Predicting who gets in the 2021 NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predicting who gets in the 2021 NCAA Tournament

This is really tough especially with all the upsets this last week.
    I thought the ECAC would get two based on Clarkson's reputation but losing to St. Lawerence puts a cloud on that.
    The WCHA should get 4 as the 4 top teams have beat up on each other.
    The only way the CHA gets two is if Penn State stumbles in the CHA playoffs.
    Which leaves the Hockey east. I am thinking they get 2 maybe one with BC already out.
    Will be interesting to see how things play out this weekend.

Originally posted by zambonidriver View Post
    Which leaves the Hockey east. I am thinking they get 2 maybe one with BC already out.
    Hockey East is doing their own conference version of an RPI like calculation, but have not updated it since BC lost, and Providence won; I'd be interested in seeing how close the two are now in that ranking with those results.. Providence beat BC two out of three in the regular season; if they win their semi-final, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them get picked over BC for the NCAAs

-----------

Adding: As I think about it, am I starting to make a decent argument for HE getting three teams in? Providence and BC are close to 'equal'; how do you pick one over the other? Similar to 'the four WCHA teams are not all that well differentiated; how do you leave one out?' I guess naming nine teams would be easy; naming eight is harder. :-o
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-02-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Hockey East is doing their own conference version of an RPI like calculation, but have not updated it since BC lost, and Providence won; I'd be interested in seeing how close the two are now in that ranking with those results.. Providence beat BC two out of three in the regular season; if they win their semi-final, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them get picked over BC for the NCAAs

-----------

Adding: As I think about it, am I starting to make a decent argument for HE getting three teams in? Providence and BC are close to 'equal'; how do you pick one over the other? Similar to 'the four WCHA teams are not all that well differentiated; how do you leave one out?' I guess naming nine teams would be easy; naming eight is harder. :-o
      Hockey East will get only 2 max, maybe 1. IF WCHA gets 4 which is reasonable, CHA gets 1, ECAC gets 1, HE gets 1. That leaves 1 assuming no leaders lose in their conference playoffs. It will come down to Clarkson vs BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

Hockey East will get only 2 max, maybe 1. IF WCHA gets 4 which is reasonable, CHA gets 1, ECAC gets 1, HE gets 1. That leaves 1 assuming no leaders lose in their conference playoffs. It will come down to Clarkson vs BC.
        Clarkson is 8-9-1, including two wins over LIU.

Comment

Looking at it top down, we have Northeastern and Wisconsin that are one and two in some sort of order. I'd put Ohio State a notch down. I think that they've proven than they are steadier than the rest, but they wind up on the wrong end of the final score more often than the top two. Penn State is the team that I'd put into the hard pile, in that they are better than most recent CHA teams, but because they didn't play out of conference and the top of the CHA hasn't ranked that high of late, I'm not sure where the Nittany Lions best align.

After that, we get this soup of teams that might be better or worse than teams ranked next to each other, but it probably changes every other day. Maybe Colgate is a bit better, but they seem to be more a product of parity than not. Clarkson, UMD, BC, Minnesota, Providence, St. Lawrence -- maybe you can throw RMU and Mercyhurst in the mix, I don't know. It looks like you could skate them out there wearing the uniforms of one of the others and not be able to tell the difference. On a good day, they can ruin the season of one of those teams I listed above. On a bad day, they can lose to UConn. The Huskies have proven they can be a dangerous postseason team, but you can't let them dominate you and leave us believing that the NCAAs require your presence.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

This is really tough especially with all the upsets this last week.
            I thought the ECAC would get two based on Clarkson's reputation but losing to St. Lawerence puts a cloud on that.
            The WCHA should get 4 as the 4 top teams have beat up on each other.
            The only way the CHA gets two is if Penn State stumbles in the CHA playoffs.
            Prediction:

Northeastern
            Wisco
            UMD
            Minnesota
            Penn State
            Providence
            Colgate
            CHA (Should PSU lose) or Clarkson or BC

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

Prediction:

Northeastern
              Wisco
              UMD
              Minnesota
              Penn State
              Providence
              Colgate
              You left out Ohio State.

Like I said, naming nine is easier than naming eight.

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

Prediction:

Northeastern
                Wisco
                UMD
                Minnesota
                Penn State
                Providence
                Colgate
                I think NE, BC, Penn St, Colgate, WI and OSU will be in. Should Penn St and, say, Colgate not win their conference tournaments, then I think the WCHA gets only 2 teams. Max the WCHA will get is 3 and the third should be MN who played a much tougher schedule than UMD. As a WCHA fan I hope I am wrong, but I just don’t see the committee giving one conference 4 teams.
                Last edited by Offsides Guy; 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Add Quinnipac to the mix

Comment

Add Quinnipac to the mix
                    Quinnipiac is 4-5 against the other ECAC teams, and 6-0 against LIU and Sacred Heart.
                    Last edited by robertearle; 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I haven't followed the teams in the conferences outside of the WCHA this season to have an informed opinion. I'd say Ohio State SHOULD be in but if they win their first round playoff game against Duluth then I'd say they're locked in for sure.

Comment

Quinnipiac is 4-5 against the other ECAC teams, and 6-0 against LIU and Sacred Heart.
                        But could see the committee taking Q instead of UMD if they didn’t want 4 teams from 1 conference in.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

But could see the committee taking Q instead of UMD if they didn’t want 4 teams from 1 conference in.
                          Then take three Hockey East teams. Unless there is an upset in their tournament, ECAC simply does not deserve two team in this year.

Comment

Clarkson is 8-9-1, including two wins over LIU.
                            BC has 4 wins over Merrimack and Holy Cross and bad losses to UConn and BU. Clarkson played Colgate 10 times. The record is not indicative.

Comment

Then take three Hockey East teams. Unless there is an upset in their tournament, ECAC simply does not deserve two team in this year.
                              Other than Northeastern the HE is very weak this year. They deserve 1 max but I can see them getting 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X