Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Enough of all that for an easy victory over a Gophers squad that was on its heels pretty much the whole game. They can play much better than what we saw today, and they better do that if they're going to avoid getting swept. Every player needs to step up, from goalie on out.
    The thing is...I don't know about them playing better. Maybe for short periods of time it has been seen but there just hasn't been enough consistency in their effort this year.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• I think that UM has had a number of games where they looked better on the scoreboard than they looked on the ice. For much of the first period, the reverse was true. After that, the scoreboard was pretty accurate.

In terms of getting better, the Gophers have some matchup problems. Wisconsin forwards were too fast coming around the corner for their D. I think the Badgers D have some issues of their own, but they didn't pay for their sins today.

UM didn't get many breaks. They hit three or four pipes. On UW's second goal, the puck had eyes on the rebound and found the open player. And that PP resulted from a penalty where the contact was very minimal compared to when Shirley crunched Murphy. Maybe it's inadvertent, but the defensive player is responsible for being under control, and she certainly wasn't. At the same time, Murphy's crosscheck was stupid, because the WCHA zebras do what they do, so you better control what you can.

I think they can score on the Red Menace, but I'm not sure how well they can defend them, unless they plan to work a lot harder than we've seen to date. Too bad they didn't get to play that December series, because hadn't Johnson lit into his team yet and got them to skate.

Well, they got to experience the No. 1 ranking for a week. Not thinking they'll see it again this year, although maybe Bucky will go back into hibernation at some point.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        In terms of getting better, the Gophers have some matchup problems. Wisconsin forwards were too fast coming around the corner for their D.
        The lack of quickness on defense for Minnesota has been a problem against everyone they have played this year. The only way they can try to help that is to make quicker decisions with the puck, but that is asking a lot with this group and will likely lead to more turnovers in trying to do that. It would be nice if they had someone like number 22 for Edina on the team now to better rush the puck out of the zone.

Comment

• If MN gets one before the 4th goal, I think it's a different game. UW is trying to build their confidence as you can tell in the post game comments and if MN gets to 1-3, that fragile confidence may have been cracked enough to get MN back in the game.

The quickness on D is something that I noticed for OSU and not for MN. OSU's D were unpucking the UW F's constantly in the D zone last weekend. They were smothering. And in transition OSU was not allowing any space upon entry into their D zone. OSU only gave up 1 real goal to UMD, so that is no fluke.

The reffing was bad as usual. It's just nuts that the consistency is so bad. I think they missed 2 blatant calls both ways and the fist call against MN was WEAK.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            The quickness on D is something that I noticed for OSU and not for MN. OSU's D were unpucking the UW F's constantly in the D zone last weekend. They were smothering. And in transition OSU was not allowing any space upon entry into their D zone. OSU only gave up 1 real goal to UMD, so that is no fluke.
            Yeah...OSU forwards also really create problems with their speed as well. They did a nice job against UMD last night with that but just couldn't get the puck by the UMD goalie. I thought OSU was the better team last night against UMD but sometimes that doesn't show on the scoreboard.

Comment

• More of the same...#24??? What was that.

Comment

• 7-zip so far for the Weekend...W...T...H...
                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-16-2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Well For F...S...The Gophers actually made a pass and got a goal. On the PP no less...Wonders never cease.
                  Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-16-2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• All three goals so far today have been beauties. Unfortunately the Gophers only have one of them. Need to claw our way back and win Period 2.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Wait...What? Another nice play but the Goofers and were tied...2-2

Comment

• Moral victory for the Goofers as the outscore the Sinners 2-1 in that period...And a 2nd period at that which they've been bad at this year. 3-3 after 2 periods.

Hey and thank you to the Sinner net minder for that 3rd goal. That was soft.

Comment

• Honest to God...How the heck do you give up goals like that. 10 fricken goals over 2 games so far...

Boy, have the Rodents been exposed this weekend...Number 14 with an absolutely horrible giveaway...Number 13 and Number 2 are mis-matched against the Wisconsin forwards
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-16-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Fitting that the BADgers get an ENG for 11 goals on the weekend. What an embarrassing weekend by Minnesota.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Fitting that the BADgers get an ENG for 11 goals on the weekend. What an embarrassing weekend by Minnesota.
                              Entering the 3rd period it was tied at 3-3 and I thought, OK if we play smart defense and take advantage of a Badger miscue or two we have a decent chance to win this thing. Well it didn't take long for the Badgers to put that thought to rest. Then they take advantage of a very unfortunate Gopher turnover to go up 5-3, and at that point I knew it was all but over. We'll see how the players - and coaches - can bounce back for another huge challenge next weekend when they face Ohio State in Columbus. Tough road ahead...Gophers have to get a lot better in a hurry.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Hey and thank you to the Sinner net minder for that 3rd goal. That was soft.
                                That was not good. Is it me just looking through red and white sunglasses, or does Bench lack a feel for the game? Or does the MN gig just have too much pressure? She looked very average out here, when you needed an eye popping save it just never happened.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X