No announcement yet.

Mercyhurst Lakers 20-21!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad to hear that. I believe it’s the Erie Sports Commission, but Mercyhurst would have wanted to put on a good event so disappointing none the less. Have to think some of it is COVID related, more restrictions etc. will you go to penn state next year, or too early to say? I’m curious to see how that one goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      Sad to hear that. I believe it’s the Erie Sports Commission, but Mercyhurst would have wanted to put on a good event so disappointing none the less. Have to think some of it is COVID related, more restrictions etc. will you go to penn state next year, or too early to say? I’m curious to see how that one goes.
      If my team is in I will definitely be there. I assumed it was not Mercyhurst. Given the women’s BBall fiasco- I fully blame the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
        I don’t know who is responsible- Mercyhurst or Ncaa or both- but they did a really crappy job hosting. I’ve been at better squirt tournaments that had more exposure and activity and hoopla. No local participation, no excitement. Very disappointing.
        I started a new thread on this subject, and invite you to expand on your thoughts there.

My kick-off post focused on Covid safety, and I do believe the hosts kept us safe. I also concluded that the other choice on the ballot was likely no tournament at all. But contrary opinions are more than welcome, of course.

Comment

Thanks PGB for starting a new thread. I will check it out.

Right - I hope you have reason to go to another tourney soon and have a better
          experiemce! Especially with the day in between games, need city to buy in
          and be part of it

Comment

From what I have read and interviews I’ve listened to.... Mercyhurst, Erie and the overall people including the NCAA did a great job with so many logistical issues in place with Covid.

Seriously, someone is going to ridicule this ?
            Daily testing, crazy bus schedules, cleaning in between games etc etc. And you’re concerned about hoopla and exposure with what’s going on?

These girls had an opportunity to play for a NCAA D1 championship, and were provided that opportunity in a safe environment due to the hard work of many individuals. Lots of work put into this.

Last edited by slapshot willy; 03-21-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Slap shot thanks for sharing that. I
              missed your commentary here this year. :-)

Comment

Congrats to Jenna Silvonen, sophomore goalie at Mercyhurst, who will represent Finland in the World Championships. Silvonen was on the 2019 worlds team as well, but I believe Raty played all the games. No Raty this year (rehabbing a knee injury and Covid travel complications) so it’ll be a new look Finland in net. Other goalies for Finland are 31 year old Meeri Raisenan and 24 year old Anni Keisala.

Comment

Congrats and good luck to Alexa Vasko who was named to Canada’s camp roster for Worlds tryouts. Vasko is a center, Hurst’s captain, and had 14 points in 18 games her senior season. She had a goal and an assist in Hurst’s playoff game this year.

Syracuse alum Allie Monroe was also named to the camp roster. She has been playing in Europe the past two seasons.

The isolation these players go through must be so intense. 2 week quarantine when you get to Canada. So I imagine no ice time, and just creatively working out at home. When they fly to camp, they have potential to be exposed, so more isolation once getting to camp? Maybe? I have my fingers crossed for this tournament.

Comment

Lakers sent out an alumni report yesterday, and shared that seniors Alexa Vasko and KK Theissen will return for a 5th year.

Vasko is a top line center and Theissen is a top 4 D, plays a stay at home style. Happy to watch them both again next year!

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...ercyhurst.aspx

Sad to read that Kelley Steadman is moving on from Mercyhurst coaching staff, but wish her the absolute best. She will be missed!

Steadman is one of the most decorated Lakers of all time from a playing perspective, and helped coach the team to two CHA conference tourney championships and one reg season championship in her coaching time.

As a fan/alum I appreciated the way Steadman wore her pride in the program on her sleeve, she truly is a great ambassador for the team. She played an integral role in organizing the 20th year reunion for the program which meant so much to the players who came back for a weekend, and just as important made sure Coach Sisti’s 500th win was properly celebrated this past season.

Coach Sisti and and asst coach Beth Hanrahan will keep doing great things and I look forward
                      to seeing who joins them, and wish Steadman the best in her next adventure.

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...22-season.aspx

Hurst announced Kristy Pidgeon is coming to Mercyhurst for her last year of eligibility. Pidgeon played 4 years at Clarkson, and is a right winger. 15 points her junior year, 5 as a senior.

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...ing-class.aspx

Lakers add Sydney Pedersen to the 21/22 class. Pedersen is a defender from Milestone SK, near Regina Saskatchewan, formerly an RMU commit. This is not surprising as Lakers have a long history of absorbing players from programs that get cut.

Lakers have 4 players who graduated, and incoming class of 9 so I suspect some players are not returning. Can’t remember them having a roster of 29 before.
                          Last edited by Lindsay; 06-28-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...ing-class.aspx

Lakers add Sydney Pedersen to the 21/22 class. Pedersen is a defender from Milestone SK, near Regina Saskatchewan, formerly an RMU commit. This is not surprising as Lakers have a long history of absorbing players from programs that get cut.

Lakers have 4 players who graduated, and incoming class of 9 so I suspect some players are not returning. Can’t remember them having a roster of 29 before.
                            29 on the roster? Wowza...if (after three goalies, I assume) it's divided in the right proportions for forwards and defenders, that's five full lines and an extra player. They're going to have to build a longer bench at the Ice Center!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

29 on the roster? Wowza...if (after three goalies, I assume) it's divided in the right proportions for forwards and defenders, that's five full lines and an extra player. They're going to have to build a longer bench at the Ice Center!
                              https://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...physical-stats

according to elite prospects Northeastern had 29 this most recent season so I guess it’s not unheard of.

CHA teams ranged from 25 to 21 players in 2020/21. Of Hurst’s apparent 5 person increase (might be less in the end) 3 are due to extra Covid year’s and one is due to RMU losing their program. Surely we’ll see this lots of places.

Comment

https://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...physical-stats

according to elite prospects Northeastern had 29 this most recent season so I guess it’s not unheard of.

CHA teams ranged from 25 to 21 players in 2020/21. Of Hurst’s apparent 5 person increase (might be less in the end) 3 are due to extra Covid year’s and one is due to RMU losing their program. Surely we’ll see this lots of places.
                                What do you think about taking on a "bonus year" senior? I suppose in a case like Lexi Templeman from Robert Morris, it's good that she'll get to play her bonus year after all (at Ohio State), but for a team I don't really see a benefit. If a team picks up a real hotshot bonus year senior with great numbers, sure they'll probably have a good year, but then she's gone. What does that do for a program?

Comment

Working...
                                X