How long does the WCHA have to live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Quick Clarification: It's impossible now because there's only 4 teams. If somehow two new teams come into being, but neither is from the State of Michigan, then I don't foresee any particular need or demand. If UM & MSU get serious, but demand a B1G conference, maybe.

Exiting rabbit hole now.

Don't forget the thread was based on the assumption and premise that when the Illinois program comes into being that their Title IX requirement would met by a woman's hockey program ( it doesn't have to be hockey, but they do need to start a new woman's sport they don't already have).
    THEN we're one team shy of a potential B1G program.

Comment

You know what? I completely forgot about Michigan State's expansion project of Munn Arena. I wonder if it could be possible with the expansion that a woman's program could be feasible?

Comment

With the financial crunch C19 has put on all universities, expansion of athletics not coming any time soon. No one has answered my question about how does the wwcha survive with the men's side gone.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          No one has answered my question about how does the wwcha survive with the men's side gone.
          I don't have an answer for that, not being a follower of the men's WCHA I don't know the dynamics of what's going on there or how any change would impact the women's WCHA.

Comment

As far as Michigan State being the B1G school possibly having the most potential to start women's hockey (if they felt so inclined) the Spartans old arena Dominion Hall still exists and I would assume if they wanted to spend the money it could be revamped and made functional again for a women's program like Ohio State did with their old barn.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              revamped and made functional again for a women's program like Ohio State did with their old barn.
              I don’t mean any ire at you, but if a B1G school adds D1 woho, wreaking havoc on non B1G schools in WCHA and CHA as a result, I sure as heck hope they do it right and create a first class program. Women’s athletes deserve that. Revamping a currently non functional building, just the sound of it seems kind of yuck.

im trying to think of what the real impact is of a BiG Ten women’s league. CHA would be down to 5 teams, and at risk of WCHA stealing Lindenwood, forcing CHA to 4 teams. WCHA would be left with 7 current - 3 B1G teams so 4, plus St Thomas plus Lindenwood if they could steal them, (and it would be robbery!) so back at 6.

But if it happened:
              Assume some reorg within the WCHA to cut costs like crazy. Have to think it would persevere somehow. CHA has always operated on a shoestring budget I think. They too would persevere.

I hate it because of what it would do to CHA short term, but objectively would it be best for women’s hockey? Maybe, not sure. Maybe Niagara will return woho one day, and another western NY or PA team would appear. Interesting off season topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

I don’t mean any ire at you, but if a B1G school adds D1 woho, wreaking havoc on non B1G schools in WCHA and CHA as a result, I sure as heck hope they do it right and create a first class program. Women’s athletes deserve that. Revamping a currently non functional building, just the sound of it seems kind of yuck.

im trying to think of what the real impact is of a BiG Ten women’s league. CHA would be down to 5 teams, and at risk of WCHA stealing Lindenwood, forcing CHA to 4 teams. WCHA would be left with 7 current - 3 B1G teams so 4, plus St Thomas plus Lindenwood if they could steal them, (and it would be robbery!) so back at 6.

But if it happened:
                Assume some reorg within the WCHA to cut costs like crazy. Have to think it would persevere somehow. CHA has always operated on a shoestring budget I think. They too would persevere.

I hate it because of what it would do to CHA short term, but objectively would it be best for women’s hockey? Maybe, not sure. Maybe Niagara will return woho one day, and another western NY or PA team would appear. Interesting off season topic.
                I would think there would be a re-alignment of the other CHA teams into eastern conferences; maybe the two conferences and four teams turning into three realigned conferences. Geographically, if not 'historically', it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  No one has answered my question about how does the wwcha survive with the men's side gone.
                  The CHA has survived w/o a men's league, having a challenge as large or greater in terms of geography. Do you think that the CHA schools have greater potential for a league than the WCHA schools do? Plus, I'm not convinced that the recent men's WCHA, with the likes of the Alaska schools until this year, Alabama Huntsville, and Michigan Tech, was that much of a financial boost to the women's WCHA.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

I would think there would be a re-alignment of the other CHA teams into eastern conferences; maybe the two conferences and four teams turning into three realigned conferences. Geographically, if not 'historically', it makes sense.
                    Oh I didn’t even think of this. Yes it makes a lot of sense. I assume folks are sentimental about league memberships, but realignments are def a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      The CHA has survived w/o a men's league, having a challenge as large or greater in terms of geography. Do you think that the CHA schools have greater potential for a league than the WCHA schools do? Plus, I'm not convinced that the recent men's WCHA, with the likes of the Alaska schools until this year, Alabama Huntsville, and Michigan Tech, was that much of a financial boost to the women's WCHA.
                      I have no inside info, but I was thinking along the same lines. Hasn't the "alliance" between the Men's & Women's WCHA been mostly about splitting administrative expenses & running the website? What's to stop the Men's CCHA & Women's WCHA from continuing that partnership?

None of the three schools that are gone had Women's D-1 teams. Other than the re-branding on the Men's side, what's different for the Women's Hockey schools?

Comment

Illinois is on record that they do not need to add a women’s sport to add men’s ice hockey. After conducting an analysis, they can add hockey and still be in Title IX compliance of offering proportionate opportunities for their student population.

They may add a sport for women in the future. They were looking at hockey, lacrosse, and I think one other. Unless some other school is considering women’s hockey, the big ten will remain at four teams for the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                          Illinois is on record that they do not need to add a women’s sport to add men’s ice hockey. After conducting an analysis, they can add hockey and still be in Title IX compliance of offering proportionate opportunities for their student population.

They may add a sport for women in the future. They were looking at hockey, lacrosse, and I think one other. Unless some other school is considering women’s hockey, the big ten will remain at four teams for the near future.
                          I was under the impression that adding a women's sport was mandatory when a men's sport is added?

Comment

I was under the impression that adding a women's sport was mandatory when a men's sport is added?
                            There are three or four (?) ways a school can comply with Title IX. Once a school is 'in compliance', maybe the easiest way to stay compliant when adding (or subtracting) a sport from one side is to add (or subtract) one from the other, particularly if the two have more-or-less the same (or proportional to the overall school population) number of participating athletes. But it isn't necessarily mandatory.

Comment

Think scholarships and not sports. Football provides soooo many opportunities for male athletes so adding a single woman’s sport to balance it wouldn’t be equitable. I’m sure it’s more complex than that. Typically schools are already balanced so sports need to be added on both sides. It doesn’t usually get that detailed so most people don’t think about it.

Comment

IMO it will be a decade before this is ever a consideration. I agree with other comments regarding the financial setbacks associated with C-19, with the end result being a delay in additional B10 women's teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X