Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-2019

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    ... right up until they didn't. The call against Pankowski in the third period that led to the game winner. was a not-so-instant replay of Pankowski getting pulled down at pretty much exactly the same spot behind the net during the second period. (Not to mention Steffen being pulled down in the high crease while splitting two defenders with the puck at the beginning of a third period power play, which didn't get called because 5-on-3 was never gonna happen. And on, and on...)

I'm sure Gopher fans have a half-dozen instances in mind from yesterday. But if that's the way you're gonna ref a game, then just go to a "black and white marbles in the pocket at random intervals" system.

I understand that striking the right balance between "too much" and "not enough" is especially tough in a game like Gophers-vs-Badgers, but yesterday was NOT a satisfactory answer.
    I have noticed over the last couple of years that officials are letting the game get more and more physical. There was more hitting in this years UM / UMD and OSU games than I have ever seen in the womens game. I am OK with that part of it because most of it looked clean and it is part not the whole reason (as it is in the mens) for the game. Sadly, it also seems that part of this loosening of the rules is sliding towards the mens level of letting stuff go. That is not going to be good for the players or the game.

I didn't see the game but listened to it online. It sounded like both teams didn't get calls they should have & also got ones they shouldn't have. That is not how this should work but it looks like the way the world is headed. My guess is Badger fans would have been OK with it if the score had been reversed.

Comment

"The rules" as best I could tell yesterday was that unless you had the puck and were directly threatening the goal, you weren't getting the call. And that might be a reasonable set of "rules". But then the Steffen's pulldown not getting called, and the Pankowski hook/hold getting called blew that theory up.

Badger fans would be happy with consistency. They didn't get that yesterday.

Comment

"The rules" as best I could tell yesterday was that unless you had the puck and were directly threatening the goal, you weren't getting the call. And that might be a reasonable set of "rules". But then the Steffen's pulldown not getting called, and the Pankowski hook/hold getting called blew that theory up.

Minnesota was called for 3 penalties/6 minutes vs. Wisconsin's 2 penalties/4 minutes. The Badgers failed to capitalize on any of their three power play opportunities vs. the Gophers' one of two.

You are going out on a limb in attempting to put the blame for the loss on the officiating.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Minnesota was called for 3 penalties/6 minutes vs. Wisconsin's 2 penalties/4 minutes. The Badgers failed to capitalize on any of their three power play opportunities vs. the Gophers' one of two.

You are going out on a limb in attempting to put the blame for the loss on the officiating.
          ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE did I "attempt to put the blame for the loss on the officiating". Gophers got one to go in, and the Badgers didn't. Gophers win. That does not change the fact that the officiating was objectionably, unacceptably inconsistent

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Thanks, that would have been a personal best (we have caught a 47 & 48 on the Madison Chain the last 3 years for record @ bluffrinkrat). I did manage a nice 33" pike, which was a lot of fun. The weather was just perfect too, what a great day outside.
            All right, you've got me beat. My largest was a 47" musky caught in the Mississippi River below the Pokegama Dam at Cohasset.
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-28-2018, 12:26 PM. Reason: Of course, if we're talking sturgeon you've got no chance.
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE did I "attempt to put the blame for the loss on the officiating". Gophers got one to go in, and the Badgers didn't. Gophers win. That does not change the fact that the officiating was objectionably, unacceptably inconsistent
              OK sorry I guess I read too much into what you were saying. I'll just say that you did refer to two plays, both of which happened to go against Wisconsin. And one of them happened to lead to the only goal either team scored in the game.

Obviously this was a game where the officials decided to let a lot of stuff go, stuff that would probably be called in most games, and these "non-calls" went both ways. We'll see how they decide to call 'em today.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It's a Bob Ludwig game. If you're expecting competence, you're going to be disappointed.

Comment

We would all be happy with consistency but it is not going to happen. The best we can hope for is equitable incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                    All right, you've got me beat. My largest was a 47" musky caught in the Mississippi River below the Pokegama Dam at Cohasset.
                    I just wanted to point out there is fantastic fishing on Monona and Waubesa. You have me beat on sturgeon, my biggest is 0. My son does own the WI state record on golden shiner, I of course was the boat captain. His fish was the second state record caught on my boat.

If I recall, Ludwig seems to always get the UW/UM games.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If I recall, Ludwig seems to always get the UW/UM games.
                      And Roth. I don't know or remember Olsen (though that might have been a good thing; unnoticed refs usually mean they're doing a good job).

Today was better, though that may be a function of a cleaner game all around; way fewer 'obvious' penalties, and the ones there were got called. The back to back calls against UW were both completely legit, eg. If a Gopher fan wanted to complain about a couple things in the frantic last three or four minutes of the third, they'd get no push back from me.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that Wisconsin fans manage the tough challenge of being even more ridiculous in complaints about the refs than Minnesota fans. I was leaning in that direction anyway, but the clincher was when the folks around me today erupted in outrage when icing was waved off on a play where the puck never made it within six feet of the goal line.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                          I've come to the conclusion that Wisconsin fans manage the tough challenge of being even more ridiculous in complaints about the refs than Minnesota fans. I was leaning in that direction anyway, but the clincher was when the folks around me today erupted in outrage when icing was waved off on a play where the puck never made it within six feet of the goal line.
                          So otherwise how did you like your first trip to Madison?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            Any reason to make noise is legit, whether or not the reason is legit. That's being a fan, Course 101.

Glad my son and his friends got to see an entertaining game. I did 5 loads of laundry, made breakfast sandwiches, fried pike for supper, watched the Green Bay offense pea away a great defensive effort today and ran 3 meetings at Church. The question is who had more fun today?
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Interesting, in my head it seemed like they always lost to them, Penn St. and the rodents.
                              They did take a set from the Rodents last night...
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                They did take a set from the Rodents last night...
                                Eight times in ten losses last year, and now four times in five losses this year, Wisconsin has won the first set. That can't be 'coincidence', and it drives me nuts. How, why is that happening? Win the first set, and lose the match. Figure that out, fix that, and the sky is the limit.

The Gophers this year are really, really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X