NWHL To Play Entire 2020-21 Season In Two Week Bubble In Lake Placid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWHL To Play Entire 2020-21 Season In Two Week Bubble In Lake Placid

The NWHL will have a two week season in late January through early February at Herb Brooks arena with all players in a bubble.

The short season will be a round robin where each team plays the other five once. Then a play-in round, semifinals and final game for the Isobel Cup.

This is pending final approval by the NWHL, ORDA and the state of New York.

Source: https://www.pressrepublican.com/spor...89e582733.html

This is exciting! NW to be broadcast in tv for three games.
    https://www.nwhl.zone/news/nwhl-isob...-live-on-nbcsn

Comment

This is going to be fun to watch! Women's hockey on national TV? Inconceivable!! Maybe an intro for the Natty? On TV? Next season? One can only hope.

Comment

Just watched the Six vs Whitecaps. 4-3 Six win. Broadcast was free and excellent, on Twitch, which a person can watch on their tv assuming you have a smart tv. Grant- Mentis was a ton of fun to watch, I think she played at Merrimack and I had never seen her before. Lindsay Eastwood, now of the Toronto Six was on for at least 3 Toronto goals. Enjoyed watching her as well. I am hoping the league doesn’t get ravaged by COVID and can make it to the end of their season next week (semi and final broadcast on tv in the US). This is a ton of fun to watch, feels a bit like World Junior tournament vibe. Sharing in case anyone else wants to get on board watching. Anyone else already watching?

Comment

Great hockey! Kudos to the league for doing what it takes and finding a way to have a season. Unfortunate for the Riveters, and the league, that Covid still managed to creep in and bring an early end to their season. NBCSN also deserves recognition for carrying the semis and championship for all to see....awesome!

Comment

Looks like the NWHL is imploding. The Whale bailed out of the bubble for non Covid reasons reportedly. The reports are that they did in protest for the league’s treatment of Erica Nardini and Barstool Sports who was a major supporter of the league. Barstool is now threatening to set up a well funded competing league. Hopefully that happens and they get all the good players from both the NWhl and pwhpa. The talent level in the NWHL is not good enough.

Comment

Anyone who thinks Nardini would be a good person to be involved in the NWHL does not understand a core part of the NWHL’s mission. From the beginning, this league has set out to attract very young female fans to the sport as a key demographic. Barstool Sports is absolutely not a company you want young female fans supporting. While I actually enjoy much of BS’s content, it is absolutely misogynistic and geared toward an adolescent male mentality (see Rough & Rowdy Ring Girls as just one example). If the Whale bailed for the reason you say, I would kick them out of the league. You can’t compromise your organizations core values just because someone knocks on the door with a bunch of money. At least, that’s what I try to teach my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                Anyone who thinks Nardini would be a good person to be involved in the NWHL does not understand a core part of the NWHL’s mission. From the beginning, this league has set out to attract very young female fans to the sport as a key demographic. Barstool Sports is absolutely not a company you want young female fans supporting. While I actually enjoy much of BS’s content, it is absolutely misogynistic and geared toward an adolescent male mentality (see Rough & Rowdy Ring Girls as just one example). If the Whale bailed for the reason you say, I would kick them out of the league. You can’t compromise your organizations core values just because someone knocks on the door with a bunch of money. At least, that’s what I try to teach my daughter.
                I understand that perspective. It certainly is uncensored and not for young girls to listen to in my opinion. Nevertheless, young girls have no money and cannot support a professional women's hockey league. Why wouldn't Nardini be a good person to be involved? She was considering buying a team. She is the CEO of a huge company. She loves hockey and gives much needed publicity to players on her podcast and to the league in general. She runs a business. She is a great role model for these young girls as much as any D3 player running out the string in the NWHL. Its a bunch of PC bull**** that caused this. They came after Nardini for no reason at all other than they don't like Barstool. Mostly based on what they perceived Barstool to be based on 10 year old clips. They poked the bear and the bear is biting back. Will be very interesting to see what happens. You get Nardini and Dave Portnoy riled up and they take action.

Comment

Living up to one’s stated values isn’t always easy. Barstool Sports is the antithesis of what the NWHL stands for. The league will find $ other places. They’ve done better this year than last and will keep at it.

Comment

Politics and sports really don't mix - same reason most restaurants are apolitical. Most people don't want food with a side of politics. Another year of post-grad hockey down the drain. Don't kid yourself. The NHL just took on a billion dollar line of credit. The NHL is in no position to fund Women's Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                      Looks like the NWHL is imploding. The Whale bailed out of the bubble for non Covid reasons reportedly. The reports are that they did in protest for the league’s treatment of Erica Nardini and Barstool Sports who was a major supporter of the league. Barstool is now threatening to set up a well funded competing league. Hopefully that happens and they get all the good players from both the NWhl and pwhpa. The talent level in the NWHL is not good enough.
                      There is a much wider favorable sentiment around Nardini than what is being communicated. Good for the Whale for standing up for what they believe in. This cancel culture is out of hand, and has no place in hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

There is a much wider favorable sentiment around Nardini than what is being communicated. Good for the Whale for standing up for what they believe in. This cancel culture is out of hand, and has no place in hockey.
                        Sorry but I’m not letting this one go. How is it “cancel culture” to publicly state you don’t want to align your organization with someone who leads a company that does not match your organization’s values? Just two days ago barstool sports re-tweeted a rough and rowdy tweet that included an interview with a woman in a bikini who talked about how her breasts needed support for her to be able to compete in the ring girl competition in which women prance around a boxing ring or male commentators talk about their bodies. Given that social media is the way most younger people interact with companies these days, why in god’s name would the NWHL want the CEO of barstool sports to own a team in their league? Do you seriously believe barstool’s social media content is respectful and empowering of women which is a big part of what the NWHL’s message is all about?

it is not political correctness to stand by your values!
                        Last edited by Offsides Guy; 02-03-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

And COVID kills the NWHL season. It's all over.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            And COVID kills the NWHL season. It's all over.
                            It's really a shame what happened...as soon as the bubble was announced I was really excited for the NWHL and the prospect of women's hockey being in the national spotlight at a historic venue.

I've been a huge fan of the women's game since I went to my first Division III game back in 2001. Since then, I've followed the women's game as closely as I've followed the men's game at the collegiate and Olympic level. I had the incredible opportunity to be the national beat writer for Division III for six or seven years with my first "professional" writing gig. I'll always be thankful to Chris Lerch and USCHO for giving me that opportunity.

There was a lot of great build up and pre-promotion and the opening weekend was terrific with great hockey and close games. Then Sunday night or Monday happened and everything started to go to crap with the Barstool stuff. 24-30 hours later the Rivs bow out due to positive COVID tests and then 48 hours later, the Whale don't show up to a scheduled game and the other team is on the ice for warmups...The Whale don't come out with a public statement about why until 48 hours after missing that game and only after the league shuts everything down due to COVID tests.

It was a really tough week, especially after all that positive momentum and so many new eyeballs on it. They were 24 hours from being on national TV for the first time in pro women's hockey history in the US.

"The Bubble" protocols were either not strictly enforced or only there as guidance and a hope for the best scenario. Having the same athletic trainers work with different teams is not a bubble. That's exposing all the participants on both teams to the virus. I know for a fact that athletes were out and about around town as well. There were pictures on social media to prove it (maybe they've been taken down since). Once again, that's not a bubble.

It's really too bad as this had the chance to be a crowning weekend in women's hockey history for a lot of reasons. I really hope the PWHPA and Barstool or another major backer team up to bring exposure to the game. One thing I think that got lost in all of this is that MOST of the top women's hockey players in North America and the World do not play in this league. This is NOT discounting anyone that is playing in the NWHL. It's still a talented league and they put on some amazing displays of hockey during the games that happened, but lets not forget that Marie-Philip Poulin, Hilary Knight, Kendall Coyne-Schofield, Sarah Nurse, etc. were not out there. Hopefully the future provides an avenue where the top women's hockey players can compete in a league and get compensated at an appropriate and livable level like what has happened in the WNBA and NWSL.

I wish the NWHL good fortune in the future, especially all the players that committed to playing and help grow the game and compete. However, I think a serious look into what went right, wrong, etc. over the last two weeks is in order to help continue legitimize the league and avoid the embarrassment of having to cancel your playoffs and national TV debut.
                            Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-05-2021, 09:11 AM.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                            X