Mercyhurst Lakers 20-21!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst Lakers 20-21!!!!

The Lakers FINALLY broke into the season yesterday! Got a 2-1 win at RIT on the strength of 2 goals from Sara Boucher, a freshman from Burlington, ON, a PWHL player.

Very interesting first two lines listed: Pinto, Korzack and Boucher. Pinto, Korzack and Dobson were playing together end of last year and had a great finish to the season. Dobson was always a producer but Korzack and Pinto really started coming in at the end of the year and that line got the OT winner in the CHA championship.

Not surprised to see Dobson moved to Vasko’s line though (yesterday was Grace Nelles, Vasko and Dobson), as Vasko lost her liney Nuutinen to graduation. Grace Nelles is a freshman, with some U18 Team Canada experience.

Silvonen got the start in net. Hope to see her get some really opportunity this year to shine.

Not sure how much I will get to watch these guys this year but I’m cheering for them as always! I knew they were playing on the tenth but didn’t realize that was THURSDAY. Everything is so different this year. Stay well folks! Let’s get what we can out of this season as fans and players and parents.

Really, really happy to see Mercyhurst take the ice for 2020-21! I hope there's a solid second half of the season, so they get a good amount of game time.

Comment

I saw that they are celebrating senior day today. Smart move. Hope they get that W back at home today!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Really, really happy to see Mercyhurst take the ice for 2020-21! I hope there's a solid second half of the season, so they get a good amount of game time.
        Thanks for the good wishes Zed! We will see what transpires.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          I saw that they are celebrating senior day today. Smart move.
          This perfectly encapsulates the uncertainty of competition during a pandemic. Congrats to the seniors -- who potentially will be seniors again next year.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It bodes well for the CHA, that there is so much new frosh talent entering the league. Last year's CHA sr class collectively had a lot of talent. Boucher can be added to the conversation.

Comment

Lakers defeated RIT 5-1 yesterday. RIT has 11 skaters. I hope Brown can recruit like crazy in the off season.

3 point night for junior Liliane Perrault of Mercyhurst.

Great job getting the win on senior night and it was a monumental one, the 500th win of the program. Congrats to Coach Sisti and all associated with the program. As a former player of the program, I know first hand how special the program is, and Sisti’s leadership is a huge part of that. Very happy for him, and happy for women’s hockey that a program like Mercyhurst’s exists and has persisted for 20+ years.

Comment

Lakers defeated RIT 5-1 yesterday. RIT has 11 skaters. I hope Brown can recruit like crazy in the off season.
                I'm not sure it's a recruiting/roster issue, as the online roster shows 19 skaters and 3 goalies. I was wondering if some players are quarantined for COVID symptoms/contacts still. I know RIT had to postpone the Syracuse game 2 weeks ago, and the games last week were postponed due to COVID protocols so I assumed that some players were still not cleared to return to play.

Congrats to Coach Sisti on the big milestone.
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post

I'm not sure it's a recruiting/roster issue, as the online roster shows 19 skaters and 3 goalies. I was wondering if some players are quarantined for COVID symptoms/contacts still. I know RIT had to postpone the Syracuse game 2 weeks ago, and the games last week were postponed due to COVID protocols so I assumed that some players were still not cleared to return to play.

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to see they actually have way more skaters than was listed.

Comment

Watching hurst vs Adrian. 2-0 Hurst after one and it's mostly been all Mercyhurst. Adrian starts the 2nd on the pp for a little over a minute. Biggest takeaway is that Mercyhurst is showing replays!!!! Very short replays like 2 seconds, not showing the whole play develop but this is amazing progress nonetheless. I am so grateful to the folks pushing for these little improvements over the years.

For a first game back after the break, plus the weird covid year aspect, just looking for a win and effort from the Hurst. First game I've watched all year. Thoughts after one period: Marmen is a real calming presence out there, thought she was the star of the first 5 minutes. I didn't see Weiss much last year, also a D, but she's fun to watch. A little more agressive style of play which can be fun/ nervewracking to watch. Vasko's forecheck is leading the way as always, and I think it was her that created the turnover that led to gaining the zone and an eventual pass to Dobson for first goal of the game. I like Dobson and Vasko together but we'll see what transpires over the course of the year. Sisti has always taken a while to settle into lines, lots of shuffling, but what this short season they won't have that luxury of slowly figuring out what works. #4 Grace Nelles stood out quite a bit, and Perreault netted yet another goal on the season. She seems to be really settling in as well.

Comment

Nice second period for the Lakers. Perreault drew a penalty off the rush, and was in the mix for the 3rd laker goal of the game. Lakers typically score by committee so if Perreault is coming on, that's great. Boucher is interesting, nice hands, big presence around the net. To her credit she’s also aggressive, not tentative at all. First star and game winning goal went to her.

3rd period by the Lakers was ugly. Maybe they were tired or bored but they ended up giving up 2 goals and this one ended close. In no way surprising, only because I think this is how first series back always go, no matter the teams. Goalies each took a period for the Lakers and Klassen in the 3rd had to work the hardest. She made a great save to preserve the shutout, I believe it was on the PK when Boucher was in the box. When things got back to even strength Adrian got one by her. Shortly thereafter Adrian got a great 2 on 1 opportunity, scored and it was 3-2. Lakers gutted out the win though, making shot blocks in the final ten seconds to get it done. A win is a win, and they need games under their belt so nice job overall by the Lakers.

Interesting to watch a DI vs D3 game. I give credit to Adrian - they are playing club teams, DI, and D3 teams this year. I guess they just want to play. They do a fun little thing where the players on the bench bang the boards with their sticks to start the period, hadn't seen it before and that was fun.

Was nice to watch a hockey game again!
                      Last edited by Lindsay; 01-02-2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Nice update-- games after the break are historically unpredictable.

Comment

1-0 Lakers after one, at Syracuse. Free stream at the Syracuse site for those interested. Ena Nystrom (transfer from RPI) got the start in net. She got her first collegiate win on Tuesday vs Robert Morris, and has made some big saves towards the end of the first.

Comment

Free stream at the Syracuse site for those interested.
                            Thanks for that!

Comment

2-0 Mercyhurst after two. Pinto is fearless, came up with the puck in the neutral zone after a broken play, came flying into the zone wide and then drove to the net past 2 Cuse players kind of chopping at her. Meanwhile a third Cuse player was barreling across the crease to try and stop her (I had flashbacks to Poulin murdering Decker in the crease in the 2018 gold medal game) but not quick enough: Pinto went top shelf and went into celly mode with no more contact.

Loved that goal but somehow the story of the period was Ena Nystrom. She and the pk unit got the Lakers through a loooong 5 on 3 and Nystrom made a huge point blank save shortly before Pinto’s goal that stretched the lead. Hoping the Lakers can get Nystrom a little more relief, the shots are heavily in Cuse’s favor, and they will come out hungry in the third.

Comment

Working...
                              X