Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...ock_id=1035497

Comment

• The coverage on PSU women's hockey seems to be increasing. And I definitely liked Zamboni's comment that the Roar Zone showed up. Many times you can hear a pin drop in far to many games around various venues.

Comment

• After the first period against Holy Cross, it's 0-0. Penn State leads the shots on goal 16-9, but Holy Cross has already blocked another 26 shots...in one period. Holy Cross has taken two penalties and Penn State hasn't taken any yet. Penn State started off slow, but really turned it up. Holy Cross has some fast skaters, but the Penn State defense is good at stuffing plays - I just wish this defense would get better with breaking out of their own zone.

Comment

• After two it's Penn State up 2-1 on Holy Cross on goals from Alyssa Machado and Olivia Wallin. Penn State leads the shots on goal 32-14, and Holy Cross has now blocked 41 additional shots. The second period was all Penn State...strong forecheck, better breakouts, harder battling on the boards, just all around dominated play in the second period.

Comment

• Penn State finally gets its first win of the season by a score of 5-1. Third period goals came from Kiara Zanon, Rachel Weiss, and Mya Vaslet. Penn State shots on goal were 43-20, with Holy Cross blocking another 57 shots. Holy Cross wasn't in this game for the second or third periods, once Penn State got going. I almost wish Penn State had done this series to start the season, so they could've gotten their scoring and drive going before facing harder teams, but whatever...good to see them scoring, battling, and winning. Rachel Weiss was a monster all game, as she usually is, so it was good to see her score.

Comment

• Looks like Kampersal may have found a new center with the Weiss Machado Dobson line being super productive.

​​​​​​Bothun finished at a .95 save percentage. I like that number.

5 different scorers. That's one way to break a slump.

A W is a W.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                Looks like Kampersal may have found a new center with the Weiss Machado Dobson line being super productive.

​​​​​​Bothun finished at a .95 save percentage. I like that number.

5 different scorers. That's one way to break a slump.

A W is a W.
                That line of Weiss, Dobson, and Machado was going full speed all game. Dobson is a scrapper and makes things happen, and Weiss is just loaded with hustle. Machado is going to up her game a ton being with those two.

Comment

• I had to find the Holy Cross goal on Holy Cross Twitter. Sheesh. And the pp went 0-4 again. Back to the drawing board. The pk is 14/15 so whatever is being done there is solid. And I see the frosh # 19 scored and Zanon got off the schneid. Those are positives.

Comment

• I missed the first period, but after one it's 1-0 Penn State on a goal from Kiara Zanon, assisted by Natalie Heising for her 100th career point. Penn State has three penalties to Holy Cross's two, which includes a five-minute major to Holy Cross at the end of the first (Mya Vaslet was stretchered off the ice). Shots on goal are 10-9 for Penn State.

Comment

• After two, it's 5-2 Penn State, on second period goals from Carrie Byrnes, Julie Gough, and two goals from Natalie Heising. Penn State leads the shots on goal 30-15. Penn State finally scored on the powerplay, so that monkey is off their backs. Penalties are a problem, though, as Penn State has taken six penalties already to Holy Cross's five. As the score shows, Penn State pretty much owned the period, and Holy Cross doesn't look like they have anything that will change much of the game in the third, but we'll see.

Comment

• Annie Spring is taking over in net for the third period.

Comment

• Penn State takes the win 6-2 on a third period goal from Mallory Uihlein. Shots on goal were 40-25 for Penn State. Penalties were ridiculous...10 for Penn State and 8 for Holy Cross - you don't want this crew working your game. Annie Spring looked great in net and made some really good saves. That's a sweep for Penn State, and rather than being a real test series it was one that allowed Penn State to take some chances and turn its game up a little. That's going to be good for confidence, and for just giving players the experience of winning games when they go after it a little harder like they did this weekend. Natalie Heising is two points away from becoming the program all-time leading scorer after her three-point game today (two goals and an assist).

Comment

• Nice insight. Liked Gough and Byrnes scoring and Heising and Zanon heating up. Hope the player that was carted out is okay. The live stats this year have been terrible. PSU will have to club Brown just to get to .500 and those are two more get right games. The ying and the yang: the pp scores 3 and the pk gives up two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              Hope the player that was carted out is okay.
                              That was freshman Mya Vaslet, who is one of their bigger forwards (she's listed at 5'9"). Penn State put out a tweet that I'll just quote here instead of a link:

"Mya was taken to the hospital following her injury in last night’s game. She has been treated and released and is doing well. Thank you for your thoughts and words of encouragement for Mya."

That's good news, because she was on the second line with Julie Gough and Maeve Connolly. Vaslet hasn't been bad so far, just the usual freshman slow start, but she's starting to get more aggressive already. She's quick, with a long reach, and goes right in for battles along the board...it will be interesting to watch her progression.

Comment

• Meike meuiller 2.0

Comment

Working...
                                X