Full Cost of Attendance Scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Cost of Attendance Scholarships

I have seen a couple articles about hockey programs planning to provide "full cost of attendance" scholarships next year, which can be add another $4,000 or more per year in addition to a full scholarship.

Are any women's programs offering this extra money to players next year? I would think that an extra $16,000 plus in cash over four years might be a difference maker.

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
    I have seen a couple articles about hockey programs planning to provide "full cost of attendance" scholarships next year, which can be add another $4,000 or more per year in addition to a full scholarship.

Are any women's programs offering this extra money to players next year? I would think that an extra $16,000 plus in cash over four years might be a difference maker.
    If any are going to, I imagine Boston College and the Big Ten teams would be first as power conference members.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: Full Cost of Attendance Scholarships

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      If any are going to, I imagine Boston College and the Big Ten teams would be first as power conference members.
      I doubt it. BC was the lone "no" vote in the power 5 conferences against FCOA scholarships. Also, I didn't think BC provides the maximum 18 scholarships for women's hockey at this time?

http://bcheights.com/news/2015/bc-at...rship-measure/

The references I have seen to providing FCOA scholarships for hockey have not come from Big Ten schools.

Comment

I doubt it. BC was the lone "no" vote in the power 5 conferences against FCOA scholarships. Also, I didn't think BC provides the maximum 18 scholarships for women's hockey at this time?

http://bcheights.com/news/2015/bc-at...rship-measure/

The references I have seen to providing FCOA scholarships for hockey have not come from Big Ten schools.
        BC absolutely gives the full compliment of women's hockey scholarships. And yes, BC was the lone no vote of the power 5 conferences but as an ACC member school should the ACC (as a power conference) opt to give full cost of attendance BC would be obligated to as well. The no vote was a ceremonial one. It doesn't mean BC won't give FCOA scholarships should that become an option. Even if they weren't obligated to they would still do it because otherwise it's effectively ending any hope you had of competing for recruits.

Other conferences could opt to do so in hockey as well, I'm not saying they won't, but what I'm saying is that if any of them do, the B1G schools + BC would absolutely be in that group because of their power 5 conference membership.

Comment

I wonder if the Div III playup schools (Clarkson, SLU, RPI, Colorado College etc) can offer the extra money?? Gonna really kill them recruiting wise if they cannot or decide not to.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            I wonder if the Div III playup schools (Clarkson, SLU, RPI, Colorado College etc) can offer the extra money?? Gonna really kill them recruiting wise if they cannot or decide not to.
            if the D2 & D3 schools have to pay the women's coach the same as the men's, and fund both teams the same
            it might be over for them anyway

it will certainly be tough for any new teams to take up women's hockey

Comment

Minnesota announced a couple of months ago that it will be implementing full cost of attendance scholarships for all men's and women's athletic programs. Some other Big 10 schools have announced the same but I don't know if Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Penn State are among them.

Comment

Forgive me if this sounds ignorant but, what does "full cost of attendance" mean? If a kid is getting full ride or a 75% - 80% scholarship already how is it impacted?
                Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                Minnesota announced a couple of months ago that it will be implementing full cost of attendance scholarships for all men's and women's athletic programs. Some other Big 10 schools have announced the same but I don't know if Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Penn State are among them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                  Forgive me if this sounds ignorant but, what does "full cost of attendance" mean? If a kid is getting full ride or a 75% - 80% scholarship already how is it impacted?
                  Also, can somebody take a shot at explaining how this is not going to be 'all bad and no good' because of competitive imbalance issues and raising the cost of women's hockey?

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eeze/22808431/

Sorry, but competitive imbalance already exists in women's hockey and the cost of all Division 1 sports is going up no matter what.

If you are a fan of parity, hope that some other programs step up and lure away some national team players with more money and benefits.

Comment

Sorry, but competitive imbalance already exists in women's hockey and the cost of all Division 1 sports is going up no matter what.
                      there is an imbalance, but it is not on school size, "cost of attendance" will certainly make it tough for the D2 & D3 schools to be competitive

seems to me a better route for the NCAA to have taken would be to offer degrees in sports, make sports similar to the other departments, but I guess they are just being honest, it's all about the money

favorite quotes:
                      "And though practically everyone in college athletics recognizes that the scholarship was not sufficient and a stipend was long overdue (actually some schools have been paying .... under the table)

Each college's financial aid office is required under Federal guidelines to publish a full cost of attendance number, which includes an estimate of incidental expenses. Exactly what is included in that number, however, can vary from school to school and even from person to person depending on factors like distance from home or whether they have a child.

for instance, said the average full cost of attendance benefit for Auburn athletes is likely in the neighborhood of $6,000 per year, with an additional $1,500 if they enroll in summer school."

this is great, so now it's not only the government that will be in the business of paying young women to have kids out of wedlock, colleges will be paying the young men as well.
                      Last edited by pokechecker; 02-18-2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Related thread here: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ity&highlight=
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Critical Thinker on the other thread says:
                          If the B1G did get to play by different rules to attract better players, and then won more games, wouldn't that give more parity to college hockey?

hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                            If the B1G did get to play by different rules to attract better players, and then won more games, wouldn't that give more parity to college hockey?

hahahaha

that is
                            funny

If the kid is interested in a career in the real world, rather than in the NHL, I've often wondered why schools like Colorado College and Michigan Tech wouldn't be more attractive to them

CC is expensive
                            and just to do the math for you,
                            40 years at about $125K a year is 50 million (a paycheck you could easily get with a B.S. from Mich Tech)
                            when you consider how few guys make it to the NHL
                            and how few get a fat paycheck in the NHL
                            playing hockey to get an education isn't that bad a deal from a financial angle
                            Last edited by pokechecker; 02-18-2015, 01:21 PM. Reason: it's all about the money

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

hahahaha
                              That is fantastic

Comment

Working...
                              X