Transfer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

During the season? Are you referring to Eden?
    Who else?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Who else?
      It isn't quite the same, but similar. First line winger for Northeastern Maureen Murphy transferred from Providence to Northeastern after 2019-2020. Hockey East has a conference rule that she would have had to sit out a full year, but they apparently waived it, such that Murphy started playing at the end of January, even later than Eden did for Wisconsin.
      Last edited by robertearle; 03-25-2021, 03:46 AM.

Comment

I heard at least 2 underclassman have entered the maroon and gold colored portal.

Comment

Who else?
          She was never in the portal. From the WI ST Journal:

"There’s no delay for players who transfer between schools in NCAA women’s hockey. But there’s still a sometimes exhaustive process to go through.

Not so with Eden for two reasons:
          • She never started at Princeton, so she didn’t have to go through the transfer portal.
          • Ivy League schools don’t use the National Letter of Intent that ties players to a team until they’re released.
          Despite not having to clear those barriers, Eden was a prisoner of paperwork before she could get on the LaBahn Arena ice."

The article also states that she tried to enroll for the fall, but by the time Princeton pulled the plug the window was too tight to get enrolled for the fall.

Here's the whole article. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...27265deb6.html
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

She was never in the portal. From the WI ST Journal:

"There’s no delay for players who transfer between schools in NCAA women’s hockey. But there’s still a sometimes exhaustive process to go through.

Not so with Eden for two reasons:
            • She never started at Princeton, so she didn’t have to go through the transfer portal.
            • Ivy League schools don’t use the National Letter of Intent that ties players to a team until they’re released.
            Despite not having to clear those barriers, Eden was a prisoner of paperwork before she could get on the LaBahn Arena ice."

The article also states that she tried to enroll for the fall, but by the time Princeton pulled the plug the window was too tight to get enrolled for the fall.

Here's the whole article. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...27265deb6.html
            We touched on Eden and the transfer portal on another thread and I don't think that she wasn't in the transfer portal came up or it could have and it simply didn't register in my mind.
            So this is new to me, thanks for clarifying.
            Now, that the Ivy League doesn't do letters of intent is new to me as well. A letter of intent besides a commitment between a player and a school is also a guarantee that scholarship money to some degree will be awarded. Players who are not getting scholarship money do not sign letters. How do they award scholarship guarantees that meet NCAA rules without the letter? I had always thought the letter was part of NCAA rules and couldn't be bypassed?
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-25-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

How do they award scholarship guarantees that meet NCAA rules without the letter? I had always thought the letter was part of NCAA rules and couldn't be bypassed?
              It is my understanding that they don't. I have a friend whose daughter was a swimmer good enough to get a scholarship pretty much anywhere. She chose Penn, and received no athletic scholarship of any kind, because they simply do not give them out.
              Last edited by robertearle; 03-25-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                I heard at least 2 underclassman have entered the maroon and gold colored portal.
                BC, Duluth, or Minnesota?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

It is my understanding that they don't. I have a friend whose daughter was a swimmer good enough to get a scholarship pretty mush anywhere. She chose Penn, and received no athletic scholarship of any kind, because they simply do not give them out.
                  Right, I said that, if no scholarship money is awarded there is no letter. I thought the NCAA required it whenever there is scholarship money is involved. Can't believe a D1 program wouldn't do any scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

BC, Duluth, or Minnesota?
                    Minnesota rumor has it one to cornell the other to St. Thomas

Comment

Right, I said that, if no scholarship money is awarded there is no letter. I thought the NCAA required it whenever there is scholarship money is involved. Can't believe a D1 program wouldn't do any scholarships.
                      Ivy Leagues do not give any scholarship money at all- hence no need for NLI.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

Ivy Leagues do not give any scholarship money at all- hence no need for NLI.
                        I guess that a number of the women's forum posters have not been on the men's forum much. This topic on the Ivy League has been bantered about a bit and the Ivy posters have repeatedly stated: The Ivy League only gives scholarship money based on need. No athletic scholarships are given. A few of posters on the men's side still question if this is really true. (roll eyes)
                        Last edited by vicb; 03-25-2021, 11:27 AM.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post

Minnesota rumor has it one to cornell the other to St. Thomas
                          Pure Speculation as I have no idea.

Goalie room is potentially really crowded next year if Bench hangs around...

Don't think it's a D but...1 D's High School teammate is headed to the Big Red next year.

5 freshmen forwards coming in next year to a lineup that already had a couple of this years freshmen forwards not getting playing time. This seems likely were one or both would come from

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Right for Ivy, no athletic money, no NLI. All you get is admitted, and that assumes an honorable coach who will not 'over commit' and then drop the players they don't want by claiming "oh sorry you did not make it through admissions". No NLI means no formal commitments from the school to a player. And of course assumes the coach is not on the take to use one of their 'slots' for a non-athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                              And of course assumes the coach is not on the take to use one of their 'slots' for a non-athlete.
                              Then it's a good thing USC doesn't have women's hockey! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                                Right for Ivy, no athletic money, no NLI. All you get is admitted, and that assumes an honorable coach who will not 'over commit' and then drop the players they don't want by claiming "oh sorry you did not make it through admissions". No NLI means no formal commitments from the school to a player. And of course assumes the coach is not on the take to use one of their 'slots' for a non-athlete.
                                This actually works both ways with women's hockey. Many women use hockey to help get into an Ivy league school then quit. You are paying anyway and if you are not a top player/getting ice time, why bother.

Comment

Working...
                                X