Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Naw, the Clarkson thing is ancient history. UW got revenge in the FF on their way to their latest title. I welcomed the rematch last year when the whole thing got canned. I think UW is a bit flawed in that their Fr aren't up to speed vs other good team's upperclassmen yet and the UW Fr play big minutes. Getting the last change is a big asset to have if they can get the one seed and if they can make it to the last game.
    Well I can tell you at least for the fans we still have a big Clarkson chip on our shoulder at Ohio State!
    From our perspective we had them beat in the FF when what probably would have been the winning goal was questionably disallowed! Add insult to injury our goaltender transfers to them.
    Glad Wisconsin got their revenge on Clarkson, still waiting for ours!

Comment

• Anyone know the status of players who have been out of the lineup like Ostertag, Skaja, and Cherkowski?
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• I've noticed that they were missing, Cherkowski initially because I "sponsor" her. She vanished end of January, hope she's healthy. Haven't heard anything about any of them.

Comment

• Seems like Skaja, for sure, has been an injury scratch and it may be concussion related for the collision she was involved in. Don't know about the issues that Ostertag has been having and have no clue what is up with Cherkowski.

This team, as a whole, has been hard to figure out all year long. Shouldn't be where they are with the "talent" that is on this squad. Unless we look to a Doug Woog quote for some splainin' "Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

• I have heard more than I will reveal here but can say that I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that Cherkowski is done for at least this season. No idea about Skaja or Ostertag.

I think the Gophers make the NCAA and will beat anyone but WI/OSU or Northeastern.

Comment

• Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
              heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that Cherkowski is done for at least this season.
              Reminded of...

Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend

At least this season? Sounds a bit ominous...
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-03-2021, 10:26 AM. Reason: You would have thought I was thinnered up with how I constructed that last part of the post...Sheesh.

Comment

• This season is similar to 2011-12 in that it seems that there is a lot of drama going on behind the scenes w/ injuries, turmoil, etc. Maybe not so similar, because the drama was pretty epic then (compared to a little-old pandemic), and UM was playing better hockey nine years ago.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• At a high level what was the 11-12 drama, if you don’t mind sharing?

Comment

• What I remember from the 11/12 season was Schoullis and West coming back as 5th year seniors from injuries and helping lead the Gophers to a National Championship. That despite Schoullis having the oft reported and infamous "upper body injury" early in the season. As for Emily West, Frost's quote, "I think her overall perspective has changed. She's really enjoying the game and appreciating everything it has to offer. When you're younger, you can take things for granted. But after her experience she's savoring every moment." Emily's response, "To come back and compete again puts a smile on my face every day. It makes me so happy, there are no words for it." And smile she did after Ludwig got a rare call correct in Duluth.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      At a high level what was the 11-12 drama, if you don’t mind sharing?
                      That was the season Muzzy joined the staff, but there was a delay due to visa issues, so she didn't arrive until a month into the season (and promptly stepped on the "M"!) One player's sister died suddenly. Another player was having a personal crisis and took a leave from hockey, and the team was concerned for her safety. A couple parents were diagnosed with cancer. There was a practice dust up between team leaders and morale was totally shot. Frost's dad suffered a stroke and was hospitalized on the eve of the conference tourney. By the time the FF rolled around, that was easy by comparison, because it was just hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                        What I remember from the 11/12 season was Schoullis and West coming back as 5th year seniors from injuries and helping lead the Gophers to a National Championship. That despite Schoullis having the oft reported and infamous "upper body injury" early in the season. As for Emily West, Frost's quote, "I think her overall perspective has changed. She's really enjoying the game and appreciating everything it has to offer. When you're younger, you can take things for granted. But after her experience she's savoring every moment." Emily's response, "To come back and compete again puts a smile on my face every day. It makes me so happy, there are no words for it." And smile she did after Ludwig got a rare call correct in Duluth.
                        Bluffrinkrat...Nice to see you post. Haven't seen you on here in awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          That was the season Muzzy joined the staff, but there was a delay due to visa issues, so she didn't arrive until a month into the season (and promptly stepped on the "M"!) One player's sister died suddenly. Another player was having a personal crisis and took a leave from hockey, and the team was concerned for her safety. A couple parents were diagnosed with cancer. There was a practice dust up between team leaders and morale was totally shot. Frost's dad suffered a stroke and was hospitalized on the eve of the conference tourney. By the time the FF rolled around, that was easy by comparison, because it was just hockey.
                          Practice dust up? Dang, that sounds like something the current squad could use.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Practice dust up? Dang, that sounds like something the current squad could use.
                            The immediate aftermath wasn't pretty in terms of the product on the ice, so I don't think that they have time. Would need to make up very quickly. But, yeah, some passion would be nice. That's what I think that we lack most w/o Muzz.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Oh wow. That really is a lot. A reminder that there is life outside of hockey, and we don’t know what people have going on.

And lol at Muzzy stepping on the M! Justin Bieber did something similar I think in an NHL room. Come on folks!

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Bluffrinkrat...Nice to see you post. Haven't seen you on here in awhile.
                                Thanks! The 11/12 season has always been one of our favorites and the next season too, of course. It was our first trip to Bemidji to watch the games. We had a great time despite a certain goalie or as one reporter wrote on USCHO, "A critical component at the other end of the ice is Slovakian Olympic goaltender Zuzana Tomcikova, know as "Z" to her teammates. She saved 41 of 42 Minnesota shots to preserve the BSU upset." I remember we eased our sorrow at the 2-1 loss with beer and food at Brigid's Cross Irish Pub.
                                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Working...
                                X