No announcement yet.

Transfer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming Giguere is on the Hockey Canada radar for the Olympics, why would a coach take her as a transfer just to potentially lose her to centralization? (I’m not very familiar with how the centralizing process works, but I’m guessing the player would miss most of the college season)

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
      Assuming Giguere is on the Hockey Canada radar for the Olympics, why would a coach take her as a transfer just to potentially lose her to centralization? (I’m not very familiar with how the centralizing process works, but I’m guessing the player would miss most of the college season)
      If she (or Watts) were to be "centralized", they would miss the entire collegiate season. But the year would not count against the "five year" (and now six year) window to complete their four years (and now five) of eligibility. Giguere could play for the Canadian National team in 2021-22 and then for whoever in 2022-2023.

Not that I know anything particularly, but I have read that both Watts and Giguere are longshots to actually make the national team and be "centralized". Here, for example:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/arti...hockey-roster/

Comment

You are probably right, but I bet at least one
        of them gets centralized. Giguère especially fits their template imo and they know she has chemistry with Gabel. Interesting that Fillier is the only projected active college player and she didn’t play this year.

As the Mercyhurst contingent of the forum, I hope Giguère goes to the Hurst! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Oh and dear God...Don't let it be the sinners.
          HA! I love the fact that the USCHO posters think UW is THE destination for transfers. And why not, eh? Ms Watts seems to be doing a fine job as the assistant recruiting communications director.

I sure don't want to see her end up with Frosty or the Muzzinator. That would scare me.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I sure don't want to see her end up with Frosty or the Muzzinator. That would scare me.
            The Muzzinator scares everyone - even us!

Comment

I can make a pretty good guess as to where she's headed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                The Muzzinator scares everyone - even us!
                LOL. I watched the between period interview of her in the semi with WI and she actually came off as having a kinda sympathetic human side as she talked about her players and their psyche, which I found shocking.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

LOL. I watched the between period interview of her in the semi with WI and she actually came off as having a kinda sympathetic human side as she talked about her players and their psyche, which I found shocking.
                  She's a good coach. Might be a bit of a hard*ss but really cares about her players. After the 2018 Frozen Four loss, I don't think she believed the penalty that disallowed their goal was called badly but wanted to take some of the heat off the player that committed the infraction.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleIXHockey View Post
                    I can make a pretty good guess as to where she's headed.
                    Care to share?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckLover View Post
                      According to Grant Kimballs blog, there are 79 women in the transfer portal, including 35 who have joined since March 1.

Is that for ALL Divisions? Surely not just D-1 numbers.

I have heard that non-seniors can enter the portal now looking for a graduate transfer for after their senior year. In other words, for example, a sophmore can enter the portal now and designate that that transfer would be for their 5th year graduate year. Presumably that would allow some planning for players and coaches. Does anyone know if this is actually true? If so, that may explain the big numbers in the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                        Assuming Giguere is on the Hockey Canada radar for the Olympics, why would a coach take her as a transfer just to potentially lose her to centralization?
                        Maybe there are players where it wouldn't be worth the risk, but there aren't many of Giguere's ability.

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                        In other words, for example, a sophmore can enter the portal now and designate that that transfer would be for their 5th year graduate year. Presumably that would allow some planning for players and coaches.
                        It would also tell current teammates that the player is planning to switch allegiances at some point, which would create an unusual dynamic in the locker room.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Maybe there are players where it wouldn't be worth the risk, but there aren't many of Giguere's ability.

It would also tell current teammates that the player is planning to switch allegiances at some point, which would create an unusual dynamic in the locker room.
                          True. But some schools don't have graduate programs or may not have ones in the areas players want. So while I agree, I think most teammates would understand. Its not like you transferred in the middle of your career to Wisconsin which shows you are a really bad person. (that is a joke).

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

True. But some schools don't have graduate programs or may not have ones in the areas players want. So while I agree, I think most teammates would understand. Its not like you transferred in the middle of your career to Wisconsin which shows you are a really bad person. (that is a joke).
                            Agreed on this point. A lot of the names I've seen are seniors at smaller schools who have fewer grad programs than some others.

To advance transfer, I can see a few advantages, namely allowing schools to better plan incoming players. Say you have a large class of incoming freshmen, then two solid transfers fall into your lap and suddenly those players who've committed to four years are going to see less icetime coming in.

On the other side, I feel like it could be less distracting to players to know where they're going for grad school as opposed to playing and having to wait until the offseason to officially figure it out.

Comment

(That must have been some 'power outage'!)

News in the Madison paper on Friday that two Badger players - fourth line forward Dara Greig and third line defense Teagan Grant - are in the transfer portal, while "Defender Kendra Nealey, who was born in Madison and played her first three collegiate seasons at Cornell, said she is planning to join the Badgers."

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...38575366a.html
                              Last edited by robertearle; 04-03-2021, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                (That must have been some 'power outage'!)

News in the Madison paper on Friday that two Badger players - fourth line forward Dara Greig and third line defense Teagan Grant are in the transfer portal, while "Defender Kendra Nealey, who was born in Madison and played her first three collegiate seasons at Cornell, said she is planning to join the Badgers."

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...38575366a.html
                                Greig to Colgate. Lauren Bernard from Clarkson to OSU. OSU is loading up. They must have a lot of space or don’t mind just cutting people.

Comment

Working...
                                X