No announcement yet.

2021 NCAA Championship: No. 1 Northeastern Huskies vs. No. 2 Wisconsin Badgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 NCAA Championship: No. 1 Northeastern Huskies vs. No. 2 Wisconsin Badgers

What a great tournament we've been witnessing. We're now down to the championship game.
    Keys for each of the two teams?
    Other thoughts?
    Predictions?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I can't root for the Nordeasterbunnies...But the sinners? Oy vay!

Very conflicted about this one.

UMD put pressure on the bunnies but they are not as deep and fast as the sinners.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Mark Johnson has a poor track record against top teams in the national title game. Got a bit of it off with the last one but historically when Wisconsin is much better than their finals opponent, they win. When they're even or worse, they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        UMD put pressure on the bunnies but they are not as deep and fast as the sinners.
        Other than the first half of the first period, I was very impressed with Northeastern, the way they came back and dominated UMD in Periods 2 and 3.
        I think the Huskies have the same kind of depth throughout their lineup as WisconSIN, so I expect a great, hard-fought championship game.
        But I'll stay with my original prediction of a Badgers victory, one that likely will go down to the wire.
        4-2 with an empty netter in the final seconds.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Other than the first half of the first period, I was very impressed with Northeastern, the way they came back and dominated UMD in Periods 2 and 3.
          I think the Huskies have the same kind of depth throughout their lineup as WisconSIN, so I expect a great, hard-fought championship game.
          But I'll stay with my original prediction of a Badgers victory, one that likely will go down to the wire.
          4-2 with an empty netter in the final seconds.
          I think Frankel will be the difference and NU wins.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I was very impressed with Northeastern, the way they came back and dominated UMD in Periods 2 and 3.
            A team has to be careful of those dominant periods where they are minus two on the scoreboard, though.

OTOH, this is the contending UW team most likely to play a 5-4 championship game.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Couple of thoughts.....Northeastern will have less jitters and be ready for the speed of the WCHA (not the whole first period to adjust)....both teams have the talent level to be composed when their time arises....both teams know & play their systems to a T, yet can react to given opportunities...who will take what is there rather than force a play......Frankel won’t be as nervous as she was yesterday (imho, giving up the first goal)....both teams will pace themselves for a hard fought game....
              For me, the difference will be Fontaine!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                While Fontaine is more of a threat to score, to be sure, players like LaMantia and Bowlby can ignite offense for Wisconsin. The Badgers don't need their D to score when all three of their forward lines can finish.

To me, Northeastern's biggest advantage is in goal. Blair has been a solid goalie in her career, but she has never maintained the level that Frankel has for the last three seasons. Sure, that's also the team in front of her, but they'll be in front of her again tomorrow. And the level of competition, but it doesn't support my point, so I'll ignore it! In most years, UW would be tighter defensively by tournament time, but I haven't seen that yet this year, likely due to fewer games and practices to nail everything down. Teams typically don't rally from 3-0 down to UW. Yes, they still won, but I'm more used to seeing those games end up 5-0 than, essentially, 3-2.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Agreed that Northeastern likely won't need a period to adjust to the pace of play or the physicality without getting calls. Wisconsin had 8 games this season where they were called for 1 or 0 penalties so they'll need to be on it at even strength.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                    Couple of thoughts.....Northeastern will have less jitters and be ready for the speed of the WCHA (not the whole first period to adjust)....both teams have the talent level to be composed when their time arises....both teams know & play their systems to a T, yet can react to given opportunities...who will take what is there rather than force a play......Frankel won’t be as nervous as she was yesterday (imho, giving up the first goal)....both teams will pace themselves for a hard fought game....
                    Only 2 weeks ago Duluth couldn’t handle the speed of Ohio state and lost 7-1 Wisconsin is another gear faster than Duluth
                    badgers 3 lines is like 3 first lines NE needs to score first and must put 3 or 4 on the board Wisconsin is capable of putting 40 shots more They are like the Alabama of hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Xcfire View Post

Only 2 weeks ago Duluth couldn’t handle the speed of Ohio state and lost 7-1 Wisconsin is another gear faster than Duluth
                      badgers 3 lines is like 3 first lines NE needs to score first and must put 3 or 4 on the board Wisconsin is capable of putting 40 shots more They are like the Alabama of hockey
                      7-2 to be accurate. Love me some Western elitism but...Wisconsin doesn't have a monopoly on talent.

The bunnies have quite a bit of talent as well.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Thank you Fiveholefrenzy! My sixth grade science teacher always said to consider the source! Seriously, I’m with you.....HE has talent...just ask the National team coach’s some of them play for....as was clearly evident in the 1st period vs UMD, it was the speed with some jitters (“coach Flint”) that put them back on their heels....maybe it will be the same tomorrow night but not for as long! It’ll be a great game of quality teams and players.....we should just enjoy it as such!

Comment

Originally posted by Xcfire View Post

To be fair, Northeastern can pile up shots as well. When these two played last season they put 40 on Wisconsin, I believe the most in the Mark Johnson era. Granted Wisconsin put up 55...

I think this is a better Northeastern team than that one but we'll see.

Comment

UMD was only the 4th best team in the WCHA. Northeastern is lucky Minnesota got left out and that they didn't have to play either OSU or UW until the Title game. This gives them a scratch off like chance to pull off a victory. Meaning, not impossible, but highly unlikely. When inter-league play returns, thankfully we won't see a team like Northeastern with the #1 seed again. They may still get to a Title game as a #2-#6 seed, but no way they were the best team in the country this year. I guess the value of my publicly expressed opinion will be able to be judged come tomorrow night, and sure, there is the slight chance I'll be proven wrong, but I'm pretty confident a team I cheer against 99% of the time, will end up victorious. Heck, I might even end up cheering for frigging Northeastern, as it's against my religion to cheer for any Wisconsin teams, but conf pride will keep me conflicted. Then again, it's about time a HE team finally wins a title and makes things more interesting going forward, so GO NORTHEASTERN!!! Fun to cheer for the underdog, lol.

Comment

Glad you could figure all that out....cmon in, the waters just right!

Comment

Working...
                              X