Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I was not able to gain access to read the article. Does it provide a number of what the minimum is?
    According to the story, the minimum number of players is 15, including goalies. I guess UMD is dealing with a combination of injuries and illnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post

According to the story, the minimum number of players is 15, including goalies. I guess UMD is dealing with a combination of injuries and illnesses.
      Thanks, Lurky! I think 15 is reasonable. Three forward lines, two sets of D and two goalies. I hope they all get healthy sooner rather than later.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Thanks, Lurky! I think 15 is reasonable. Three forward lines, two sets of D and two goalies.
        I remember Northeastern being at 13 skaters for quite a few games in early 2014. At one point, the Huskies played (and won) with only 12 skaters dressed. They had three goalies, so they were still at that "magical" count of 15. I've watched games in the not-to-distant past where teams get pretty close to using 10 skaters. If you blink, you can miss that third line.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I remember Northeastern being at 13 skaters for quite a few games in early 2014. At one point, the Huskies played (and won) with only 12 skaters dressed. They had three goalies, so they were still at that "magical" count of 15. I've watched games in the not-to-distant past where teams get pretty close to using 10 skaters. If you blink, you can miss that third line.
          I remember a game in Ridder where the Gopher opponent started the game on the PK for "not enough players in uniform" or some such. I don't remember the year, but I think it was a game against UMD. Around that same time period, I remember the Gophers dressing a D in goalie gear so they had a "goalie" on the bench and would not get penalized. I think the rules probably have been around for a while in the WCHA, but now they postpone rather than penalize and play.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
            I remember a game in Ridder where the Gopher opponent started the game on the PK for "not enough players in uniform" or some such. I don't remember the year, but I think it was a game against UMD. Around that same time period, I remember the Gophers dressing a D in goalie gear so they had a "goalie" on the bench and would not get penalized. I think the rules probably have been around for a while in the WCHA, but now they postpone rather than penalize and play.
            Yes, UMD didn't have a second goalie for that series during Four Nations. As for the Gophers, I remember Brenda Reinen having minor surgery so there wasn't a backup for Jody Horak. I remember it being 2004-05, but it could have been the season before that. The goalie gear was bigger than Stacy Troumbly; I think they rotated the "honor."

Comment

Zoom Boom 2 SCSU 1...1 down 2 to go.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Zoom Boom 2 SCSU 1...1 down 2 to go.
                Gotta give the Huskies a lot of credit for battling until the final horn. As with the Mavericks they are a much improved hockey team that can compete with any of the top four in the conference. We'll see what happens in the rematches on Saturday and Sunday...I won't be surprised in the least if they come away with a win, or even two. Today's game was that close.

Comment

Gotta give the Huskies a lot of credit for battling until the final horn. As with the Mavericks they are a much improved hockey team that can compete with any of the top four in the conference. We'll see what happens in the rematches on Saturday and Sunday...I won't be surprised in the least if they come away with a win, or even two. Today's game was that close.
                  To your point, the PP goal SCSU scored was a very skilled play. More like a play you would see out of the top four teams in the league. Minnesota needs more than Zoom Boom scoring. Lots of forward talent on this team but just can't seem to find the right line combos.

Comment

Lots of forward talent on this team but just can't seem to find the right line combos.
                    There were large chunks of yesterday's game that led me to believe that the decision of other programs to sit this season out was the correct decision. I agree that the line combos look off. At times the passing was so abysmal, that it wouldn't matter who was on the ice. I'm spoiled watching these ladies play. They make such skillful plays at high speed with such regularity that it looks to us to be a "failure" on those instances when they don't. Yesterday on the PP, a stationary player would attempt to pass the puck to another stationary player, neither of whom was being pressured, and the pass would miss by several feet and clear the O. zone. Other basic puck skills have also declined. Attempts to skate onto a loose puck and possess it are now an adventure that are successful at a far lower percentage than we've come to expect. Players can be standing with the puck on their stick and it just kind of trickles away.

Some look like they aren't doing anything outside of formal practices to keep their reflexes sharp. This could be a year where trophies are won and lost based on the individual investments made in skills and conditioning while everyone was prevented from getting their customary ice time. If so, I'm not optimistic for the home team.

Comment

There were large chunks of yesterday's game that led me to believe that the decision of other programs to sit this season out was the correct decision. I agree that the line combos look off. At times the passing was so abysmal, that it wouldn't matter who was on the ice. I'm spoiled watching these ladies play. They make such skillful plays at high speed with such regularity that it looks to us to be a "failure" on those instances when they don't. Yesterday on the PP, a stationary player would attempt to pass the puck to another stationary player, neither of whom was being pressured, and the pass would miss by several feet and clear the O. zone. Other basic puck skills have also declined. Attempts to skate onto a loose puck and possess it are now an adventure that are successful at a far lower percentage than we've come to expect. Players can be standing with the puck on their stick and it just kind of trickles away.

Some look like they aren't doing anything outside of formal practices to keep their reflexes sharp. This could be a year where trophies are won and lost based on the individual investments made in skills and conditioning while everyone was prevented from getting their customary ice time. If so, I'm not optimistic for the home team.
                      Kinda eerie...It's almost like Eeyore has taken over your user account and posted for you.

Zoom Boom has been so good it doesn't seem to matter who she plays with plus, when it was together, the line of Boreen, Skaja, and Oden was effective. The rest of it just hasn't worked very well so far.

Comment

Kinda eerie...It's almost like Eeyore has taken over your user account and posted for you.
                        I know. And that was me trying to be kind and not naming names of the players whom I thought were positively dreadful.

Comment

I know. And that was me trying to be kind and not naming names of the players whom I thought were positively dreadful.
                          Don't have to worry about that today, ARM. Gophs played by far their best period of the year, scoring 4 and getting 19 shots on goal. VERY impressive!

Comment

Don't have to worry about that today, ARM. Gophs played by far their best period of the year, scoring 4 and getting 19 shots on goal. VERY impressive!
                            That was the 1st period...What Gopher team came out in the second period because that was truly awful...
                            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-09-2021, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Better third period from a puck possession standpoint by Minnesota. They win 4-1. Can't be happy with how they played in the second period, however.

Comment

Better third period from a puck possession standpoint by Minnesota. They win 4-1. Can't be happy with how they played in the second period, however.
                                They went from so good in the first to very average (at best) in the second, so much so that they didn't even look like the same team. At this point in the season consistency is definitely not their strong suit. The good news is they have the potential to be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X