Transfer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agfire View Post
    Ha, we all know coaches read these posts.
    I do not!

Oh, wait ...

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      I do not!

Oh, wait ...
      Maybe there should be a separate Coaches' Portal. Any news on that front, head or assistant?
      (besides Ohio State) <wink>
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Maybe there should be a separate Coaches' Portal. Any news on that front, head or assistant?
        (besides Ohio State) <wink>
        Yeah yeah. We all know there will be a new assistant coach at Ohio State next season. After all, a hockey program can't break tradition right? It's bad luck!
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-07-2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Yeah yeah. We all know there will be a new assistant coach at Ohio State next season. After all, a hockey program can't break tradition right? It's bad luck!
          Now who left....
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Now who left....
            No one - yet!
            But every season it seems we have a new assistant coach. West came on a year ago and Hickel last summer. Before that Cassels for a season, McMillen for 2 seasons, Elander for a season. I'd list more but I can't remember the names and on the team page all previous assistant coaches starting for the 18-19 season have been mysteriously deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

No one - yet!
              But every season it seems we have a new assistant coach. West came on a year ago and Hickel last summer. Before that Cassels for a season, McMillen for 2 seasons, Elander for a season. I'd list more but I can't remember the names and on the team page all previous assistant coaches starting for the 18-19 season have been mysteriously deleted.

As best I can come up with scrolling through the archived press releases:
              - Muzz hired 9/2016
              - Jess Koizumi for the 2016-2017 season
              - Milica McMillen 2017-18 and 2018-19
              - Peter Elander for 2017-18
              - Andrew Cassels for 2018-19
              - Emily West for 2019-20 and 2020-21
              - James Wisniewski (volunteer) 2019-20
              - Zoe Hickel for 2020-21

------------

For a comparison, Mark Johnson's staff at Wisconsin is:
              - Dan Koch, associate HC since 2011
              - Jackie (Friesen) Crum, assistant coach since 2009
              - Mark Greenhaigh, volunteer goalie coach since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

As best I can come up with scrolling through the archived press releases:
                - Muzz hired 9/2016
                - Jess Koizumi for the 2016-2017 season
                - Milica McMillen 2017-18 and 2018-19
                - Peter Elander for 2017-18
                - Andrew Cassels for 2018-19
                - Emily West for 2019-20 and 2020-21
                - James Wisniewski (volunteer) 2019-20
                - Zoe Hickel for 2020-21

------------

For a comparison, Mark Johnson's staff at Wisconsin is:
                - Jackie (Friesen) Crum, assistant coach since 2009
                - Mark Greenhaigh, volunteer goalie coach since 2007
                It would be fascinating to ask Muzzy how she feels about the lack of continuity in the staff and if it's a goal of her's to try and stabilize that. Coaches teach and different coaches have different viewpoints and ideas that they hang their hat on and every year you build on those concepts with the players. I wonder Watts the players really think about it. Obviously on the surface they would just tow the Muzzy line.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

It would be fascinating to ask Muzzy how she feels about the lack of continuity in the staff and if it's a goal of her's to try and stabilize that. Coaches teach and different coaches have different viewpoints and ideas that they hang their hat on and every year you build on those concepts with the players. I wonder Watts the players really think about it. Obviously on the surface they would just tow the Muzzy line.
                  Yeah, it is kind of a thing with all the assistant turnovers isn't it? I don't have any inside info on why it's been happening here but my gut says it's Muzzy's way or the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    And Koch has more UW years, as his first stint started even before Johnson arrived.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• So the changes that the ncaa made yesterday about allowing a player to transfer once and not sit out doesn't apply to women's hockey because they never had that rule applied to them in the first place, correct? Other than transferring between B16 teams, then they had to sit out, but that was a conference thing.

Comment

• Copied from the men's forum:

I have zero problem with graduate transfers. If a player can pick up a degree and move on to get a master's (or at least a leg up towards one), then more power to him/her. But I have a big problem with the kind of unrestricted free agency into which the portal is morphing. The whole thing is being driven by P5 football and basketball, which has found a convenient way to dispose of their underperformers and replace them with kids who were previously overlooked or were significantly developed by coaching staffs at institutions with far fewer resources. The rich get richer. And don't get me started with the new reality motivating some (not all) athletes to play for the name on the back of the sweater instead of the name on the front.

Also annoying is the fact that the very people who are pushing athlete rights completely discount, ignore, and dismiss as irrelevant the value of the underlying scholarship (currently north of $65K/yr at my undergrad school). There are unintended consequences to all of this "liberation" and that is the athletes who don't have a legitimate degree to fall back on if they don't get drafted, don't get signed as a free agent, don't make the cut at the next level, and thus never make the "big money."

There are more than a few once-famous college athletes who ended up selling shoes or driving delivery trucks when the dream didn't materialize. It's a scandal and almost nobody cares.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          Copied from the men's forum:

I have zero problem with graduate transfers. If a player can pick up a degree and move on to get a master's (or at least a leg up towards one), then more power to him/her. But I have a big problem with the kind of unrestricted free agency into which the portal is morphing. The whole thing is being driven by P5 football and basketball, which has found a convenient way to dispose of their underperformers and replace them with kids who were previously overlooked or were significantly developed by coaching staffs at institutions with far fewer resources. The rich get richer.
                          I do think in Women's hockey it is a chance for someone who is buried on the depth chart of a top team to get a new chance to shine somewhere else. I am specifically thinking about Hanzlik transfering from WI to Bob Morris last year and Greig to 'Gate this year. But of course the rich can also get richer as well, you know Watts I mean, though that was a lateral move (or even a move downward! LOL!) according to T3.

Comment

• When did the transfer portal become a thing?

The rich are already so incredibly rich I don’t know if the portal makes it any worse.

Comment

• Heard thru the grapevine the other day that Yale is picking up at least 1 skater from a prominent WCHA team. Any other interesting movement out there y'all have heard about?

Comment

• Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                                Heard thru the grapevine the other day that Yale is picking up at least 1 skater from a prominent WCHA team. Any other interesting movement out there y'all have heard about?
                                With so many women in the portal, you would think there would be some more movement by now.

Comment

Working...
                                X