Finally an 8th team for the WCHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally an 8th team for the WCHA?

Momentum is building for St. Thomas to go straight from D3 to D1 for all sports, including women's hockey. Buried in the below article about the men's program is this snippet about the women:
    "As for the Tommies women’s hockey program, it would fit in seamlessly in the WCHA, which is seeking an eighth team after North Dakota inexplicably eliminated its women’s team in 2017."

https://www.startribune.com/positive...mas/571367402/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Does anyone know how their arena compares to the pole barn that is OSU Ice Rink?
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      Does anyone know how their arena compares to the pole barn that is OSU Ice Rink?
      https://tommiesports.com/facilities/Ice_Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post
        Right... I forgot that was where the 2019 D-III Championship was held.

Somewhat better than Columbus (though I cannot believe I'm saying that; that's more of a denouncement of OSU).

Comment

I don't know....Yes I'm always lamenting the fact that the #1 seed gets deprived of 2 home games in the wwcha tourney, but on the other hand I really the opportunity to see different teams in the n/c schedule.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I don't know....Yes I'm always lamenting the fact that the #1 seed gets deprived of 2 home games in the wwcha tourney, but on the other hand I really the opportunity to see different teams in the n/c schedule.
            I agree with you on liking to see more n/c games, an it makes events like the Minnesota Cup possible. However, a seven-team league has more problems than just the first-round bye in the WCHA tourney. One of the seven teams will always have a bye in the final weekend of the regular season. If that is the #1 team, then it is off for two weeks before the semifinal -- far from ideal. Some programs also struggle to fill all 10 n/c slots, so part of the benefit is lost.

I guess that the question could be raised if programs like UMD and BSU will have more difficulty competing with a D-I St. Thomas if it is a WCHA member. That is likely the case, but should it be a concern? As for SCSU and MSU, the point could be made that they have struggled to contend for the top half of the league the way it is.

The St. Thomas arena looks like a nice, new TC-area HS rink. Sufficient for today, but not really conducive to growing the game. Not that we've seen much momentum for growth of late. I hoped for more from the 2018 US gold medal, but that didn't happen that I noticed.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              The St. Thomas arena looks like a nice, new TC-area HS rink. Sufficient for today, but not really conducive to growing the game. Not that we've seen much momentum for growth of late. I hoped for more from the 2018 US gold medal, but that didn't happen that I noticed.
              Mostly agree, particularly if we're focusing on Women's Hockey. 1,000 seats is actually a nice size for most D-1 Programs, most of the time. Take a typical crowd numbering in the hundreds, add a good pep band, and you've got a great atmosphere. As per the linked photo, it appears that the St. Thomas rink would fit that formula very nicely.

Should a building of that size host a Frozen Four or a Final Face-Off? No, of course not. And to acknowledge the obvious, MN & WI have larger fan bases, and 1,000 seats would be unsuitable for those programs.

But for the rest of us, turning fans away is the rare exception. Quite honestly having far too many seats, and the mausoleum atmosphere that tends to result, is a larger concern.

Last but not least: What if we do get to the point where 1,000 seats is way too small -- even for regular season games -- and solutions simply must be found? I'm going to say that's a problem with a rather large silver lining.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                But for the rest of us, turning fans away is the rare exception.
                You're right. The capacity will always be an issue versus Minnesota, though, as the recent US Hockey Hall of Fame Games that have included the Gophers have all exceeded 1,000. The most recent in Prior Lake drew 1,400, and Mendota Heights is more centrally located. Anyway, it's not terrible, and definitely a couple steps up from All Seasons Arena in Mankato. To be fair, it's also a better looking rink than the likes of the old DECC in Duluth.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  Mostly agree, particularly if we're focusing on Women's Hockey. 1,000 seats is actually a nice size for most D-1 Programs, most of the time. Take a typical crowd numbering in the hundreds, add a good pep band, and you've got a great atmosphere. As per the linked photo, it appears that the St. Thomas rink would fit that formula very nicely.

Should a building of that size host a Frozen Four or a Final Face-Off? No, of course not. And to acknowledge the obvious, MN & WI have larger fan bases, and 1,000 seats would be unsuitable for those programs.

But for the rest of us, turning fans away is the rare exception. Quite honestly having far too many seats, and the mausoleum atmosphere that tends to result, is a larger concern.

Last but not least: What if we do get to the point where 1,000 seats is way too small -- even for regular season games -- and solutions simply must be found? I'm going to say that's a problem with a rather large silver lining.
                  I was in that rink for the 2019 DIII Championship. It's a decent rink, not as aesthetically pleasing as the ones at Plattsburgh, Norwich and Middlebury, but fairly modern.

In terms of atmosphere, I agree with you about the size. For the semifinal that ended up being the two local schools (Hamline vs St. Thomas), the place was packed to the point of turning people away at the door, and that size crowd in a smaller arena made for one of the most intense women's hockey games I'd been to live.

Comment

“In some ways, it was a no-brainer,’’ said Jennifer Flowers, WCHA women’s commissioner. “It’s an absolute win-win for both of us.’’

https://www.startribune.com/new-oppo...n-i/571890302/
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      So it looks like the rodents get 2 more home games LOL.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        So it looks like the rodents get 2 more home games LOL.
                        Over the years, there have been games in both St. Cloud and Mankato where UM has had more fans in attendance than the hosts. The Concrete Center and All-Seasons were quirky rinks, so not quite home games, but definitely an edge in support.

Comment

Right... I forgot that was where the 2019 D-III Championship was held.

Somewhat better than Columbus (though I cannot believe I'm saying that; that's more of a denouncement of OSU).
                          Looks like the exact same floor plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus Buckice View Post

Looks like the exact same floor plan.
                            If I was only considering the playing surface, team benches, and spectator seating I might begrudgingly concur. But when you consider other amenities -- team locker rooms, concessions, restrooms, lobby, etc. -- then no, the OSU Ice Rink is not even close.

Comment

If I was only considering the playing surface, team benches, and spectator seating I might begrudgingly concur. But when you consider other amenities -- team locker rooms, concessions, restrooms, lobby, etc. -- then no, the OSU Ice Rink is not even close.
                              Ohio State doesn't have locker rooms, concessions or restrooms in the old ice rink.

But it does offer a pretty sweet view of the Zamboni behind the scenes, from the upper corner of the stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X