Ohio State Buckeyes 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Buckeyes 2016-2017

I read a comment on one of the other threads where a poster complained about all the game threads, so I have decided to give this one-big-thread-for-the-entire-season thing a try. Ohio State will open the 2016-17 campaign with three road trips before coming home on 10/21-10/22 to take on the defending National Champion Minnesota Gophers. The Buckeyes did not have an exhibition game this season and will start the Nadine Muzerall era with a trip to Troy, NY to take on RPI this Friday and Saturday. I will readily admit that I do not know much about RPI's personnel or their outlook for this season. In regard to the Buckeyes, we are getting a couple of key players back who did not play all of last year. RS-freshman defenseman Jincy Dunne is expected to play, and we should also have RS-sophomore goaltender Kassidy Sauve back on the ice as well. We did lose five underclassman players from last year's team, three of whom transferred to other programs. There will only be two seniors this season, defenseman Breanne Grant and forward Katie Matheny. I have not yet seen or heard any information on who will be our captains or assistant captains this season. We have three girls who transferred in, so they will be sitting out this season. We also have seven true freshmen on the roster and three true sophomores (I have already mentioned the redshirts and wanted to avoid confusion), so we will be a fairly young team. We have five true juniors on the roster as well. That rounds out the roster of 22 players, which I will just paste here if you want more detail.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ockey-mtt.html

We do have some talented kids, although they will be playing for their third different coach in three seasons. I totally admire the resiliency of the young ladies who have stuck with the program through all of this. I also understand why some would want to transfer out. These kids have to do what is best for them. I am looking forward to this season, as I do every season, and cannot wait to get started. I know I should talk about expectations, but expectations are tricky this season with a new coach and a new system. I was probably saying this last season, but I trust the new coaching staff and am going to enjoy the process. This year will be about laying a foundation. If we are able to win a bunch of games in the process, that will be great. I know the girls will work very hard for the new coaching staff. As is always the case with these threads I start, I want to welcome any RPI fans who would like to tell us about your team and what you expect this season.

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2016-2017

osualum86, I think your transfers may be able to play right away this year. My understanding is they only have to sit out a year if they are transferring from a WCHA school and it looks like the Buckeyes coming in are all from out east, is that right?

My money is on Dani Sadek to wear the 'C'. I have to wish the new Muzerall OSU team well, it will certainly be interesting to see how they do being how you they without a coach just a few weeks before the season!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
      osualum86, I think your transfers may be able to play right away this year. My understanding is they only have to sit out a year if they are transferring from a WCHA school and it looks like the Buckeyes coming in are all from out east, is that right?
      That's my understanding as well. Caitlyn Reilly was allowed to play for Minnesota last year after transferring from Penn State, while Nicole Schammel had to sit a year after coming from Minnesota State.
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I believe that is the case. As long as the girls are coming in from "out of conference" they don't have to sit the year for transfer rules.

I am very interested to see how this all pans out. Ohio State is one of the top schools on my daughters list so we will be watching and communicating with them as much as we can.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          I read a comment on one of the other threads where a poster complained about all the game threads, so I have decided to give this one-big-thread-for-the-entire-season thing a try. . .
          MEH! Joke 'em if they can't take a . . . bunch of posts. They can easily skip stuff they don't want to see. Unless there is a huge uproar post as you think appropriate.

I hope things settle down for OSU. You got a very good coach there now (though it will be interesting to see how she does in the lead, she is tough as nails & no nonsense as far as I can tell). It would be nice to have a couple of different teams in the 3-4 slot, maybe beat the Badgers a couple times a year and finish second The girls deserve some stability and quality leadership, hopefully Muzzy will give them that & not run into NCAA issues either.

Comment

Has the new coach been cleared to coach yet? Visa's can be slow with govt. red tape. She was in Minny last weekend. May have to do like the boy's in the movie Stripes did and train themselves when Sgt. Hulka went down.

Comment

Thank you for the responses and the kind words, everyone! I can't wait to get this season started! I just wish the first three weekends weren't on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
                Has the new coach been cleared to coach yet? Visa's can be slow with govt. red tape. She was in Minny last weekend. May have to do like the boy's in the movie Stripes did and train themselves when Sgt. Hulka went down.
                I seriously doubt she would have been publicly named as coach had her visa issues not been cleared. When she joined Minnesota's staff, there had only been rumors until she just showed up in Bemidji for the series vs. the Beavers.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  I seriously doubt she would have been publicly named as coach had her visa issues not been cleared. When she joined Minnesota's staff, there had only been rumors until she just showed up in Bemidji for the series vs. the Beavers.
                  I am sure there are no issues but the wheels of government move slowly and on their terms.

Comment

I am sure there are no issues but the wheels of government move slowly and on their terms.
                    Why would there be a visa issue? She has been working in the US for 5 years already. I worked with 'work permit' engineers & I know it is tied to employer but a couple of them changed employers and there was no delay.

Comment

I don't think she is on the road trip to Troy NY.

Comment

I don't think she is on the road trip to Troy NY.
                        Smart lady.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Smart lady.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Someone has inside information! For the team's sake, let's hope she is there. Seems like a rather long and not so straightforward process and as someone mentioned earlier, making the announcement without having the paperwork in order seems like a rookie move.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              I read a comment on one of the other threads where a poster complained about all the game threads, so I have decided to give this one-big-thread-for-the-entire-season thing a try. Ohio State will open the 2016-17 campaign with three road trips before coming home on 10/21-10/22 to take on the defending National Champion Minnesota Gophers. The Buckeyes did not have an exhibition game this season and will start the Nadine Muzerall era with a trip to Troy, NY to take on RPI this Friday and Saturday. I will readily admit that I do not know much about RPI's personnel or their outlook for this season. In regard to the Buckeyes, we are getting a couple of key players back who did not play all of last year. RS-freshman defenseman Jincy Dunne is expected to play, and we should also have RS-sophomore goaltender Kassidy Sauve back on the ice as well. We did lose five underclassman players from last year's team, three of whom transferred to other programs. There will only be two seniors this season, defenseman Breanne Grant and forward Katie Matheny. I have not yet seen or heard any information on who will be our captains or assistant captains this season. We have three girls who transferred in, so they will be sitting out this season. We also have seven true freshmen on the roster and three true sophomores (I have already mentioned the redshirts and wanted to avoid confusion), so we will be a fairly young team. We have five true juniors on the roster as well. That rounds out the roster of 22 players, which I will just paste here if you want more detail.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ockey-mtt.html

We do have some talented kids, although they will be playing for their third different coach in three seasons. I totally admire the resiliency of the young ladies who have stuck with the program through all of this. I also understand why some would want to transfer out. These kids have to do what is best for them. I am looking forward to this season, as I do every season, and cannot wait to get started. I know I should talk about expectations, but expectations are tricky this season with a new coach and a new system. I was probably saying this last season, but I trust the new coaching staff and am going to enjoy the process. This year will be about laying a foundation. If we are able to win a bunch of games in the process, that will be great. I know the girls will work very hard for the new coaching staff. As is always the case with these threads I start, I want to welcome any RPI fans who would like to tell us about your team and what you expect this season.
                              I see Reeves came in from Union. Good pick up

Comment

Working...
                              X