Enough of the breakout mumbo jumbo...
                            I mention Penn State's breakout because, so far this season, I haven't seen them move up ice anything like they did today (and probably yesterday, but I didn't watch that one). Longer passes, harder passes, and more accurate passes all day today. That was a big problem for them before this weekend, so it was great to see them moving like that.

...as a team they had 14 blocks, held them to 14 shots, yesterday they had 9 blocks and held them to 19 shots.
                            Blocked shots were huge and made a big difference. Mercyhurst ended up a good bit short of their average shots on goal.

Bothun just needs to get hot and this could be the start. It used to be Penn State clearly went as Heising went, but now it is Bothun. If Bothun can get back to a .94 - .96 save percentage, PSU will be alright.
                            100% spot on - Bothun was off yesterday, for sure...that was her career high for goals given up. I think even Kampersal has said that this team goes as Bothun goes. She sure was on her game today, though, and she got a decent taste of the usual physical play from a CHA opponent (thought she was going to take a Jenna Brenneman swing at someone at one point).

Since Gough can't seem to crack the first line, maybe either Heising or Zanon can join her on her line or how about both?
                            Heising, Zanon, and Wallin would be a tough line to break up, though. Wallin is a natural scorer when she has the chance to really shoot, but Gough has been finding ways to score a lot this season, too (last season, as well). For Kampersal, it's probably "six of one, half dozen of the other" with who gets the spot with Heising and Zanon...Wallin or ? Kampersal seems set on the second line of Dobson, Weiss, and Machado, all of whom play hard, and seem to have really good chemistry. And after those two lines, he's still got enough talent left over for two more good lines, with Julie Gough probably being the best of the bunch. He's got a deep roster, for sure, when Julie Gough can't be fit onto the first or second line. Having said all of that, I would love to see her play with Natalie Heising and Kiara Zanon.

Comment

• Zed are you Dazed And Confused for so long it is not true? Gough was on the first line last year. With or without Zanon or Heising, Gough just produces and may just end up leading PSU in scoring.

I also recall a certain couple of posters getting on 26 last year and she does not certainly look weak with 13.

How about Dobson having all those shots in the first game? I think the journalist was spot on calling her a standout in game one.

Comment

Zed are you Dazed And Confused for so long it is not true? Gough was on the first line last year. With or without Zanon or Heising, Gough just produces and may just end up leading PSU in scoring.

I also recall a certain couple of posters getting on 26 last year and she does not certainly look weak with 13.

How about Dobson having all those shots in the first game? I think the journalist was spot on calling her a standout in game one.
                                I'm Dazed and Confused about what I had for breakfast this morning, much less about lineups more than a week old

I know I'm one who gets on #26 (Mallory Uihlein), but since she's started picking up her game I won't say anything, lest I be Trampled Under Foot for it.

Dobson is a worker...she might not get the goal, but she's the one who gets the play started with her hustle and work, and makes things happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X