Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    How long would that last? The better players would immediately transfer out and no others would come.

Agreed.
    D-III hockey is not as bad as you think. There is a greater disparity in talent from top to bottom depending on the resources one devotes to the program. The barns are not as nice as D-I, but it's a lot more fun.

Watch a home game from Oswego State on WTOP-10. You'd never know it was a D-III program. Yet if you watched a Clarkson broadcast on WCKN, the best I could describe it as "amateurish".

Don't sell D-III hockey short. If our alma maters were booted from D1, I'd still watch. Green and Gold will always flow in my veins (does that make me a Vulcan?)
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

Originally posted by Call It View Post
      Ok fire the coach then what? I predict that even if Frost or MJ took over this program that the results would be the same, no playoffs. Who would be the next coach to turn a non ivy, non scholarship school with a ****ty rink in a crappy town around? WHO?

Let's look at the bigger picture. There are to many teams for the amount of talent out there. The U18 National Team players go to a small % of schools and the rest or left to fend for themselves. Lots of comparisons to the Men's side but it's not a great comp. Look at the # of boys playing hockey compared to the # of NCAA teams compared to the girls.

Why aren't people calling for the Yale's coach head like Claudia's? Yale sucks and it's Yale!!! Brown will also be same for years to come.
      I agree - Frost and MJ would be poor fits for Union - wouldn't have the slightest idea how to recruit in an environment where HS players aren't pounding on their door every day. But there are coaches out there who can be successful. Union was horrible on the men's side for many years until they found the right guy for the situation and worked the admission policy (actually, a couple of guys). I'm not suggesting that they can win national championships, but they can be competitive on the women's side.

If you go to the Coaches at Risk thread you will see that Yale was added to the list. Brown just changed coaches after many years of a disinterested Murphy and 4 years of an overwhelmed Bourbeau. You're right, it will take a while for Brown to get out of its trough and I don't know if the current coach can pull it off, but it can be done there and at Yale and at Union...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        I agree - Frost and MJ would be poor fits for Union - wouldn't have the slightest idea how to recruit in an environment where HS players aren't pounding on their door every day. But there are coaches out there who can be successful. Union was horrible on the men's side for many years until they found the right guy for the situation and worked the admission policy (actually, a couple of guys). I'm not suggesting that they can win national championships, but they can be competitive on the women's side.

If you go to the Coaches at Risk thread you will see that Yale was added to the list. Brown just changed coaches after many years of a disinterested Murphy and 4 years of an overwhelmed Bourbeau. You're right, it will take a while for Brown to get out of its trough and I don't know if the current coach can pull it off, but it can be done there and at Yale and at Union...
        I think Frost also uses a windowless van with free skates hand painted on the side, broadcasting subliminal messages, to get HS players that don't come pounding on his door.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeydad09 View Post
          Well, obviously the women's coach doesn't get fired either with this record. Barcomb is laughing all the way to the bank.
          It is a sad sad situation for the players. Nothing like playing for the worst coach in history. I honestly can't imagine how the AD sleeps at night!
          Again, the players knew this coming in. They should have been well aware of the record and lack of success at Union. They "signed" up for this, and now have a Bauer warm up suit from a "DI" school.
          Maybe they have a degree in the end...

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
            Again, the players knew this coming in. They should have been well aware of the record and lack of success at Union. They "signed" up for this, and now have a Bauer warm up suit from a "DI" school.
            Maybe they have a degree in the end...
            Maybe they signed up because no one else wanted them? You don't go 0 for the season if you are on the radar screens of Wisconsin, Minnesota or BC as recruits.

What Union needs more than anything is to get a class that has three or four blue chip superstars. I'm talking Ruggiero, Carpenter, or Poulin. These players attract other good players and set the tone attitude wise that winning is all that matters. The Yale men did this with Arcobello and his classmates and that eventually led to a national championship. Same with the Union men and Gostisbehere. Players like that don't come around often and in women's hockey, much less so. The last real superstar that Harvard recruited was Sarah Vaillancourt. Getting players like that on a regular basis is a pipe dream for us. As it is for the other Ivies. You can see what's happening at Dartmouth; they are trending down and it may cost Hudak his job. The combination of strict academic standards, no athletic scholarships and high tuition makes it challenging to recruit and field winning teams year in and year out. Not making excuses for Asano-Barcomb but that is the reality for some D-1 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              Maybe they signed up because no one else wanted them? You don't go 0 for the season if you are on the radar screens of Wisconsin, Minnesota or BC as recruits.

What Union needs more than anything is to get a class that has three or four blue chip superstars. I'm talking Ruggiero, Carpenter, or Poulin. These players attract other good players and set the tone attitude wise that winning is all that matters. The Yale men did this with Arcobello and his classmates and that eventually led to a national championship. Same with the Union men and Gostisbehere. Players like that don't come around often and in women's hockey, much less so. The last real superstar that Harvard recruited was Sarah Vaillancourt. Getting players like that on a regular basis is a pipe dream for us. As it is for the other Ivies. You can see what's happening at Dartmouth; they are trending down and it may cost Hudak his job. The combination of strict academic standards, no athletic scholarships and high tuition makes it challenging to recruit and field winning teams year in and year out. Not making excuses for Asano-Barcomb but that is the reality for some D-1 schools.
              I have said much the same thing in the past. With no offense to any players past or present, this has been and still is a team consisting mostly of players that would have done well on D3 teams like Amherst, Middlebury, Norwich, Elmira, and Plattsburgh. Call them low end D1 players if you like but basically the same thing. These players have the opportunity to play D1 hockey and get a great education. Not a bad thing but the reality is they aren't too different from a team like Sacred Heart from a competitive point of view. Sacred Heart is a D1 team in official designation only and get beaten routinely by D3 teams. Union isn't too different except I think they'd be much more successful against D3 opponents than Sacred Heart but you get the point. You could say Brown is in the same boat right now too. To repeat myself from a previous post, I agree with so many others that Asano-Barcomb is unimpressive at best as a head coach but she's also in a very difficult recruiting situation because of Union's unique challenges to compete for high end prospects. She has to have enough players to field a proper team each year so she ultimately has to settle for lower end players that actually want to go to Union. Not an easy situation at all. That being said, her bench coaching abilities leave a lot to be desired from what I've seen. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to see what her practices are like but I'm guessing they're not great since she's not getting her team to get the job done during games.

P.S. Hudak has already resigned from his position at Dartmouth.
              Last edited by shelfit; 02-24-2016, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                I have said much the same thing in the past. With no offense to any players past or present, this has been and still is a team consisting mostly of players that would have done well on D3 teams like Amherst, Middlebury, Norwich, Elmira, and Plattsburgh. Call them low end D1 players if you like but basically the same thing. These players have the opportunity to play D1 hockey and get a great education. Not a bad thing but the reality is they aren't too different from a team like Sacred Heart from a competitive point of view. Sacred Heart is a D1 team in official designation only and get beaten routinely by D3 teams. Union isn't too different except I think they'd be much more successful against D3 opponents than Sacred Heart but you get the point. You could say Brown is in the same boat right now too. To repeat myself from a previous post, I agree with so many others that Asano-Barcomb is unimpressive at best as a head coach but she's also in a very difficult recruiting situation because of Union's unique challenges to compete for high end prospects. She has to have enough players to field a proper team each year so she ultimately has to settle for lower end players that actually want to go to Union. Not an easy situation at all. That being said, her bench coaching abilities leave a lot to be desired from what I've seen. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to see what her practices are like but I'm guessing they're not great since she's not getting her team to get the job done during games.

P.S. Hudak has already resigned from his position at Dartmouth.
                C'mon folks let's say something new here or move along!

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                  C'mon folks let's say something new here or move along!
                  Because what you just posted was soooooo original and insightful and added immensely to the conversation.
                  Last edited by shelfit; 02-25-2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    Because what you just posted was soooooo original and insightful and added immensely to the conversation.
                    Thanks! That's the way I saw it as well.

Comment

Thanks! That's the way I saw it as well.
                      Your candelabra has all but burnt out.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        I think Frost also uses a windowless van with free skates hand painted on the side, broadcasting subliminal messages, to get HS players that don't come pounding on his door.
                        I thought that was Frost driving that van around my house last summer, I told my wife not to call the cops but

Comment

So...to move this along. Who might be a good post-Barcomb coach to do some rebuilding at Union?
                          I'll throw two NY Thuway names out to get it going; who knows if they'd be interested or available..
                          Gary Heenan (Utica) ....Jeff Halpern (Syracuse Crunch)

Comment

Originally posted by Flarrow View Post
                            So...to move this along. Who might be a good post-Barcomb coach to do some rebuilding at Union?
                            I'll throw two NY Thuway names out to get it going; who knows if they'd be interested or available..
                            If you are looking for someone who can turn around a team in one year: former Syracuse Asst Coach, Graham Thomas: http://www.canadawest.org/sports/wic...306133851.html. Probably not available, but I know from personal experience that he is something special when it comes to developing skills and spirit in women's hockey players.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarrow View Post
                              Heenan already had the Men's job here and lost it in 3 days!

Comment

If you are looking for someone who can turn around a team in one year: former Syracuse Asst Coach, Graham Thomas: http://www.canadawest.org/sports/wic...306133851.html. Probably not available, but I know from personal experience that he is something special when it comes to developing skills and spirit in women's hockey players.
                                I don't see him leaving his current post. Your last line is laughable at best. Do you have any idea what lead to his departure from Syracuse?! There are certain lines you can't cross with your players. Special is not the operative word in his case.

Comment

Working...
                                X