[Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Please tell me you're being rhetorical.
      I think he was being facetious.

Comment

• Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post

From what I saw at the FF, didn't Gustavus only have 22 rostered players? That seems very low. Maybe Carroll has changed the last three or four years? Or potentially recruits caught on too?
        Years ago some of my former 19U teammates went to MIAC schools to play hockey and based on the stories they used to tell, he used to be known for recruiting enough kids to basically turn over his roster every 2 years. The story used to be that he had enough current and former players on campus to field 2 very good hockey teams, so in his case it's not so much that he carries a large roster each year. It's more a case of, if you were a good player then he tried to recruit you no matter how many kids he already had coming in each year and that way the other MIAC schools couldn't have you even if you only lasted a couple of years on his roster. Transferring wasn't nearly as big a thing as it is today and typically once those girls were on campus for a year or so and had developed friendships and liked their major they didn't consider transferring just to play hockey for another year or two. Maybe priorities have changed over the years but in theory your education should be your top priority in college shouldn't it?! Lol
        Last edited by shelfit; 04-20-2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post

I think he was being facetious.
          That’s the word I meant! (Good grief.)
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Question for the group, and I apologize if this has been addressed/answered before. Is there anything in place that a school can remove a player's scholarship if they opt to be put in the transfer portal? Even if the player ends up not transferring, they would be there without their scholarship now. Making it available (potentially) to a walk-on. Do schools do this? Can they do this? Just curious.

Comment

• NCAA rules are pretty clear. Once you are in the portal, your current school has no more obligation to you. Any scholarship money you had the coach can redistribute. So it is not a zero-risk move by the player if they are just looking to test the waters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                NCAA rules are pretty clear. Once you are in the portal, your current school has no more obligation to you. Any scholarship money you had the coach can redistribute. So it is not a zero-risk move by the player if they are just looking to test the waters.
                Another thing to point out- most scholarships are only given one year at a time. So even if a player doesn’t enter the portal, that money could still be taken away & redistributed. Fifth year grad transfers are getting scholarship money from somewhere…likely from scholarship “redistribution”

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

Another thing to point out- most scholarships are only given one year at a time. So even if a player doesn’t enter the portal, that money could still be taken away & redistributed. Fifth year grad transfers are getting scholarship money from somewhere…likely from scholarship “redistribution”
                  Are you sure about that? Every female hockey player that I have known who has been on a D1 scholarship was given a 4 year commitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
                    Are you sure about that? Every female hockey player that I have known who has been on a D1 scholarship was given a 4 year commitment.
                    I have read from previous discussions on different threads on this site over the years the scholarships are technically year to year. I assumed they were 4 yr commitments because the players in any sport always were there 4 years.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post

That is absolutely true. Scholarships are year to year and can be taken away at any time. This is an NCAA wide rule.

And it is these rules which is why I have very little sympathy for those coaches and schools who cry me a river about players not being loyal and jumping at the first inconvenience. When that lack of loyalty and inconvenience is a strategy of coaches and schools throughout D1 sports.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• The confusion on the year to year and the four year - you are both right. Big Ten Schools are 4 yr scholarships because of football. The football rules filter down to everyone even if you do not actually play in the Big Ten. All other schools are year to year. It used to be unheard of for a coach to say they are not renewing you, that may be going on now. However, schools such as Wisconsin and Minnesota have been you pay for two we pay for two. That lends itself to some wiggle room. Lastly, the scholarship money is coming from somewhere is correct and it is coming from either prospective commits that don't get to sign, like OSU and or players that are just not getting enough playing time to warrant the commitment and are leaving the program either by their choice or by the Coach saying you should explore other options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                          The confusion on the year to year and the four year - you are both right. Big Ten Schools are 4 yr scholarships because of football. The football rules filter down to everyone even if you do not actually play in the Big Ten. All other schools are year to year. It used to be unheard of for a coach to say they are not renewing you, that may be going on now. However, schools such as Wisconsin and Minnesota have been you pay for two we pay for two. That lends itself to some wiggle room. Lastly, the scholarship money is coming from somewhere is correct and it is coming from either prospective commits that don't get to sign, like OSU and or players that are just not getting enough playing time to warrant the commitment and are leaving the program either by their choice or by the Coach saying you should explore other options.
                          Very good explanation, thank you. I know of one player currently in the portal who was told her scholarship would not be renewed. Unfortunately that’s probably happening more often due to 5th year option. Also I have heard that some goalies are not given scholarships until they become the one of the starters, which may not be until junior year. Makes sense and has probably been happening for many years (not a result of Covid). Kind of like the “you pay 2, we pay 2” deal. Given all of these factors, I always chuckle when I hear (clueless) parents of u10 players talk about “getting a full ride” for college. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

Given all of these factors, I always chuckle when I hear (clueless) parents of u10 players talk about “getting a full ride” for college. Lol
                            It is definitely comical. Best quote I ever read on hockey was something along the lines of “I play hockey for one reason only, because I absolutely love the game.”

But sure, focus on your U10 playing to get a scholarship.

Comment

• Of course it could be different now, but colleges for the most part used to give out half rides to goalies. I think that explains the OSU goalie in the portal. She may think she has earned a chance for a full ride somewhere for a year and was willing to roll the dice. That has to be tempting for a Coach that is on a hot seat.

Comment

• April 29th Portal update. (credit to the poster on GPL for the information)

Now in the Portal
                                ELLIE ANDERSON SCSU Forward
                                NATALIE TULCHINSKY Boston College Forward
                                MAKENNA WEBSTER Wisconsin Forward
                                PAULA BERGSTROM LIU Defense
                                JENNA HOOPS Saint Michael's Forward
                                OLIVIA RINZEL Union Goalie
                                GENEVIEVE HENDRICKSON Franklin Pierce Forward

Someone is going to get one heck of a player in Webster.
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X