Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

The record isn't super good but it's largely because of a super high SOS: https://***********/Salzano14/status...11652728049666

I get that the level of Good you expect out in the twin cities is high, though.
    The level of Goodness expected here is more than good. We were spoiled by years of Excellent. A #2 team, or a #4 team, or forbid a #8 ranked team is almost inconceivable. If there was a year to not see the gals in person, this might be it. Although I miss Ridder the road trips to Bemidji, Madison and Mankato. It's frustrating enough to watch the Flo and BIG10+ streams, golf is on my other screen this season. Interesting to see how this all plays out in March.
    Last edited by drewkal; 02-20-2021, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
      The WCHA definitely has a precedent for tournaments where only some of the teams qualified.
      Sorry but precedent doesn’t cut it when the Men’s WCHA is inviting a full slate of teams and playing 3-game quarterfinal series. It’s also interesting that at least a few people have suggested the reason for the limited tournament on the women’s side is at least one Big10 team was adamant about not wanting to possibly have to play three games in a row in the tournament. If that’s true, shame on them as well as the commissioner for allowing that to be the reason three teams are denied an invite. I certainly doubt money is a factor as the three teams not invited all are within four hours of Ridder and, in a single elimination tournament, would not likely rack up huge hotel and food costs. Lastly, those three teams should all have “money in the bank” from series being canceled earlier in the season.
      Last edited by Offsides Guy; 02-20-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

Sorry but precedent doesn’t cut it when the Men’s WCHA is inviting a full slate of teams and playing 3-game quarterfinal series. It’s also interesting that at least a few people have suggested the reason for the limited tournament on the women’s side is at least one Big10 team was adamant about not wanting to possibly have to play three games in a row in the tournament.
        This is the first I've heard of such an objection. But I'd imagine the objection had to do with a tired team having to play a more rested team.

Let's say you make it to the Championship Game, and you're on Game #3. If your opponent is only on Game #2, they have a significant advantage. As you probably recall, this was a real issue in the first few B1G Men's Hockey tournaments that were held.

If that’s true, shame on them as well as the commissioner for allowing that to be the reason three teams are denied an invite.
        Is this an actual issue with the teams that will be on the sidelines? In a normal year, I'm sure it would be. But I've not heard such chatter in this covid-marred year. Still, if there are such complaints, then I'd agree that a way should have been found to include them.

I certainly doubt money is a factor as the three teams not invited all are within four hours of Ridder and, in a single elimination tournament, would not likely rack up huge hotel and food costs. Lastly, those three teams should all have “money in the bank” from series being canceled earlier in the season.
        Or less debt due to the cancellations. Hard to believe that any program is going to finish with a budget surplus this year.

Comment

• For the record I'm almost positive pokechecker was perma-banned. Or maybe that was hokydad. Or both. haha
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Speaking of regulars who have not been here very much this season, during yesterday's game Dave had two e-mails to the Beaver radio broadcast read by the play by play announcer. On BeaverRadio.com but not on USCHO, that really is Crazy.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              Speaking of regulars who have not been here very much this season, during yesterday's game Dave had two e-mails to the Beaver radio broadcast read by the play by play announcer. On BeaverRadio.com but not on USCHO, that really is Crazy.
              The Beaver radio network is easy to get onto, and very professionally run. While Bemidji has not had a stellar year, they are always a fun team to follow. I laughed when the announcer related an email she received that said "Go Gophers, Go Beavers." I think the Beaver logo is my favorite of all the NCAA teams.

Comment

• Grace Zumwinkle's highlight reel goal yesterday, after a beautiful feed by Abbey Murphy that sent her in.

https://***********/i/status/1363246665759662087
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Grace Zumwinkle's highlight reel goal yesterday, after a beautiful feed by Abbey Murphy that sent her in.

https://***********/i/status/1363246665759662087
                  Nice...But that clip showed the lack of resistance that BSU displayed all weekend against Minnesota's offense. It's like BSU was already in the off-season.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Is this an actual issue with the teams that will be on the sidelines? In a normal year, I'm sure it would be. But I've not heard such chatter in this covid-marred year. Still, if there are such complaints, then I'd agree that a way should have been found to include them.
                    I would love to hear from a Mankato person on the matter. They played both the badgers and the gophers pretty tough during the regular season and could certainly pose a threat in one-game playoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Nice...But that clip showed the lack of resistance that BSU displayed all weekend against Minnesota's offense. It's like BSU was already in the off-season.
                      Can't argue too much with you here, FHF. But I loved the tape-to-tape pass to a streaking, open wing at center ice...something that we haven't seen enough of this season. When they're standing still waiting for a pass they make it easy for the other team to defend. That was certainly not the case on this play.

Even though the Beavers didn't put up much of a fight I do think the series was a good tune-up for the Gophers as they head into the postseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Can't argue too much with you here, FHF. But I loved the tape-to-tape pass to a streaking, open wing at center ice...something that we haven't seen enough of this season. When they're standing still waiting for a pass they make it easy for the other team to defend. That was certainly not the case on this play.

Even though the Beavers didn't put up much of a fight I do think the series was a good tune-up for the Gophers as they head into the postseason.
                        You're right. There have been times like this where you see what they are capable of. Just not enough of it.
                        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Not Gopher Women's Hockey, but this is very cool:

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...2-0e80cfb31691

Comment

• Does Minnesota deserve to make the national tourney? Probably not.
                            Are there eight teams better than the Gophers? Probably not. At least not if you're restricted to teams from this season, like the ones that are playing.

Maybe the ECAC teams, who have to be pretty sick of playing the other three, can trade Quinnipiac to the WCHA Final Faceoff for this season, and the Gophers can go play in the ECAC thing. If UM doesn't win it, fine, they probably don't need to go to the NCAAs. Although, it would be better to trade us with Clarkson, just to delay another Colgate/Clarkson game. And we all know that UW is always anxious for some fighting nurses.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

And we all know that UW is always anxious for some fighting nurses.
                              The story I tell about when COVID really first hit home - or would, if I had any actual contact with people - was on Monday 'that week' I went to pick up my NCAA quarterfinal ticket for Wisconsin vs Clarkson, and for a day or two I complained about the lousy seat I had been assigned. And by Thursday, the game had been cancelled, and my lousy seat assignment disappeared from the list of problems.

Comment

And we all know that UW is always anxious for some fighting nurses.
                                Naw, the Clarkson thing is ancient history. UW got revenge in the FF on their way to their latest title. I welcomed the rematch last year when the whole thing got canned. I think UW is a bit flawed in that their Fr aren't up to speed vs other good team's upperclassmen yet and the UW Fr play big minutes. Getting the last change is a big asset to have if they can get the one seed and if they can make it to the last game.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X