SUNY - Cortland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
    You miss the point (seems you do that a lot here)....It's D....3....hockey....for girls. Nobody [other than a few like you] really cares. Why waste valuable resources...and US tax dollars to give special treatment to Canadians? Beyond stupid.
    LOL good come back. It affects men's too, but thanks.

Okay actually I will bite....did you have a daughter who didn't make a team and or was replaced by a foreign player? Living your dreams thru your kids? I'm not sure why you're so bitter. The US/State Governments waste a hell of a lot more than a few thousand to help kids go to school at a reasonable rate.

As far as D3 goes,several D3 hockey teams serve as great community leaders on and off the ice and are huge influences to the youth of their communities. Ask just about any of my 8U team and one of their favorite parts of the season is the college hockey camp and their interactions. The community service these college kids do is huge in some small towns. So no, it's not just a handful of people who care.

You do realize its not just Canadians, and or hockey players who benefit from this? Some schools believe in a diverse school(also gives them more Federal Aid to help our American students benefit from, but hey who cares right) and giving a financial break (lowering tuition to a closer rate of those American students) to those foreign students.

Lastly, this isn't just about D3 girls. The men's side has been dealing with this for years. Both public and private schools. It's more emphasized in hockey due to it being one of a few sports which is not American dominated. (Doesn't mean there are no good American players).

So in short, if you're upset your American dollars are going to help others get an education, or help create a hockey team in a community of which no one cares about, then maybe you should just join Kapernick and kneel the next time you hear the anthem too....
    Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 09-18-2016, 10:45 AM.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Re: SUNY - Cortland

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      LOL good come back. It affects men's too, but thanks.

Okay actually I will bite....did you have a daughter who didn't make a team and or was replaced by a foreign player? Living your dreams thru your kids? I'm not sure why you're so bitter. The US/State Governments waste a hell of a lot more than a few thousand to help kids go to school at a reasonable rate.

As far as D3 goes,several D3 hockey teams serve as great community leaders on and off the ice and are huge influences to the youth of their communities. Ask just about any of my 8U team and one of their favorite parts of the season is the college hockey camp and their interactions. The community service these college kids do is huge in some small towns. So no, it's not just a handful of people who care.

You do realize its not just Canadians, and or hockey players who benefit from this? Some schools believe in a diverse school(also gives them more Federal Aid to help our American students benefit from, but hey who cares right) and giving a financial break (lowering tuition to a closer rate of those American students) to those foreign students.

Lastly, this isn't just about D3 girls. The men's side has been dealing with this for years. Both public and private schools. It's more emphasized in hockey due to it being one of a few sports which is not American dominated. (Doesn't mean there are no good American players).

So in short, if you're upset your American dollars are going to help others get an education, or help create a hockey team in a community of which no one cares about, then maybe you should just join Kapernick and kneel the next time you hear the anthem too....

ok...so now ur totally clueless. my kids team [and no, unlike u I don't live through her]...has ZERO Canucks on the roster...and do just fine w/o them.

There is zero...and I mean ZERO reason to spend US tax dollars on helping Canadian women D3 hockey payers get preferential admissions and [good grief[ Financial aid to attend US colleges....U have to be a total idiot "hockey dad"...then again if you or your daughter attended that bastion of higher education...PlayypussState...well then...that says it all. Big time SAT's I'm sure. lol

Comment

"There is zero...and I mean ZERO reason to spend US tax dollars on helping Canadian women D3 hockey payers get preferential admissions"

Money doesn't help anyone get preferential admissions no matter what country they come from, so stop being so ridiculous. For the most part there are financial aid programs that help all international students, not just Canadian D3 women's hockey players. Take off your blinders so you can see the whole picture. You're missing out on a lot of it by being so zeroed in on just one type of student out of so many different types. Your NESCAC is showing you snob.

Comment

Please stop invoking Plattsburgh as if it's some sort of team made up entirely of Canadian players (not that there's anything wrong with Canadians). Yes, they recruit in Canada and have had prominent players from our neighbor to the north. But a lot of their best players are American. In this championship run, 3 of the top 5 scorers, including the current 1-2 punch duo of Sheeran and Meneghin, are American. 2 of the last three starting goalies were American, which includes Sydney Aveson who left Plattsburgh with most of the D3 women's goaltending records. Stop trying to use geography as an excuse for why they are the top program in the division right now.
          Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-19-2016, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            Please stop invoking Plattsburgh as if it's some sort of team made up entirely of Canadian players (not that there's anything wrong with Canadians). Yes, they recruit in Canada and have had prominent players from our neighbor to the north. But a lot of their best players are American. In this championship run, 3 of the top 5 scorers, including the current 1-2 punch duo of Sheeran and Meneghin, are American. 2 of the last three starting goalies were American, which includes Sydney Aveson who left Plattsburgh with most of the D3 women's goaltending records. Stop trying to use geography as an excuse for why they are the top program in the division right now.
            Since the 2001-2002 season 60% of Plattsburgh's Top 5 scorers have been Canadian. Where would Plattsburgh have been without Balisy, Stewart, Gove and even farther back with Blanchard, Gibson, Clarke, and Taylor who started the winning tradition at Plattsburgh? I can guarantee you they wouldn't have as much (if any) hardware. Those "said" players probably would have gone elsewhere to another school offering a lower admission cost. Yes they do have some great American players, and need those great American players to be at the level they are, but it's also imperative to have the DEPTH of great players (both American and Canadian) to compete on the level they want to compete at. Your average D-III team is not going to be a power recruiting strictly from the American born pool. By allowing your candidate of potential players to expand, your ability to find grade A players (maybe not All American's but great role players) is much higher. An average team with 1 great player can put up good numbers, but normally does not become a Champion. An average team with depth and a great player wins championships. Yes a good coaching staff, unrelenting recruiting, and a strong winning tradition does help bring in those high caliber players. If there is a forward named Suzie from Laval Quebec wanting to come to your school, but your admission costs is twice as much as your American players are paying and you offer no help, why would she come if she can't afford it? Same thing for Tara and Nicole. Now you have to go out and replace Suzie, Tara and Nicole with a downgrade in talent Jennifer, Sam, and Michelle. You finish 6th in your league, again. Players like Sheeran and Meneghan wouldn't have come to Plattsburgh if they weren't a winning school.

I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Bob Emery is one of if not the best DIII hockey coaches of all time. When his hands were tied in recruiting (the loss of FA) over a 3 year period, his teams suffered clear as day. (3 of the bottom 6 winning % of all time in PSU history). We've seen the SAME exact stuff happen in both Men's and Women's hockey at the DIII level. (yes even some mighty NESCAC'ian schools have been affected). No not ALL schools need to rely on foreign players, all be it great Academic schools (most NESCAC), Boston rich schools, or Mid-West schools who can pull from local great Wisc, Minn, Mich players. Cortland, does not fit into those. Since Plattsburgh has had their FA packages reduced, but not gone, they've reached out to different parts of the US as well. Illinois, California, Florida, New Jersey. But the few and far between "stars" are normally picked up by DI teams or Top DIII teams so teams who are NOT a perennial power struggle to bring in recruits. On the men's side, the US Junior programs have grown tremendously over the past 20 years. It wasn't even close 20 years ago from the OPJHL and teams like the Apple Core or NJ Hitman. Plattsburgh lost of a lot of quality players to rival teams because they couldn't afford the bill and or the other school was offering a much lower admission cost. I can GUARANTEE Cortland has lost players as well because of it.
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              "There is zero...and I mean ZERO reason to spend US tax dollars on helping Canadian women D3 hockey payers get preferential admissions"

Money doesn't help anyone get preferential admissions no matter what country they come from, so stop being so ridiculous. For the most part there are financial aid programs that help all international students, not just Canadian D3 women's hockey players. Take off your blinders so you can see the whole picture. You're missing out on a lot of it by being so zeroed in on just one type of student out of so many different types. Your NESCAC is showing you snob.
              another one who is a few nuts short of a fruitcake.

Comment

Cortland announced Rick Filighera as the new HC

http://d3hockey.com/releases/women/2016-17/160926-filighera-hired-as-cortland-womens-coach

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                  Cortland announced Rick Filighera as the new HC

http://d3hockey.com/releases/women/2016-17/160926-filighera-hired-as-cortland-womens-coach
                  Last place for Cortland this year. Wow, they couldn't find someone with more recent college coaching experience? He's been out of it for over 10 years and when he was in the college coaching game it was when many programs were new and the quality of players was nowhere near as good as now. I feel bad for the players there that an old relic like this was hired. This is a step backwards from the previous coach which isn't saying much and proof once again that Cortland just doesn't care about hockey.
                  Last edited by shelfit; 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

This is a step backwards from the previous coach which isn't saying much and proof once again that Cortland just doesn't care about hockey.[/QUOTE]

So what? Perhaps they have other areas to focus on...like academics? Beyond your basement, nobody cares.

Comment

The frustration is that Cortland clearly can walk and chew gum when it comes to other sports.
                      If they're not really committed to hockey then maybe they need to review why they spend the time, effort and $$$'s to be a bottom third club. Putting a competitive program in place doesn't preclude having solid academics.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                        This is a step backwards from the previous coach which isn't saying much and proof once again that Cortland just doesn't care about hockey.
                        So what? Perhaps they have other areas to focus on...like academics? Beyond your basement, nobody cares.[/QUOTE]

Clearly! Nobody cares especially at Cortland. Thanks for re-emphasizing my point.

Comment

Working...
                        X