Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

So, if you want to leave the page and go to the original source: http://www.concordy.com/sports/2016/...-hockey-coach/
    If you'd rather just read the article from the Union student paper, and read the AD's defensive response, here it is:
    Gazette chides college for hockey coach
    By Rachel Clarey - Sports Editor
    CONCORDIA The Student Newspaper of Union College Mar 3, 2016
    On Feb. 23, the Daily Gazette published a column entitled “Union College: Act like women’s hockey matters.” The piece condemned Union for its decision to keep Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Claudia Asano Barcomb on staff despite her consistently abysmal record and stated that the school is treating men’s and women’s hockey unequally.
    The piece was written by Mark McGuire, executive sports editor at the Daily Gazette, who argues in the column that the college’s decision to not fire Asano Barcomb “leaves the impression the administration cares about men’s sports and doesn’t about women’s,” and suggests that Union, “leaves itself open to prima facie charges that it views women’s sports in a lesser light than men’s.”
    Athletic Director Jim McLaughlin said of McGuire’s column, “I thought it was incredibly mean spirited. There were obvious facts in there, but the tenor and delivery of the article were mean spirited.” The facts McLaughlin referred to included statistics concerning the women’s ice hockey team’s record over the past nine years under Asano Barcomb’s leadership.
    The Dutchwomen finished the 2015-16 season with an overall record of 0-28-6, the program’s first winless season since its elevation to Division I in 2003. Additionally, throughout her nine-year tenure with the Dutchwomen Asano Barcomb holds an abysmal overall record of 36-236-32.
    This type of result is a common denominator between women’s ice hockey coaches at Union since the team was elevated to Division I. Fred Quistgard, Union’s women’s ice hockey coach during the team’s 2003-2004 inaugural season in Division I, went 4-29-1 that season before resigning to pursue other career interests. And Tim Gerrish, the team’s coach for three seasons from 2004 until 2007, held an overall record of 12-77-2. [ Note added: Qiistgard’s team was primarily D-3 players; Gerrish’s teams were transitioning from D-3 to D-1 by recruiting each year; his final year I believe he still had seniors from the D-3 years.]
    According to McLaughlin, “When the women’s ice hockey team was elevated to Division I during the 2003-2004 season, they were thrust into the ECAC, college hockey’s most competitive league in the country. We are really proud to be members of ECAC Hockey because all of the league’s members sponsor both men’s and women’s teams.”
    McLaughlin said that, additionally, “There are a lot of other reasons the team is struggling. For example, the pool of women’s hockey players is a lot smaller than the men’s pool. If you look at USA Hockey’s most recent figures, there are about 110,000 high school aged men and only about 13,000 high school aged women playing hockey.”
    He noted that the fact that Union does not offer athletic scholarships puts the college at a disadvantage when recruiting for the women’s hockey team. He said, “Teams like Minnesota, Boston University and Boston College are scholarship schools so they are able to recruit the best players. However, on the men’s side, after the top schools finish recruiting there is still a significant pool of athletes left over, while on the women’s side the pool is substantially smaller. Also since Union is a non-scholarship school, playing here comes with a real commitment from families.”
    McLaughlin also referenced the team’s incremental progress over Asano Barcomb’s term. “Over Claudia’s first several years, I was very pleased with the team’s progress. [really?!] The culture was changing,” said McLaughlin, “At the end of the 2012-2013 season the team had acquired seven wins, the most in program history at that time. The next year, the team secured nine wins. Of course, Claudia and I are both disappointed with the team’s performance this year and we want to see better results for the women, but there have been some unforeseen difficulties this season, including some injuries to individuals the team was counting on to score.”
    “The men struggled early as well,” added McLaughlin. The men’s ice hockey team was elevated to Division 1 in the 1991-1992 season. In their inaugural season, the team’s overall record was 3-21-1 and over the next nine years, the team lost more games than it won in every season except two — the 1993-1994 season and the 1996-1997 season.
    And, in their first nine years playing as a Division I squad, the Dutchmen had only three separate coaches, similar to the Dutchwomen’s current situation. Only in the past six years has the men’s ice hockey team enjoyed resounding success, including three Cleary Cups and an NCAA National Championship.
    So, it took the men’s ice hockey team nearly 20 years to develop into the national powerhouse it is today. Comparing the men’s and women’s programs, as McGuire does in his column, is difficult simply due to the difference in time each team has been around for, and therefore, the time each team has had to develop to its full potential.
    In his column, McGuire also makes a comparison between the women’s ice hockey program and the men’s football program, referencing the fact that longtime Men’s Football Coach John Audino unexpectedly retired at the beginning of this year after a string of losing seasons. Audino had been head coach of the men’s football team for 24 years, and the football team played its first game on Nov. 11, 1886.
    In contrast, Asano Barcomb just completed her ninth season as head coach — only the third coach in the women’s ice hockey team’s 13-year existence as a Division I squad — making comparison between the football and women’s hockey teams difficult as well.
    McGuire’s statement that the issue may open the college up to “charges that it views women’s sports in a lesser light than men’s” — potentially implying a Title IX violation — also proves difficult to substantiate. According to the NCAA, Title IX requires equal provision of coaching between men’s and women’s teams. The criteria used to evaluate equitable provision of coaching are the coaches’ availability and assignment.
    Unequal availability would be demonstrated by a team from one gender being forced to rely more on part-time and assistant coaches while the opposite gendered team had a full-time staff, and unequal assignment would be demonstrated by one gender having an inexperienced coach while the opposite gender had a very experienced coach.
    Regarding these criteria, both the men’s and women’s hockey programs at Union have four coaches, one head coach, one associate head coach, one assistant coach and one volunteer assistant coach, and all of these coaches hold formidable qualifications and experience for their respective roles.
    Barcomb was an assistant coach at Harvard University for five years before Union hired her as the women’s hockey head coach, and she served a four-year term as a member of the NCAA Rules Committee. Men’s Ice Hockey Head Coach Rick Bennett was an assistant coach for the men’s hockey team at Union for six years before being named head coach, and he served as an assistant coach at Providence for five years before that. [Is this meant to suggest that Bennett had equivalent skills & experience?]
    McLaughlin went on to state, “When we evaluate our programs, there is a lot more we look at than just wins and losses. We look at progress, and sometimes that progress is very incremental. We also look at the team’s academic and personal accomplishments. These student-athletes are here to get a world-class education. We are looking for student-athletes who work hard and excel in the classroom, on the field and in the community.” [ So Barcomb is doin’ just fine, Jim?]
    “I was beyond disappointed in several of McGuire’s comments. Two lines in particular included when he said, ‘If you couldn’t care less about Union women’s hockey — and there’s a good chance you don’t,’ and when he suggested that Union had no concern for women’s athletics. Those were just mean-spirited. We value the accomplishments of all of our student-athletes at Union, men and women, and we are especially proud of the accomplishments of our women’s teams, including the recent success of volleyball, basketball, lacrosse and individuals in track and swimming,” [notice which women’s team is missing?] added McLaughlin, “It’s very easy to evaluate the situation from the outside.”

Comment

It's so easy to criticize behind a computer screen night after night. You have always had an extreme hatred for the Coach and the program. As alums, we always laughed at whoever this "Flarrow" goon is. But enough is enough. Lets take a step back here- This forum was created for fans to get together and be able to talk about the Union College Dutchwomen 2015-2016. Not to bash the program, the AD, the coach, whoever else you feel like that day. If you'd like to do that, please go do it on another page- maybe the "Coaches in danger". But think - Would you really say all these things to coach's face? Would you want your D reading all of this about you? Post by post you're loosing so much respect in the Union community.

Moving forward, Messa is getting a major renovation with some emphasis on the facilities for the women's team. That will help with recruits. Big schools are recruiting earlier and earlier now hitting commitments when kids are in 9th and 10th grade. This is great for Union and this landscape has only just started to happen so they're only going to just start seeing the effects of it. There are many late bloomers that will be much easier for Union to compete to get with the big schools already having their recruiting classes filled. These blue chip players are the style of player Union needs, this is a very similar style of recruiting as to what the men's team has done.

There's a natural goal scorer coming in next year that will help the team. This year's senior class although small, has some good leadership. Along with a solid goalie, this should help the team if they can play to one drum. Here's the 2016-2017!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Are you kidding me?! If any parents of potential recruits read that article they might be more inclined to tell their daughters to commit to Union knowing that she's only got one more year on her contract. She's definitely gone after next year. There's no question about that which means there will be a new coach the season after next so they'd have three years under a fresh new approach and attitude. That's something to get excited about. Plus the new coach would not be able to clear house in those three years so you'd be guaranteed to play for four years.
        No I'm not kidding. Just ask the Brown recruits how they feel about continuing their losing ways. Bourbeau leaves and they can't find an established women's coach to replace her choosing instead someone from their administration. Doesn't look like they have a 'fresh new approach and attitude'. Seems like more of the same. Look, I'm not advocating that Asano-Barcomb be retained. I'm interpreting the AD's remarks as 'she's gone after her contract is up'. My argument is that if I'm a potential recruit, I'm looking for a situation that has some stability and upward momentum. Neither exists within the Union program at the moment.

Comment

In reality, does anyone think that there's a coach out there who can come in and make this program a national contender? Are we saying we want Union to be at that level, or just not in the basement? There are clearly challenges - the biggest one being lack of scholarship. How would you convince a Potomak-type player to come play for you, pay whatever the cost, when she can go somewhere else for free (and win)? I'm not saying Barcomb is the answer, but what are the alternatives for the next person to come in and be successful? The past few years, I have watched Union go after top D3 level kids and, unfortunately, that is probably who would be most attracted to playing there - kids who can say they played D1 because they aren't scholarship worthy at other schools and MAYBE can't get into an Ivy school. So maybe they don't care as much about winning as the kids who attend the better hockey schools? I don't know. While we can vilify Barcomb for her losing record, let's really get to the meat and potatoes of the situation and ask ourselves - can Union ever be successful at D1? And by success, I'll say finish about .500 on a regular basis. Can you take a Brad Frost, move him to Union, and have him get the same quality players?

Comment

• Originally posted by pucko View Post
            In reality, does anyone think that there's a coach out there who can come in and make this program a national contender? Are we saying we want Union to be at that level, or just not in the basement? There are clearly challenges - the biggest one being lack of scholarship. How would you convince a Potomak-type player to come play for you, pay whatever the cost, when she can go somewhere else for free (and win)? I'm not saying Barcomb is the answer, but what are the alternatives for the next person to come in and be successful? The past few years, I have watched Union go after top D3 level kids and, unfortunately, that is probably who would be most attracted to playing there - kids who can say they played D1 because they aren't scholarship worthy at other schools and MAYBE can't get into an Ivy school. So maybe they don't care as much about winning as the kids who attend the better hockey schools? I don't know. While we can vilify Barcomb for her losing record, let's really get to the meat and potatoes of the situation and ask ourselves - can Union ever be successful at D1? And by success, I'll say finish about .500 on a regular basis. Can you take a Brad Frost, move him to Union, and have him get the same quality players?
            You're repeating what many of us have already said before. Union will not be a competitive team in D1 no matter who the coach is even if it's Brad Frost, they have higher end D3 players, and the school/athletics department needs to decide if they care about this program. Was the previous coach fired or did he leave on his own? They don't have a choice but to fire her after next season otherwise they'll lose the program because if they sign her to a new contract that will really send the message that they don't care about the program and even the higher end D3 recruits will stop coming. Why go to Union to be on a D3 level team when you can go to a NESCAC school and actually compete for something like a playoff spot, a conference title, and a spot in the NCAA tournament?!
            Last edited by shelfit; 03-22-2016, 10:00 AM.

Comment

College-Women | NY Hockey Online - Part 6

nyhockeyonline.com/category/college/college-women/page/6/
              Aug 20, 2014 - ... was made today by head coach Claudia Asano Barcomb. ... hockey team, signed a four-year contract extension through the 2017-18 season, ...

Sorry folks, it looks like two more years on her contract!

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeydad09 View Post
                College-Women | NY Hockey Online - Part 6

nyhockeyonline.com/category/college/college-women/page/6/
                Aug 20, 2014 - ... was made today by head coach Claudia Asano Barcomb. ... hockey team, signed a four-year contract extension through the 2017-18 season, ...

Sorry folks, it looks like two more years on her contract!
                It's the Union AD that should be apologizing. I still say next season will be her last. Another abysmal year isn't going to give the AD any choice. The biggest thing is she should be stepping down on her own right now out of respect to the sport, her players, and the program at Union in general. Is she not smart enough to know by now that she just isn't capable of getting this team to any sort of respectable level of competitiveness?! Her years there have already proven this fact. All she's doing is collecting a paycheck that she honestly no longer deserves and she knows it and that's just wrong. Shame on her for simply lingering on there with no hope of improving the team. It's a very sad situation for everyone.

Comment

It's the Union AD that should be apologizing. I still say next season will be her last. Another abysmal year isn't going to give the AD any choice. The biggest thing is she should be stepping down on her own right now out of respect to the sport, her players, and the program at Union in general. Is she not smart enough to know by now that she just isn't capable of getting this team to any sort of respectable level of competitiveness?! Her years there have already proven this fact. All she's doing is collecting a paycheck that she honestly no longer deserves and she knows it and that's just wrong. Shame on her for simply lingering on there with no hope of improving the team. It's a very sad situation for everyone.
                  Agree. But if Union is willing to keep and pay her (and I have no idea how much), she probably is reluctant to step down on her own. That would be a tacit admission of failure on her part and no coach likes to admit s\he can't run their own ship.

Probably the only way to get her to leave of her own volition would be for the players to openly boycott trying out for the team. McLaughlin would have no choice at that point but to have that 'mutual' termination conversation with her. Other than that, she stays no matter what the record.

Comment

shelfit, you said this earlier in the thread: You're repeating what many of us have already said before. Union will not be a competitive team in D1 no matter who the coach is even if it's Brad Frost, they have higher end D3 players, and the school/athletics department needs to decide if they care about this program. Was the previous coach fired or did he leave on his own? They don't have a choice but to fire her after next season otherwise they'll lose the program because if they sign her to a new contract that will really send the message that they don't care about the program and even the higher end D3 recruits will stop coming. Why go to Union to be on a D3 level team when you can go to a NESCAC school and actually compete for something like a playoff spot, a conference title, and a spot in the NCAA tournament?!

What is the level of 'respectable competitiveness' then? .500? Make playoffs? You said yourself that they won't be a competitive D1 team, yet you're basically demanding that Barcomb step down. You can't have it both ways. You can't say that she's a terrible coach because they lose and then turn around and say that no one can make that program competitive at D1, not even Brad Frost.

Comment

• Pretty sure I can say whatever I want, just the same as everyone else. Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Comment

pucko and any others who feel Union can never have a competitive D1 women's hockey team should look at the history of sports and programs that not only became competitive but champions. The following points are what I feel are necessary for the Union women's hockey team to be competitive.

1. The coach must be an excellent teacher who can develop the skills and systems necessary for her team to improve every game. This will require patience (but not a decade!) as this is not an overnight thing. Development should take priority over short term winning. Play all your hard working players while teaching them during the game. What better time to teach situational awareness? This may mean the coach will miss parts of the game while working with players who just came off the ice.
                        2. The coach must be an excellent recruiter who will search to find the best available players. Since Union doesn't have the advantages of the "top" schools it will require searching with potential as a key consideration. They need to find players with a strong work ethic, athletic ability, and desire to win who may be newer to the sport or might have had weaker coaching. They can find these players by questioning high school and prep school coaches to find these players. Furthermore they should also scout potential players at boys games where there is a girl playing on the team. Why anyone would overlook these players is beyond me. They can then develop these players.
                        Last edited by ushockey; 03-31-2016, 10:12 AM.
                        "It's a great day for hockey." Badger Bob Johnson

Comment

3. The administration must expect the team to be successful and provide the recruiting funds and other support necessary.

Union's men's team has a very competitive reputation and it is a shame that the AD is saying that the women's teams losing is OK by his giving the coach another extension. This sexist inaction is an embarrassment to the players, students, faculty, community, and administration.
                          Last edited by ushockey; 03-31-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ushockey View Post
                            pucko and any others who feel Union can never have a competitive D1 women's hockey team should look at the history of sports and programs that not only became competitive but champions. The following points are what I feel are necessary for the Union women's hockey team to be competitive.

1. The coach must be an excellent teacher who can develop the skills and systems necessary for her team to improve every game. This will require patience (but not a decade!) as this is not an overnight thing. Development should take priority over short term winning. Play all your hard working players while teaching them during the game. What better time to teach situational awareness? This may mean the coach will miss parts of the game while working with players who just came off the ice.
                            2. The coach must be an excellent recruiter who will search to find the best available players. Since Union doesn't have the advantages of the "top" schools it will require searching with potential as a key consideration. They need to find players with a strong work ethic, athletic ability, and desire to win who may be newer to the sport or might have had weaker coaching. They can find these players by questioning high school and prep school coaches to find these players. Furthermore they should also scout potential players at boys games where there is a girl playing on the team. Why anyone would overlook these players is beyond me. They can then develop these players.
                            A couple of observations in response to your post:

1. Regarding your first point. Coaches don't really 'teach' in game unless you are referring to in game adjustments such as altering lines or D pairings to match up better with the other team. Most of the teaching and game prep takes place during the week at practice. I asked the Harvard players about this prior to last season and they confirmed that even between periods, the coaches don't use video to point out mistakes. They have a list of about 3 or 4 things they want the team to focus on and then they turn them loose.

2. Regarding your second point, I would add academic ability to your list of qualities. Union is academically stringent in its requirements and therefore, the pool of players who can be admitted is far less than Minnesota, Wisconsin or BC. Add to that, they have to go up against the Ivies inside the ECAC. I agree that no stone should be left unturned to find better players but you won't find them necessarily on teams with weak coaching or that they are new to the game. That won't help Union become a stronger program. You have to look overseas, in non-traditional high school girls programs in the US, developmental camps and post secondary prep schools where a rising star could get more ice time at Union than at BC or Harvard.

Comment

Skate79, Thank you for your observations.

1. While it is certainly true that some coaches don't teach during a game it is also true that some of the best do. I have never regarded Harvard's Stone as a great coach so I certainly wouldn't rely on her players to tell me what a coach should or shouldn't do. Additionally Stone always has first choice from most available recruits so she may not need to do as much coaching as many other coaches with weaker and especially newer players who haven't received as much good coaching.

2. Academically qualified students are just as likely to be found on teams with weak coaching or among newer players as not so this does not disqualify any of the ways I suggested could be used to improve your talent pool. Your idea of recruiting over seas is certainly worth considering but I'm afraid may require a large recruiting budget in most cases. Yet if you could combine a recruiting trip with an overseas trip for some other reason it may be be done quite economically. Prep schools and developmental camps are worth looking at but I think these areas are already heavily recruited. Furthermore as you and many others have pointed out Union will not be as competitive recruiting as the Ivies or scholarship schools so they should be open to seldom used or unused places.
                              Last edited by ushockey; 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                                Coaches don't really 'teach' in game unless you are referring to in game adjustments such as altering lines or D pairings to match up better with the other team.
                                I see coaches doing this all of the time. Players come off after a shift, maybe even a shift where their line scored, and the coaches point out where the puck should be moved or the spot to which the player should skate in a certain situation. It might just be a conversation with the head coach or an assistant about what the player's thought process was for a particular decision. I've seen a lot of staffs do a lot of coaching within the game.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X