Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Not much to say about today's game. Totally outplayed by the Raiders. You could see this coming. Harvard just doesn't have it this year. And it may get a lot worse next year because we have only five recruits coming in and two of them are goalies.

Comment

Well, it was a win with a price. Grace Zarzecki got hurt in the second period and if she can't play tomorrow, we're down to 11 forwards not counting Kate Hallett who is a D. The team is playing on fumes as the first line and first D pairing are seeing ridiculous minutes. Not sure what we'll have left for tomorrow. Colgate looked like the fresher team in the third.

Comment

And that as they say is that. Season over. One of our worst showings in years. You'd have to go back to 1997-98 to find a Harvard women's hockey team that was this inconsistent and lacked finish. Not to mention some very poor D zone coverage and giveaways on a nightly basis. This isn't going to go down as one of Katey Stone's best coaching jobs. It's really a team failure but it starts at the top.

The bad news gets worse when you consider that our recruiting hasn't really paid dividends in years. Last year was an anomaly. We haven't been able to recruit blue chip players consistently and next years' class features two goalies, two D and one forward. So far. I get that we need goalies but we'll have four next year and have some serious issues up front. This doesn't bode well for a top four finish in the ECAC. Just don't see it happening for us for the next few years. It may be something the Ivies face as tuition and the number of scholarship schools who offer D-1 programs is going up.

I really hope I'm wrong but nothing I've seen tells me otherwise. And when you look at Minnesota, Wisconsin, BC, Colgate and Quinnipiac, you see programs that are loading up for a run for the next few seasons. We'll have trouble winning in our own conference let alone outside the conference.

Hats off to Maschmeyer, D'Oench, and Picard who gave it all they could but it wasn't nearly enough. Wish them well along with Mary Parker (too bad the Ivies don't allow medical redshirts - she deserves one).

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          The bad news gets worse when you consider that our recruiting hasn't really paid dividends in years. Last year was an anomaly. We haven't been able to recruit blue chip players consistently and next years' class features two goalies, two D and one forward. So far. I get that we need goalies but we'll have four next year and have some serious issues up front. This doesn't bode well for a top four finish in the ECAC. Just don't see it happening for us for the next few years. It may be something the Ivies face as tuition and the number of scholarship schools who offer D-1 programs is going up.
          I'm not sure it's as bleak as you paint, but it won't be what is was last season. The Assabet connection that produced many talented Harvard players the last few years is pretty much a done deal now (as the Assabet program declines finally). Still think Harvard can attract players and be successful but it will have to be a different approach for them. Be interesting if Stone can make it work in the new world.

Also, Laing is back in goal but the other two goalies are graduating. So aren't there only 3 goalies if they have 2 coming in? Seems like they had to use the 2 spots for goalies for next season - no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            And that as they say is that. Season over. One of our worst showings in years. You'd have to go back to 1997-98 to find a Harvard women's hockey team that was this inconsistent and lacked finish. Not to mention some very poor D zone coverage and giveaways on a nightly basis. This isn't going to go down as one of Katey Stone's best coaching jobs. It's really a team failure but it starts at the top.
            Skate79, I can feel you where your heart on your sleeve when it comes to Harvard.

I watched the Colgate/Harvard game since I as it turns out the winner would play Clarkson. I feel for Harvard this year as they were touted to be a top of the League team and maybe could have been, but upon inspection their injury games played a big part in their demise. Injuries affect every team but for Harvard it probably took the biggest toll,

Mary Parker (played 5 games) in the middle of the season, and she was one of their 3 top forwards.
            H Mullens (top 6/7 forward) missed a bunch of games early and could not finish the season.
            A Frazer has (top 3 D) missed last 2 weekends of the season/playoffs.
            S Daniels (top 2 Forwards) got injured after 1 period in the final game and didn't come back.
            Others who didn't play yesterday D Krytiaczk (spelling for sure?)

New supporting coaching staff, others off to UMD

Unfortunate incident which happened to D Laing, how does that affect Lexie and Breanna Laing, and the rest of the team.

I think for Harvard it was a perfect hockey storm, and it looks to me that the team could never gets it's footing. That doesn't mean that the others couldn't pick up the puck and skate with it, but to me Harvard's troubles lie with injuries/turnover of coaches and players who graduated an incoming/and an unfortunate off team incident.

Skate79, I think the rest of your post is accurate though and that Harvard will be in for a few rebuild years. So as tough as it was this year for Harvard, I agree next year could and likely will be more difficult.

As for Colgate, watched them several times this year and they are legit. I will not be surprised if they finish top 4 for the next 2 years. They are big, offensive, coached, driven, a little nasty and get a new barn next year.

As for the Golden Knights, this is a big year for the team. We have some big skates to fill after this season. We have some good returning players but tough to replace MacCauley, Ambrose, Howe and Fast. Mercer has spent 4 years here but i think her 1st year was a red shirt, so hope to get her back. This year the rubber hits the road.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              I'm not sure it's as bleak as you paint, but it won't be what is was last season. The Assabet connection that produced many talented Harvard players the last few years is pretty much a done deal now (as the Assabet program declines finally). Still think Harvard can attract players and be successful but it will have to be a different approach for them. Be interesting if Stone can make it work in the new world.

Also, Laing is back in goal but the other two goalies are graduating. So aren't there only 3 goalies if they have 2 coming in? Seems like they had to use the 2 spots for goalies for next season - no choice.
              Molly Tissenbaum is a junior so she will be back next year and probably share minutes with Brianna Laing. I realize that with two seniors in goal next year, Katey has to prepare with two new goalies ready to go but I was surprised we got two to commit. And I'm very worried about our lack of depth up front given only one (so far) forward is committed to attend next season.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksoncluck View Post
                Skate79, I can feel you where your heart on your sleeve when it comes to Harvard.

I watched the Colgate/Harvard game since I as it turns out the winner would play Clarkson. I feel for Harvard this year as they were touted to be a top of the League team and maybe could have been, but upon inspection their injury games played a big part in their demise. Injuries affect every team but for Harvard it probably took the biggest toll,

Mary Parker (played 5 games) in the middle of the season, and she was one of their 3 top forwards.
                H Mullens (top 6/7 forward) missed a bunch of games early and could not finish the season.
                A Frazer has (top 3 D) missed last 2 weekends of the season/playoffs.
                S Daniels (top 2 Forwards) got injured after 1 period in the final game and didn't come back.
                Others who didn't play yesterday D Krytiaczk (spelling for sure?)

New supporting coaching staff, others off to UMD

Unfortunate incident which happened to D Laing, how does that affect Lexie and Breanna Laing, and the rest of the team.

I think for Harvard it was a perfect hockey storm, and it looks to me that the team could never gets it's footing. That doesn't mean that the others couldn't pick up the puck and skate with it, but to me Harvard's troubles lie with injuries/turnover of coaches and players who graduated an incoming/and an unfortunate off team incident.

Skate79, I think the rest of your post is accurate though and that Harvard will be in for a few rebuild years. So as tough as it was this year for Harvard, I agree next year could and likely will be more difficult.

As for Colgate, watched them several times this year and they are legit. I will not be surprised if they finish top 4 for the next 2 years. They are big, offensive, coached, driven, a little nasty and get a new barn next year.

As for the Golden Knights, this is a big year for the team. We have some big skates to fill after this season. We have some good returning players but tough to replace MacCauley, Ambrose, Howe and Fast. Mercer has spent 4 years here but i think her 1st year was a red shirt, so hope to get her back. This year the rubber hits the road.
                Thanks. I do wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to Harvard particularly since I have gotten to know some of the players. I can't help it.

I've purposely avoided talking about Lexie Laing and her sister because I can only imagine what they are going through. Everyone associated with the program knows how hard this has been on the two of them. We are keeping our fingers crossed that Denna makes a full recovery. I also tend to believe there are miracles that can happen if you really believe. That started when I was a young 'un watching Harvard tie Yale 29-29. I'll never forget that last two minutes.

I agree with you that Colgate is coming on strong. They skate, play hard on every shift and yes, they are physical but within the scope of the rules. With all of their underclassmen and the experience of playing in the ECAC semis, it will only serve to help them moving forward.

Good luck in the tournament and the nationals.

Comment

Final wrap-up. (Just in time as things seem to be heating up next door!)

Parting career kudos to Mary Parker, who barely skated this season and whose catalytic presence would have made all the difference in the world, and to Michelle Picard, who did skate, sleekly and seemingly endlessly, and who ended up third team (?!) all-conference. A workhorse, a positively oxymoronic sleek workhorse.

Btw, this got buried in the attendance thread, but interested parties should check it out: "The NCAA's Women Problem"
                  [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/26/opinion/the-ncaas-women-problem.html

Nothing could ever get buried in the BC thread, but an additional shout-out to “This Awesome Valley of Tears,” or something like that: T3’s takedown of the presumed difficulty teams have of scheduling competitive nonconference games. Not long enough to take to the beach (or lake ), but provocative enough to generate some off-season forum fodder: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...consin-badgers

Lastly, “Driventoit:” disingenuous farewell sayer, wily, or just naïve? Couldn’t resist continued repeat appearances this season, though unbidden. Therapeutic? Perhaps. But still . . . awkward. Owes apologies to last fall’s well-wishers.

Right. My apologies, and my thanks again, to last fall’s well-wishers. Not to worry. That’s it. Truly. Finito. You’ll just have to live without your NYT links. (There are worse fates.) If you catch me posting anywhere on the forum again just shoot me.

Adios chicos y chicas. Really. Happy trails to all.

Sorry: link issues under investigation. Just do "a google" and you'll be all set. You won't regret the time spent.
                  Last edited by driventoit; 03-28-2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X