2020-21 wcha women's composite schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020-21 wcha women's composite schedule

League play begins on November 20, with each team playing 8 games during the first half.

http://www.wcha.com/women/schedule/index.php
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

The Muzzinator's squad gets 4 games each against Minnesota and Wisconsin...Yikes.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Well, that didn’t take long. WCHA just announced the BSU/St Cloud series scheduled for next weekend is canceled. Evidently St Cloud has 9 players who’ve tested positive. No makeup date has been scheduled yet.

Comment

So St. Cloud goes and blows the whole thing up before it even starts. It would have ben great to get off to a clean start to the schedule. I suppose they can always make them up. Not a good sign.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          Well, that didn’t take long. WCHA just announced the BSU/St Cloud series scheduled for next weekend is canceled. Evidently St Cloud has 9 players who’ve tested positive. No makeup date has been scheduled yet.
          https://www.bsubeavers.com/whockey/n...ate-postponed/

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            The Muzzinator's squad gets 4 games each against Minnesota and Wisconsin...Yikes.
            Do or die for the Buckeyes for sure!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a team comes up with a player testing positive, the whole team would be quarantined for two weeks and unable to play, yes? And that would also apply to whichever team they played the previous weekend since those players would also have been exposed, yes? That takes out those two teams for the following two weekends and gives their scheduled opponents automatic bye weekends. And with such an abbreviated schedule to begin with, a crappy season kind of turns into a farce, doesn't it?

I looked for a positive spin, but maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I'm imagining a team being able to say, "We won the season. Granted, we only played two games."

Comment

Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a team comes up with a player testing positive, the whole team would be quarantined for two weeks and unable to play, yes? And that would also apply to whichever team they played the previous weekend since those players would also have been exposed, yes? That takes out those two teams for the following two weekends and gives their scheduled opponents automatic bye weekends. And with such an abbreviated schedule to begin with, a crappy season kind of turns into a farce, doesn't it?

I looked for a positive spin, but maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I'm imagining a team being able to say, "We won the season. Granted, we only played two games."
                The Big Ten protocols are not that strict, at least with regard to how things have gone with the football teams - Wisconsin in particular.

As I understand it, every player is tested daily (or every other day?) with the faster but more prone to false results 'saliva' test. A positive on that test results in isolation while a more reliable RNA-PRC test is conducted. If that test is positive, the player is further isolated, and is ineligible for 21 days. All the players are 'tracked' all the time they are at the team's facilities, such that for any player who is confirmed positive, any others in 'close contact' with them can also be isolated and tested with the more reliable RNA test. If that test comes back negative, they are allowed to return to team activities (if positive, of course they are also isolated, etc, and the process is repeated for their 'close contacts').

When the overall team's positive test rate reaches a certain level, then the whole team suspends activities. One player testing positive does not automatically shut everything down.

Of course, a football team with 100 members can 'absorb' a player or two (or five) being unavailable more easily than a hockey team can. And it might be easier to keep 'player groups' separate and so limit the 'close contacts' in football than it would be in hockey.

(Note also that the Big Ten protocols and restrictions etc - particularly the "21 day" ineligibility - is stricter than NCAA protocols. That is why the 'Big Ten' teams are playing one another and the 'non Big Ten' teams are playing one another - because they have not quite worked out what 'the rules' will be for play between the two groups. Whether St Cloud and Bemidji etc will have to adopt Big Ten restrictions to be allowed by the Big Ten to play the Big Ten teams or whether the Big Ten teams will be able to get an 'exception' or 'dispensation' from the stricter protocols remains the sticking pint.)
                Last edited by robertearle; 11-16-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post

There's more description of the 'Big Ten' vs 'non Big Ten' issue here (along with a link to the Big Ten "Return to Play" rules).

https://www.uscho.com/2020/11/09/wom...4-game-season/

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

There's more description of the 'Big Ten' vs 'non Big Ten' issue here (along with a link to the Big Ten "Return to Play" rules).

https://www.uscho.com/2020/11/09/wom...4-game-season/
                    Additional info I've heard:
                    - UMD evidently purchased a COVID testing machine allowing them to test more frequently than BSU, MSU and SCSU and, thus, be able to play the Big10 teams. (Not sure what a university that's in such bad financial shape is doing buying a COVID testing machine but that's another topic.)
                    - Originally the Big10 schools were saying the other teams had to come to their arenas for all games but they've been able to back off that now.
                    - Sounds like for any of the other schools to play a Big10 school they at least have to match the Big10 testing requirements for the week leading up to the games.
                    - I believe the other schools are doing surveillance testing of small groups of players each week rather than testing the entire team every time. Not sure what happens if someone in a surveillance group tests positive. Does that mean just that group quarantines or does the whole team have to quarantine? Seems more likely teams will have to quarantine every player every time there's a positive as just by sharing a locker room and playing small area games, for instance, they're having "close contact" I would think.
                    - Players who test positive are out for up to 21 days per the NCAA quarantine + heart protocol. If others are quarantined due to having close contact but have not tested positive, I'm guessing they get a shorter 10 - 14 day quarantine.

Comment

WCHA WOMEN'S LEAGUE ANNOUNCES SECOND HALF 2020-21 SCHEDULE

http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...1-schedule.php

Comment

They aren't even attempting to have the teams play each other an even amount of times and they won't end up playing an even amount of games? They could play 4 times in a week, the UW men did. So basically UMD gets to play the little sisters of the poor the most while UW UM and OSU duke it out. This is lamer than I expected.

Comment

MSU plays at total of 22 games, while UW plays 16. The only way that you can make this equivalent is to have each season series be worth a set amount (say, 60 points). If teams play six times, ten each game within that series is worth 10 points. Play four times, each gave is worth 15 points. Play only twice, then each game is 30 points. I didn't check -- are there any teams that never play each other?

Or maybe the rationale is that the regular season is just a prep to play a tournament. Who knows?
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            They aren't even attempting to have the teams play each other an even amount of times and they won't end up playing an even amount of games? They could play 4 times in a week, the UW men did. So basically UMD gets to play the little sisters of the poor the most while UW UM and OSU duke it out. This is lamer than I expected.
                            First time posting here, so don't beat me up that bad.

I did a quick calculation on the strength of schedule using last years finish. Teams get 7 for playing Wisco, 6 for playing Minnesota, etc.. Did not factor in if it was home or away.

Based on what I did, UMD got a great deal and U of M got the raw end.

50 Minnesota Duluth
                            54 Minnesota State
                            54 Wisconsin
                            55 Ohio State
                            56 Bemidji State
                            60 St. Cloud State
                            64 Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyGuy362 View Post

First time posting here, so don't beat me up that bad.

I did a quick calculation on the strength of schedule using last years finish. Teams get 7 for playing Wisco, 6 for playing Minnesota, etc.. Did not factor in if it was home or away.

Based on what I did, UMD got a great deal and U of M got the raw end.

50 Minnesota Duluth
                              54 Minnesota State
                              54 Wisconsin
                              55 Ohio State
                              56 Bemidji State
                              60 St. Cloud State
                              64 Minnesota
                              That clearly shows how messed up this is.

Comment

Working...
                              X