Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Women's Hockey 20-21

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The immediate aftermath wasn't pretty in terms of the product on the ice, so I don't think that they have time. Would need to make up very quickly. But, yeah, some passion would be nice. That's what I think that we lack most w/o Muzz.
    I'm glad we have her now but I hear she's very demanding. Every year we get a new assistant coach and I don't know if it's our program is a short stepping stone for assistant coaches moving upwards in their careers or they just can't work under Muzzy?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      I'm glad we have her now but I hear she's very demanding. Every year we get a new assistant coach and I don't know if it's our program is a short stepping stone for assistant coaches moving upwards in their careers or they just can't work under Muzzy?
      Please feel free to send her back if you like.

      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Please feel free to send her back if you like.
        You wish!
        Only issue I have is I'd be afraid to run into her in a dark alley!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

          I'm glad we have her now but I hear she's very demanding. Every year we get a new assistant coach and I don't know if it's our program is a short stepping stone for assistant coaches moving upwards in their careers or they just can't work under Muzzy?
          I think it is more the latter. Muzz is definitely a “my way or the highway” type Coach and Muzz’s favorite person is always Muzz. Having said that I have grudgingly come around to seeing her as the best coach in the WCHA if not the country. Once she got past her first couple of seasons and got the players to buy into her program, OSU really took off. I think it’s safe to say she demands more from her players than any of the other coaches (any other team have a dry season?) and her attention to detail and use of biometrics is quite impressive (in-game monitoring of heart rates so she can let the team know between periods if they’re really working as hard as they think they are). I can’t imagine how good her program would be if she regularly got the players who are going to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

          Now I am curious to see is how she absorbs transfers into the program. It’s one thing to get freshmen to buy into a very challenging, total commitment program but it’s another to get veteran players to buy in and buy in quickly. I also wonder how such players might impact the culture the players have established for themselves. Hopefully that all goes well.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

            I think it is more the latter. Muzz is definitely a “my way or the highway” type Coach and Muzz’s favorite person is always Muzz. Having said that I have grudgingly come around to seeing her as the best coach in the WCHA if not the country. Once she got past her first couple of seasons and got the players to buy into her program, OSU really took off. I think it’s safe to say she demands more from her players than any of the other coaches (any other team have a dry season?) and her attention to detail and use of biometrics is quite impressive (in-game monitoring of heart rates so she can let the team know between periods if they’re really working as hard as they think they are). I can’t imagine how good her program would be if she regularly got the players who are going to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

            Now I am curious to see is how she absorbs transfers into the program. It’s one thing to get freshmen to buy into a very challenging, total commitment program but it’s another to get veteran players to buy in and buy in quickly. I also wonder how such players might impact the culture the players have established for themselves. Hopefully that all goes well.
            Muzz kind of reminds me of Michigan's softball coach Carol Hutchins. "Hutch" is actually Michigan's coach with the record for all time wins of all the Michigan sports programs. She's a crusty old bird who's also very demanding but you can't deny the results if you commit yourself to do what coaches like Muzz & Hutch ask of you.

            Comment


            • Meh...Can't really be mad as this is just another example of the same stuff that has been seen all year. Put Minnesota out of it's misery and do not select this team for the tournament. Please.

              And just a note from a fan to management. This season is a wakeup call to your staff. GET IT TOGETHER and don't come back next year with a squad that gets outhustled and outworked by the opponent more often than not. Kumbaya and all ain't cutting it anymore.
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-10-2021, 10:36 AM.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Meh...Can't really be mad as this is just another example of the same stuff that has been seen all year. Put Minnesota out of it's misery and do not select this team for the tournament. Please.

                And just a note from a fan to management. This season is a wakeup call to your staff. GET IT TOGETHER and don't come back next year with a squad that get outhustled and outworked by the opponent more often than not. Kumbaya and all ain't cutting it anymore.
                I thought the Gophers played better in periods two and three but then the goalies did them in on the last three goals.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                  I thought the Gophers played better in periods two and three but then the goalies did them in on the last three goals.
                  What was a strength earlier this season developed into a weakness later on. Paul and Bench each gave up a softie today which, against a team as talented as Wisconsin, you just can't do and expect to win.

                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    What was a strength earlier this season developed into a weakness later on. Paul and Bench each gave up a softie today which, against a team as talented as Wisconsin, you just can't do and expect to win.
                    Wisconsin didn't have to even touch the puck on the last goal and just had to tap in the other mistake for the 4th goal. I wasn't able to see the first two periods so I can't speak to the earlier stuff.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

                      Wisconsin didn't have to even touch the puck on the last goal and just had to tap in the other mistake for the 4th goal. I wasn't able to see the first two periods so I can't speak to the earlier stuff.
                      The first was a good pass into a skater coming up the crease, and just redirected in. Not really anyone to 'blame'. The second as best I recall was one of the two - second and third - by Webster and they were replays of one another. You hope a goalie can stop them, but it was a 'flip' up and by the shoulder. I feel bad for Bench on #4...

                      -----------

                      I went back and looked, #2 was a quick wrist shot blocker side that Paul might have gotten a piece of, Yeah, defense a little out of position.
                      Last edited by robertearle; 03-06-2021, 06:43 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        The first was a good pass into a skater coming up the crease, and just redirected in. Not really anyone to 'blame'.
                        At this level, it can be a rather unforgiving game. The definitive play of the 2019 Championship was UM's #19 basically watching while UW's #19 made a hustle play to get the puck and score a shortie that made it inevitable that UW would win. On the Badgers' first goal yesterday, Minnesota's #9 has position on Wisconsin's #9 as the play enters the zone, relaxes for a couple of strides, and gets beaten to the crease. When the Gophers were winning championships, they used to pay the price to defend. This year, I've seen way too many UM players who couldn't be bothered to move their feet. Where's Minnesota's second D on that play? Didn't get the puck deep while her team was changing, stopped to watch the play, wouldn't have been a factor had her goalie stopped Shirley. And a rebound shot. And another rebound.

                        These days, the Gophers look like BC when it comes to playing defense. That's never a good thing. Do you want to win? Then tell your skates that.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          At this level, it can be a rather unforgiving game. The definitive play of the 2019 Championship was UM's #19 basically watching while UW's #19 made a hustle play to get the puck and score a shortie that made it inevitable that UW would win. On the Badgers' first goal yesterday, Minnesota's #9 has position on Wisconsin's #9 as the play enters the zone, relaxes for a couple of strides, and gets beaten to the crease. When the Gophers were winning championships, they used to pay the price to defend. This year, I've seen way too many UM players who couldn't be bothered to move their feet. Where's Minnesota's second D on that play? Didn't get the puck deep while her team was changing, stopped to watch the play, wouldn't have been a factor had her goalie stopped Shirley. And a rebound shot. And another rebound.

                          These days, the Gophers look like BC when it comes to playing defense. That's never a good thing. Do you want to win? Then tell your skates that.
                          (I don't understand you guys and your use of uniform numbers instead of just saying the name. I don't know who wore #19 for the Gophers last year! I barely remember who did so for Wisconsin!)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            (I don't understand you guys and your use of uniform numbers instead of just saying the name. I don't know who wore #19 for the Gophers last year! I barely remember who did so for Wisconsin!)
                            In this case, I liked the symmetry of each teams' #19 (in 2019 no less!) and yesterday, the #9 of each team. Or maybe I don't know anyone's name and I'm too lazy to look them up ...

                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by robertearle View Post

                              (I don't understand you guys and your use of uniform numbers instead of just saying the name. I don't know who wore #19 for the Gophers last year! I barely remember who did so for Wisconsin!)
                              2019 is two years ago. Pankowski and Pannek. Yesterday was Shirley and Heise.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                (I don't understand you guys and your use of uniform numbers instead of just saying the name. I don't know who wore #19 for the Gophers last year! I barely remember who did so for Wisconsin!)
                                They don't want to publicly hurt anyone's feelings LOL. I'll admit when I come in here and read the numbers I just don't have the desire to go to their roster and figure out who is who.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X