2020-21 wcha women's composite schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Or maybe the rationale is that the regular season is just a prep to play a tournament. Who knows?
    That thought crossed my mind. The league really shouldn't hand out a regular season title due to the disparity of the schedules. MSU getting to play 6 more games than UW is a joke.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyGuy362 View Post
      First time posting here, so don't beat me up that bad.
      Welcome! Thanks for putting this together.

Based on what I did, UMD got a great deal and U of M got the raw end.
      I doubt that the players will see it that way. They came to the WCHA to play against tough competition. After the way 2020 has gone, they'll be thankful for any games that they get to play.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

[QUOTE=HockeyGuy362;n3625663] [/QUOTE

Yes....welcome. Don't be a stranger. We're all here to have fun. Having an 18th regular poster would be a nice accomplishment for the group.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

That thought crossed my mind. The league really shouldn't hand out a regular season title due to the disparity of the schedules. MSU getting to play 6 more games than UW is a joke.
          Going to be tough for Wisconsin to win the WCHA, unless they reschedule the missed games with UMD and U of M. They are already 12 points behind U of M, and if I did my math correct, they only have 16 games left to play, or a total of 48 points max they can earn. U of M has 20 games left, can earn max 60 points. So if Wisconsin wins out they will have 51 points, which means U of M only needs 37 points to beat them, or win only 13 of their remaining 20 games to win the WCHA. If Wisconsin accumulates points at the same pace as last year, 2.33 points per game, they will end with 35 points, which means U of M would only need to win 7 of their remaining 20 games to win the league.

This schedule seems a bit one sided. Even the home and away seems screwy. UMD has played 6 games, 4 at home, 2 away, with the schedule the will end up with 12 home games and 8 away games. Wisconsin played two games away, so with the second half they will play 10 away games and 6 home games. I can only assume this is due to rink availability, nothing else really makes sense.

Name Away Games Home Games Games Second Half Games Played Total Games
          Bemidji State 8 8 16 2 18
          Minnesota 7 7 14 6 20
          Minnesota Duluth 6 8 14 6 20
          Minnesota State 8 6 14 6 20
          Ohio State 6 8 14 4 18
          St. Cloud State 7 7 14 6 20
          Wisconsin 8 6 14 2 16

Comment

Going to be tough for Wisconsin to win the WCHA, unless they reschedule the missed games with UMD and U of M. They are already 12 points behind U of M, and if I did my math correct, they only have 16 games left to play, or a total of 48 points max they can earn. U of M has 20 games left, can earn max 60 points. So if Wisconsin wins out they will have 51 points, which means U of M only needs 37 points to beat them, or win only 13 of their remaining 20 games to win the WCHA. If Wisconsin accumulates points at the same pace as last year, 2.33 points per game, they will end with 35 points, which means U of M would only need to win 7 of their remaining 20 games to win the league.

This schedule seems a bit one sided. Even the home and away seems screwy. UMD has played 6 games, 4 at home, 2 away, with the schedule the will end up with 12 home games and 8 away games. Wisconsin played two games away, so with the second half they will play 10 away games and 6 home games. I can only assume this is due to rink availability, nothing else really makes sense.
            Some thoughts:
            - Looks like the three Big 10 schools are trying to limit their games against MSU, SCSU, and BSU per those three schools not having the same, daily Coivid-19 testing protocols.
            - I think the WCHA will forgo announcing a regular season champion this year due to the imbalanced schedule.
            - I recall the WCHA has already announced this year's WCHA Tournament will be limited to the top 4 teams. I have no doubt MN, WI and OSU will make it. Yes, those three teams will be beating each other up in the second half which could hurt their conference point totals, but I believe the WCHA will stick with these three based on what are sure to be pretty high national rankings (which is the right thing to do). The fourth team could be more up in the air. UMD is the clear favorite but, for example, if BSU were to run the MSU/SCSU tables, split with the Big 3, and sweep UMD, I could see BSU getting the fourth spot in the tournament. I think that's a very tall mountain for BSU to climb but I think it's their only way in.

Question: has an NCAA tournament for women's hockey been ruled in or out yet?

Comment

I was tweeting with Todd D Milewski about the unbalanced schedule and the impact in having a regular season wwcha champ and he tweeted to me that the wwcha will have a points percentage system that will even things out so they can crown a regular season champ. He said this would be in an upcoming article he was going to write (which he did). One would have thought that the wwcha would have threw this out there when they announced the balance of the schedule, so everything is nice and neat and tidy. And the format of the year end tourney isn't finalized yet either!? It isn't like Flowers doesn't have time to get this stuff together and rolled out in a timely manner. This is her full time job right?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I was tweeting with Todd D Milewski about the unbalanced schedule and the impact in having a regular season wwcha champ and he tweeted to me that the wwcha will have a points percentage system that will even things out so they can crown a regular season champ. He said this would be in an upcoming article he was going to write (which he did). One would have thought that the wwcha would have threw this out there when they announced the balance of the schedule, so everything is nice and neat and tidy. And the format of the year end tourney isn't finalized yet either!? It isn't like Flowers doesn't have time to get this stuff together and rolled out in a timely manner. This is her full time job right?
                Yea, why would you explain it all at once, or have everything figured out since you have had months to do so.

Comment

Yea, why would you explain it all at once, or have everything figured out since you have had months to do so.
                  As someone working in another affected community(the bridge world), I can tell you that no one has things figured out yet. This is an unprecedented event in our lifetimes. Everyone is playing it by ear. Don't expect to see certainty from any reputable source. We need to be flexible and also forgiving. Things may not work out to our highest expectations, so let's hope for the best, and be gracious and generous when we don't receive that.

Comment

Let's just drop the puck whenever and wherever we can right now. Sort out the wins, losses, games played, vs who, come March, or whenever. Too many unknown unknowns still out there, waiting to surprise us.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

As someone working in another affected community(the bridge world), I can tell you that no one has things figured out yet. This is an unprecedented event in our lifetimes. Everyone is playing it by ear. Don't expect to see certainty from any reputable source. We need to be flexible and also forgiving. Things may not work out to our highest expectations, so let's hope for the best, and be gracious and generous when we don't receive that.
                      Yes but you don't have legitimate standings if you don't have a points system figured out and how hard is it to say "the top 4 teams will play in the tourney at a tbd site" or "we're going to bubble in a tbd site and all 7 teams are in". Building bridges is infinitely more complicated than running the wwcha.

Comment

The WCHA is very short sighted in only allowing the top 4 teams make the playoff while teams from other conferences that would not be in the top 7 of the WCH are in playoffs.....

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Recognizing that this maybe isn't the best place to post this, I wanted a more 'central' location instead of the Wisconsin team thread, etc. Apologies to the people from the other conferences...

WCHA "all conference" teams announced:

http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...ing-trophy.php

Coach of the year, player of the year, etc, coming tomorrow.
                          No Buckeyes on the first team? Not something I saw coming.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

And another honor for Grace - Congratulations!

http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...nth-honors.php

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                            X