Hockey East...COVID edition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East...COVID edition...

Friends and fans of Hockey East!!! I am growing tired of only Badger/PSU/Gopher talk. Let’s talk about HE and what may or may not be happening with the undisputed, absolutely, positively the best conference for student athlete travel in D1 if not all of women’s college hockey!

Info from my contacts has gone cold...word was that schedules (conference only) were going to be coming out “middle of October” and that has not happened. Fingers crossed we see/hear something soon as November is upon us!

Comment

Rumor from my sources say Big 10 schools will be playing each other with maybe Duluth added in. If Hockey East can test according to big 10 protocols then maybe some non- conference games with Big 10 only rumors though. I have been told expect Big 10 announcement within two weeks. Then games to start around Thanksgiving. Big ten protocols trump other conferences. So MN,OSU,PSU, Wisc, would have to follow Big Ten rules. Those rules would have to be followed for any school wanting to play a Big Ten school. What i have heard is holding everything up with release of schedules is that the expense of testing is cost prohibitive for smaller schools. National tournament probably won't happen for 2nd year in a row. I have also heard that just because players have been granted an extra year of eligibility doesn't mean the University has to pony up the money for extra years. What my source told me is that prevents the recruiting log jam. IE third and 4th line players on scholarship once their 4 years of school are done may have to enter the transfer portal to play that 5th year. Again just speculation based upon what I am hearing
      through the grapevine.

Comment

Not to be the debbie downer here, but I really cannot see how a season happens this year. Has any fall sport (men or women) happened outside of SOME football? I don't see what changes in the next month or two that lets a season happen. Maybe only big 10 mens since they could justify the cost with the TV money (i.e., lose less money than other sports). If we are very lucky we see a men's and women's basketball season of some kind but I think hockey in general will be hard, women's hockey in particular very hard to cost-wise pull off a season. In terms of extra eligibility, I fully agree most schools cannot afford > 18 schollys even if the NCAA will allow. They are allowing fall sport seniors to keep an extra year of scholly from my understanding but a school does not have to offer it.

Comment

WCHA men is scheduled, Atlantic Hockey is schedule, BIG10 appears to be happening, USHL is happening (preseason games the last couple weekends), NAHL is happening (again preseason games last couple weekends)...I know nothing about basketball and its Covid issues...

All indications is that HockeyEast is still happening...the kids are on campus and practicing. The costs and overnights required are minimal in HE in my opinion...everything is within a 2 hour bus ride outside of Vermont and Maine. So on the Mens side that is 10/12 member schools within 2 hours requiring ZERO overnights. On the women's side it is 9/11 within the 2 hours and zero overnights except VT & ME.

Regarding scholly's and info that I know or have heard they are being used this year (assuming the kid is in school) regardless of the season counting eligibility wise. Financial aid is being used this year regardless of the season counting. If your scholly or aid package is 19/20, 20/21, 21/22, & 22/23 it is tbd but not guaranteed what that looks like in 23/24. Those scholly's are potentially the big fixed costs if I had to guess.

The ECAC...thanks to the Ivies that is a whole other big bag of unknown. I know of some kids that are practicing/schooling and others that are doing the gap year thing. It will be interesting for sure.

What do you think T the T?!?

Comment

StarTribune says today there may be a WCHA schedule announcement by the end of the week. Sounds like they will start the season with the BIG10 teams playing each other and the 4 NSIC teams playing each other.

Comment

Heard something about a season (aka games) happening in 2-3 weeks in HE. Fingers crossed a schedule coming out late this week or sometime next week.

Comment

No reply from T3. I hope he's ok.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The Hockey East schedules will be released tomorrow. Each team in the league will play the other league teams twice. Play will start on November 20th for some teams and others will start a week or two later. At this point, Hockey East still plans to have conference tournaments for both the men and women at the end of regular season play.
                  THINK PINK
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    No reply from T3. I hope he's ok.
                    Sorry I just truly hate this new forum, it is borderline unusable... and I'm not one to be change-averse!

Everything whoop said is what I've heard although didn't know today was the sched release date, I just heard it would be sometime this week.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Sorry I just truly hate this new forum, it is borderline unusable... and I'm not one to be change-averse!

Everything whoop said is what I've heard although didn't know today was the sched release date, I just heard it would be sometime this week.
                      Agree...the navigation part is so annoying and it is multiple clicks to get to the end of a thread. Very annoying. Please dont be gone too much as I need you more than ever with my favorite hockey player now playing in HE.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/articles...ails-women.pdf

Mostly home and home games (except games involving VT & ME), all appear to be on weekends, and until the end of February. An interesting wrinkle is that there are 6 "non-HE" games against HE teams in February.
                      Last edited by used2lurk; 11-11-2020, 02:10 PM. Reason: typo or two and added link to schedule...

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                        Please dont be gone too much as I need you more than ever with my favorite hockey player now playing in HE.
                        Oh I'll be here! Usually just slows down in the offseason...

You a goalie parent perhaps??

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          You a goalie parent perhaps??
                          Thank goodness I am not. I have read your BC writings and posts for years and now have the opportunity to enjoy them even more!

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                            Thank goodness I am not. I have read your BC writings and posts for years and now have the opportunity to enjoy them even more!
                            Well I appreciate that!!

Hoping for a nice bounce back this season... Fingers crossed

Comment

https://uvmathletics.com/news/2020/1...cember-18.aspx

Hope the rest of the schools make a decision based on how their team has been handling the requirements and not punish them for issues going on in other parts of the school or community like UVM has chosen to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X