Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timothy A
    replied
    Please tell me when I watch the games on BTN this weekend that there will be more than 1 camera, they will be able to zoom in and out, the resolution quality of picture will be better than a camcorder from 1991 and they are not mounted practically in the basement of the building. Now don't lie to me, the truth will be known tomorrow. I just want to know how excited I should be to watch the games.

Leave a comment:

• Steamboat
    replied
    That's what I was looking for. I was wondering about the Gopher top line after seeing both Zumwinkel and Heise -1 in the plus/minus. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
    Come on Gopher fans! Let's get active here. Who watched the game? What can you tell us? I can only take so much from a box score. Share some thoughts and observations please!
    I watched both games, and felt that I got my FloHockey money's worth on each. The announcer today was obviously very partisan, but I thought good overall, and mostly fair. The camera work was noticeably improved today compared to the opener, when he/she had some difficulty at times covering the action and following the puck, which at times left the viewer in the dark about what was going on. In today's rematch this was rarely an issue, and overall I would give today's broadcast very high marks for an away game this early in the season.

And IMO the Gophers' play followed the same pattern. Much improved overall compared to Friday, when they were mostly outplayed until the last half of the third period. A truly impressive comeback in the final stanza, when they kept battling and never gave up in the second half after spotting the Dogs a two goal lead.

In today's win I thought the Gophers, overall throughout the whole game, were more consistently good and perhaps deserved more on the offensive end. In particular the breakouts out of their own end were much improved over both their opening series against Ohio State and their first game against the Bulldogs. The Gophs were more effective in getting it out of their own end, using a variety of tactics, instead of routinely just shooting it up the boards or off the glass...actually making a play to open teammates instead of blindly clearing and hoping for the best. Maybe some of this improvement was allowed by their opponent, as compared to the stronger forecheck and pressure that we saw from Ohio State, and will likely see from Wisconsin?

One other brief comment: I thought the freshmen class acquitted themselves very well today, and showed that they are rapidly adjusting to the pace of D1 college hockey. Based on what I saw today, I believe this will continue as they gain experience.

One last question: Should the top line featuring Heise and Zumwinkle be broken up? Obviously both are extremely talented, and are great at carrying the puck, but could each be more effective with linemates who are adept at passing and setting them up for better opportunities?

Leave a comment:

• Steamboat
    replied
    Come on Gopher fans! Let's get active here. Who watched the game? What can you tell us? I can only take so much from a box score. Share some thoughts and observations please!

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Road sweep with a just completed 2-1 win over UMD.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Not much to say other than Minnesota has a lot of work to do in improving how they get the puck out of their own end.
    Personally, I think you could just go with the bolded part and it would be equally true.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Anyone know what the injury is for Amy Potomak?
    No, other than Frost mentioned that she had surgery a month (two months? I don't remember exactly) previous. He didn't give a timetable for her return, but neither did he say that she would miss the season.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Didn't get to see the first period today, and as it turns out that was all the scoring. 2-1 win for Ohio State. Not much to say other than Minnesota has a lot of work to do in improving how they get the puck out of their own end.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    Bench did fine but nothing more; Zum was a much bigger factor. OSU took lots of shots from far out that were easy saves which drove up the shot numbers.
    Totally disagree but we'll leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• Offsides Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by D2D View Post
    “but the real star of the game was Lauren Bench who posted a 36 save shutout in her Gopher debut.”
    Bench did fine but nothing more; Zum was a much bigger factor. OSU took lots of shots from far out that were easy saves which drove up the shot numbers.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Zoom Boom was really good. As mentioned, Lauren Bench was very stout in net. Taylor Heise could have had two or three goals as well. Lot's of room for improvement, however, from the Gophers. Ohio State, for much of the game, looked like they were more prepared to start the season. Anyone know what the injury is for Amy Potomak?

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Gophers picked up the pace in the second, but some of them look a step slow, maybe not in game shape at this point. Score is 2-0 after two, thanks in large part to the play of Lauren Bench, who has been outstanding in goal.
    Gophers win 4-0 with an empty netter at the end. Not your typical 4-0 game by a long shot as the Buckeyes doubled up Minnesota on the shot clock, 36-18. Grace Zumwinkle with her first two goals of the season, but the real star of the game was Lauren Bench who posted a 36 save shutout in her Gopher debut.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Gophers look like they haven't practiced much...

Lauren Bench looks solid in net...
    Gophers picked up the pace in the second, but some of them look a step slow, maybe not in game shape at this point. Score is 2-0 after two, thanks in large part to the play of Lauren Bench, who has been outstanding in goal.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Gophers look like they haven't practiced much...

Lauren Bench looks solid in net...
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-21-2020, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ManBehindTheCurtain
    started a topic Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

1-0 after one period, Zumwinkle with the goal.

Line chart for the Gophers: https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/st...557121/photo/1

Gophers get an early goal, Buckeyes had clear possession and territory advantage for most of the rest of the period.
    Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 11-21-2020, 03:47 PM.
Working...
X