Colgate 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TitleIXHockey View Post
    I think Clarkson would have benefited the most from a full season...
    Maybe -- you raised good points -- but it seemed like St. Lawrence was trending upward more so than Clarkson at the end of the season. Of course, seasons that are long enough include both ups and downs.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Maybe -- you raised good points -- but it seemed like St. Lawrence was trending upward more so than Clarkson at the end of the season. Of course, seasons that are long enough include both ups and downs.
      Yeah, like I said they'd be competing for the top four with a couple other teams. I definitely wouldn't pencil them in to a top 4 spot but I would give them even odds to get there.

SLU was really hurt early by not getting on campus until January. Their sophomore class made big steps. The ECAC more or less came down to who lost the least in graduation from last season (and who had the most to begin with). In so short a season maybe cohesiveness matters more than anything else and the more new faces, the harder it is to get.

19-20 losses to graduation
      Colgate: Caroline Ross, D with 2 points in 19-20 and Auby the starting goaltender, whom Osborne filled in for nicely
      SLU: #1, 7, 8, 11, 13, 15, 20, 21 scorers but brought back a ton of good freshmen who made solid to huge leaps
      Clarkson: #3, 4, 5, 9, 12, 18 scorers but top 2 defenders and top C, but brought back Giguère and got Lonergan back from injury
      Quinnipiac: #2, 5, 9, 18 and starting goaltender - probably had the least to start with

Comment

• Colgate UMD was the most competitive of the four games. Colgate had a nice year.

Comment

• They sure did, a great year and with the core coming back and the addition of what looks like another great class we should be right there for another legitimate shot at a repeat come October.

Comment

• Who was the top line for Colgate - Serdachny, Kaltounkova, Neubauerova? I have some questions about how Fargo rolls the lines relative to other teams (seeming playing top forwards a couple minutes less than other teams' top forwards).

Comment

Who was the top line for Colgate - Serdachny, Kaltounkova, Neubauerova? I have some questions about how Fargo rolls the lines relative to other teams (seeming playing top forwards a couple minutes less than other teams' top forwards).
              It changed. By the end of the season he had: Serdachny, ODonohoe and Kaltounkova and Smigliani, Demers and Neubauerova. Those were the top 2 and they played alot in the last game. He ran 4 lines mostly during the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

It changed. By the end of the season he had: Serdachny, ODonohoe and Kaltounkova and Smigliani, Demers and Neubauerova. Those were the top 2 and they played alot in the last game. He ran 4 lines mostly during the season.
                Right the latter part I knew. Serdachny logged big minutes all season long (25:46 per InStat), but none of the other forwards were over 20 minutes. In the QF against UMD they played more during regulation (correcting their overall icetime for a 60 minute game anyway) than they tended to during the season.

Wondering if Greg Fargo leaning more heavily on the top line(s) than they did all season was a tactical error that made them look flat in OT and cost them the game.

Comment

Right the latter part I knew. Serdachny logged big minutes all season long (25:46 per InStat), but none of the other forwards were over 20 minutes. In the QF against UMD they played more during regulation (correcting their overall icetime for a 60 minute game anyway) than they tended to during the season.

Wondering if Greg Fargo leaning more heavily on the top line(s) than they did all season was a tactical error that made them look flat in OT and cost them the game.
                  Maybe Fargo had to do that because UMD played their top line quite a bit? I have no idea if that’s what UMD did but it wouldn’t shock me and would force Fargo to respond accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

Maybe Fargo had to do that because UMD played their top line quite a bit? I have no idea if that’s what UMD did but it wouldn’t shock me and would force Fargo to respond accordingly.
                    I mean yeah, that's the other side of it. And it's the NCAA tournament and there's a grain of "of course you play your best players more."

But Colgate was perfectly capable of shutting down Giguère (as much as she can be), Julia Gosling, and Anna Segedi without those top lines playing those extra minutes.

Comment

• I didn't think we looked flat in overtime, we simply had a turnover with our D pinching up on the attack which is the risk we take when we play our "we skate free" game. Not dissimilar from the end of the 2018 OT loss to Clarkson. We choose to live and die by the sword which generally has been very effective but there are risks. As we add more scoring talent it will be interesting to see if the D gets more traditional/conservative...I hope not. I really like our all in style.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer View Post
                        I didn't think we looked flat in overtime, we simply had a turnover with our D pinching up on the attack which is the risk we take when we play our "we skate free" game. Not dissimilar from the end of the 2018 OT loss to Clarkson. We choose to live and die by the sword which generally has been very effective but there are risks. As we add more scoring talent it will be interesting to see if the D gets more traditional/conservative...I hope not. I really like our all in style.
                        Guess we'll disagree on that.

I do miss the Olivia Zafuto days of bonkers and unpredictable Colgate hockey. Thought they were a really good match for Wisco in 2018 and they proved it, with me in attendance

Comment

• We came out of the gate like a lion. When we didn’t score after the first, I knew we were in trouble. Personally, I thought Osborne would crack first and give up a soft goal. Glad I was wrong.

After the first period, Colgate never looked the same and UMD came out with more fight in them. For the first time in a while, we didn’t win the faceoff x but even when we do, the goals don’t always follow. Had we just scored on that power play...

Cornell doesn’t restock, they reload. They are always fierce and we’ve had no answer for them. Clarkson does the same. They got by us a few times this season quite convincingly.

SLU & Qpac were great competitors. Their records weren’t indicative of their talent.

Would like to see UMD take the whole thing, but getting by N’estrn goalie will be almost impossible.
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            Clarkson is going to be scoring challenged next year unless the Freshmen class can provide A LOT or Giguere comes back or they get a high profile transfer (which I doubt). I do not see Lonergan coming back.
                            A top 4 in the ECAC would be a stretch IMHO.
                            I stand corrected, Lonergan it appears will be back at Clarkson next year.
                            https://www.pattykaz.com/news_article/show/1152710
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Danielle Serdachny, 1st Team All American as a Soph pretty damn impressive. As Coach Fargo said, she is the engine that drives the team with her wheels and skating ability. Great DNA from dad.

Comment

• Just noticed on the transfer portal thread that Dara Greig a Soph forward from Wisconsin and D Serdachny's high school was headed to Gate just not sure if this coming year or later? Should add great depth to offesnse.

Comment

Working...
                                X