No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim is correct...It is an attempt to try and hold back a bit on some harsh criticism.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• The good news: we have more time to sort out our goaltendings situation.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        The good news: we have more time to sort out our goaltendings situation.
        UMD, BC AND Providence ahead of you guys?!?! What a complete joke. As much as I sincerely dislike the rodents, I have much respect for the program and to get screwed over this badly is bad for the wwcha. All anyone wants is a fair trial and this one was as unfair as anyone can imagine. If UM, BC, Prov and UMD play a round robin tourney, MN wins.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• I think it was only because they didn't want four WCHA teams to dominate the tournament. That's what gypped the Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

UMD, BC AND Providence ahead of you guys?!?! What a complete joke. As much as I sincerely dislike the rodents, I have much respect for the program and to get screwed over this badly is bad for the wwcha. All anyone wants is a fair trial and this one was as unfair as anyone can imagine. If UM, BC, Prov and UMD play a round robin tourney, MN wins.
            It's funny that you, as a Badger, fan are more worked up about this. Minnesota has no one to blame but themselves for missing out.

I don't know about other Gopher fans but I'm sick and tired of watching them f-up over and over again so thanks committee for putting them out of their misery. Too much talent, that when it was needed, didn't show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

It's funny that you, as a Badger, fan are more worked up about this. Minnesota has no one to blame but themselves for missing out.

I don't know about other Gopher fans but I'm sick and tired of watching them f-up over and over again so thanks committee for putting them out of their misery. Too much talent, that when it was needed, didn't show up.
              Your players earned another game, or two. They deserve the chance to play them.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Your players earned another game, or two. They deserve the chance to play them.
                I see in another thread you did a comparison with UMD from the analytical perspective. That's ok but I guess it comes down to the fact that they laid a egg big time twice by getting pounded in Madison and then got swept by OSU on their home ice. That 0-4 deal, too me, doesn't pass the eye test.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I see in another thread you did a comparison with UMD from the analytical perspective. That's ok but I guess it comes down to the fact that they laid a egg big time twice by getting pounded in Madison and then got swept by OSU on their home ice. That 0-4 deal, too me, doesn't pass the eye test.
                  Duluth lost an overtime game to Bemidji, and one to Wisconsin. Minnesota tied Wisconsin. That means Duluth lost 0.5 + 0.5 for those, while the tie in five games for Minnesota against Wisconsin means Minnesota lost only 0.9 vs Wisconsin. All the other 'common teams' were 1.0 for both. That gives Minnesota the 'common opponents' win by 0.1. That along with a better RPI, and two head-to-head wins.

(The week before the Wisconsin series, Duluth played Mankato. I was paying attention because a loss in either and Wisconsin would have clinched the conference before even heading to Duluth. In both games, Mankato had a goal lead well into the third period. In the second game, Duluth avoided overtime with a goal at 19:57 of the third period. A loss to Bemidji and two narrow escapes vs Mankato. Maybe your eyes should have seen those. The players on Minn get screwed, and they didn't deserve it.)
                  Last edited by robertearle; 03-07-2021, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Duluth lost an overtime game to Bemidji, and one to Wisconsin. Minnesota tied Wisconsin. That means Duluth lost 0.5 + 0.5 for those, while the tie in five games for Minnesota against Wisconsin means Minnesota lost only 0.9 vs Wisconsin. All the other 'common teams' were 1.0 for both. That gives Minnesota the 'common opponents' win by 0.1. That along with a better RPI, and two head-to-head wins.

(The week before the Wisconsin series, Duluth played Mankato. I was paying attention because a loss in either and Wisconsin would have clinched the conference before even heading to Duluth. In both games, Mankato had a goal lead well into the third period. In the second game, Duluth avoided overtime with a goal at 19:57 of the third period. A loss to Bemidji and two narrow escapes vs Mankato. Maybe your eyes should have seen those. The players on Minn get screwed, and they didn't deserve it.)
                    There is a lot of handwringing in certain quarters about the Gophers missing out on, what? One more game? I told my wife yesterday that the Gophers needed to beat Wisconsin to assure themselves a place in the NCAA playoffs. Do that and you deserve to be in, and you will be in. All the statistics that can be sifted through and debated doesn't negate the simple fact: they had their own destiny in their hands, and fumbled. A tough year to get in a groove. I feel for our student athletes and the difficult year they experienced. Other teams faced the same conditions. Let's now look for a good next season with a semblance of normality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

There is a lot of handwringing in certain quarters about the Gophers missing out on, what? One more game? I told my wife yesterday that the Gophers needed to beat Wisconsin to assure themselves a place in the NCAA playoffs. Do that and you deserve to be in, and you will be in. All the statistics that can be sifted through and debated doesn't negate the simple fact: they had their own destiny in their hands, and fumbled. A tough year to get in a groove. I feel for our student athletes and the difficult year they experienced. Other teams faced the same conditions. Let's now look for a good next season with a semblance of normality.
                      Would winning on Saturday have gotten them in? At this point, I am not confident it would have. They already had a better RPI than Duluth, and "swept" the Pairwise comparison vs Duluth, and that wasn't enough. Why would anyone assume a Saturday win would have gotten them in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

So what destiny did UMD fulfill by getting blown out of the arena by OSU on Saturday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                          So what destiny did UMD fulfill by getting blown out of the arena by OSU on Saturday?
                          The value in a 3rd place game could have been IMMENSE between UMD & UM. It would have been meaningful. UMD would have thought they were playing for their ncaa lives and UM would have thought they were playing for a higher seed or maybe for their ncaa lives.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The value in a 3rd place game could have been IMMENSE between UMD & UM. It would have been meaningful. UMD would have thought they were playing for their ncaa lives and UM would have thought they were playing for a higher seed or maybe for their ncaa lives.
                            Or they would have thought that they'd hoped to be playing at 2 pm for a WCHA Championship and an NCAA auto bid, but now, they're playing at 10 am for third place in a tournament with four teams. That's why we no longer have third-place games.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm going to echo what I said earlier: who's to say that Minn beating Duluth in a 3rd place game would have been enough to get them in? They were already 2-0 head-to-head, what does 3-0 head-to-head prove?

Comment

My eyes did see both UMD vs Mankato games as well as the UMD vs Bemidji game you refer to. The blowout to OSU should have been their nail in the coffin. So maybe UMD and UM should have been left out and Penn State chosen instead? That probably would have been better.

I'm with Steamboat. Minnesota had their chance and didn't get it done. That was their season in a nutshell.

Comment

Working...
                                X