Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    If Union loses today, I think they will be the first women's D-1 program to finish 0 for the season. I'm pretty sure that Jeff Kampersal, Princeton's coach, will remind his team of the potential embarrassment of losing this game. While i have defended Claudia Asano-Barcomb in the past, I'm reversing course and recommending that the powers that be at Union, if they care about being a competitive D-1 program, remove her as head coach and find someone else. That is if they care. Perhaps a move to D-3 is a better way to go. Either way, something has to be done because it's clear they aren't making progress.
    I've been saying for a while now that a move to D3 is the best plan to follow for this program's future best interests. At the same time they also need to let her go after this season. There's really no choice at this point in time. At least at D3 they would be able to beat 0-17-0 Daniel Webster College, a first year program with something like 8 players on the team right now.

Comment

If Union loses today, I think they will be the first women's D-1 program to finish 0 for the season. I'm pretty sure that Jeff Kampersal, Princeton's coach, will remind his team of the potential embarrassment of losing this game. While i have defended Claudia Asano-Barcomb in the past, I'm reversing course and recommending that the powers that be at Union, if they care about being a competitive D-1 program, remove her as head coach and find someone else. That is if they care. Perhaps a move to D-3 is a better way to go. Either way, something has to be done because it's clear they aren't making progress.
      Have you noticed their previous D3 record? What would they move up to D1?

Comment

Re: Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Have you noticed their previous D3 record? What would they move up to D1?
        Huh?

Comment

Union lost 4-2 at Princeton and finishes the season 0-28-6... first D1 women's hockey team to finish with zero wins.

Union will enter next season on a record 51 game winless streak; last win was 12/12/14 vs Maine.

Comment

Huh?
            The D3 history was not exactly stellar.

If they pull women's hockey from D1 what sport will be moved up to replace it? ie Title IX implications

Comment

The D3 history was not exactly stellar.

If they pull women's hockey from D1 what sport will be moved up to replace it? ie Title IX implications
              Okay, I get it. But D3 has to be a better situation in terms of wins and losses than what they are currently facing in the ECAC. Not sure what Title IX has to do with it. If they offer women's hockey, what difference does it make if it is D1 or D3? They simply need to offer the women a chance to play NCAA hockey, regardless of the division.

Comment

Okay, I get it. But D3 has to be a better situation in terms of wins and losses than what they are currently facing in the ECAC. Not sure what Title IX has to do with it. If they offer women's hockey, what difference does it make if it is D1 or D3? They simply need to offer the women a chance to play NCAA hockey, regardless of the division.
                Curious as I don't know the history but why did they move to D1?

Comment

I'm not affiliated with the school so I can't give you a definitive answer.

Comment

The Union men's team has been a D1 team for about 25 years and I think that the movement towards gender equality in collegiate athletics really created an obligation to either drop the men's team down to D3 or move one of the women's sports up to D1. Union, to its credit, has always held to its principles of being against athletic scholarships, so when the women's team was elevated to D1 everyone in the college hockey world knew that it was going to be a struggle to compete with scholarship schools and with the Ivy schools, which have their own particular advantages. The amazing thing to me is not that the Union women's team has struggled, but that the men's team has enjoyed a few years of great success, despite the same disadvantages. That, IMO, can be attributed primarily to the influence of one incredible coach and recruiter, Nate Leaman, who built the men's team into a powerhouse before leaving to repeat that at Providence. It would take an equally heroic feat to lift the women's team off the floor, and I don't think that any of us see that on the horizon. A bit of background here: http://www.uscho.com/2004/01/12/scho...ay-up-schools/

Comment

She needs to step up and do the right thing for that program and offer her resignation. There's really no way she should come back next season even if they drop back to D3 which most likely isn't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                        The Union men's team has been a D1 team for about 25 years and I think that the movement towards gender equality in collegiate athletics really created an obligation to either drop the men's team down to D3 or move one of the women's sports up to D1. Union, to its credit, has always held to its principles of being against athletic scholarships, so when the women's team was elevated to D1 everyone in the college hockey world knew that it was going to be a struggle to compete with scholarship schools and with the Ivy schools, which have their own particular advantages. The amazing thing to me is not that the Union women's team has struggled, but that the men's team has enjoyed a few years of great success, despite the same disadvantages. That, IMO, can be attributed primarily to the influence of one incredible coach and recruiter, Nate Leaman, who built the men's team into a powerhouse before leaving to repeat that at Providence. It would take an equally heroic feat to lift the women's team off the floor, and I don't think that any of us see that on the horizon. A bit of background here: http://www.uscho.com/2004/01/12/scho...ay-up-schools/
                        Thanks for the info. I can imagine all the background talk and work on that one.

In previous reference to Title IX, it's not all about equal scholarships even in this case where there are none. It's about equal opportunity and for example if the young women at Union complained about not offering any D1 level program they could very well have a case. Of course there would still be other ways around that issue.

One solid note: MOST institutes of higher learning are NOT in compliance with Title IX. Remember it was a Yale rowing crew that started Title IX so it was not about scholarships but about equality.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          She needs to step up and do the right thing for that program and offer her resignation. There's really no way she should come back next season even if they drop back to D3 which most likely isn't going to happen.
                          Union is not going back to D3 women's hockey - isn't happening. Schools don't give up D1 status in sports once they get there - it is far too hard a path in the first place. And they won't put the existence of the successful men's program in jeopardy through a potential non-compliance issue. They will get a new coach (eventually) who can figure out how to be competitive just like on the men's side. May be a while, but it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            Union is not going back to D3 women's hockey - isn't happening. Schools don't give up D1 status in sports once they get there - it is far too hard a path in the first place. And they won't put the existence of the successful men's program in jeopardy through a potential non-compliance issue. They will get a new coach (eventually) who can figure out how to be competitive just like on the men's side. May be a while, but it will happen.
                            Agree totally with this. Any talk of Union going back to D3 is misguided. They will either find a way to become more competitive at D1 or be satisfied with a doormat status. I don't think that they need to win a lot of games each year to provide their athletes with a rewarding experience at a great college, but they do need to win a few, and this year they took a big step backwards. Next year they lose their best player, so there is some urgency to deal with the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                              And around the same time as Leaman coming in, Union relaxed its rules about giving aid to foreign students (read: Canadians) so it opened up a whole new stream of recruiting territory so Leaman had it a little easier than Sneddon ever did.
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

I agree with Hab: "Any talk of Union going back to D3 is misguided. They will either find a way to become more competitive at D1 or be satisfied with a doormat status." I don't think the school will be satisfied with being a doormat. I think the school (administration, students, alumni, community) need to demand that the women's hockey team NOT be allowed to remain in the cellar. The coach must go. Perhaps the AD must go. Union cannot afford to lose D-1 status for the women unless its ready to go D-3 for men as well. Title IX is a big factor. On the other hand, schools have gone from D-I to D-III with success--there may be an awkward year for the program, maybe some hard choices for athletes, but it can be done. Look at SUNY Oneonta in men's soccer. But I don't think Union needs to or should go this route. Make a commitment to womens D-1 hockey. The college hasn't ever really done that. (Wo)man up, Union. Go U!

Comment

Working...
                                X