RPI 2014-2015: Goin' back to the playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
    You guys remember those lovely season simulations I did last year that got more and more depressing as the season went on? Well, here they are again! The program uses KRACH to simulate the ECAC schedule one million times. It outputs how many times each team finishes in each position, along with how many points they earned on average and how often they made the playoffs. It also puts out the likelihood of each playoff matchup, but it's too early to be posting that. As you probably could have predicted, things don't look great right now. Don't go too crazy, as it's early. KRACH will vary wildly for the next few weeks as teams play more games.

Mean Point Total: 11.70
    Range - 4th-12th
    Mean Rank - 10.16
    Median Rank - 10th
    Mode Rank - 10th
    Playoffs - 11.6%
    Most likely opponent - @Quinnipiac (4.5%)

The only team expected to do worse than us is Union, so there's that. I wouldn't put too much stock in these right now as Cornell is expected to earn just 0.17 more points than us and unless something has gone horribly wrong in Ithaca, that just doesn't sound right to me.
    If the mean, median and mode place RPI 10th, how is there only 1 team (union) doing worse? Wouldn't there be 2 in a 12 team league? from what I've seen so far, I'd put Union and Colgate behind RPI.

Could you share the information for the other ECAC teams? I'd agree with you that Cornell can't possibly be as bad as their results suggest and are undoubtedly largely due to rust.

Comment

Re: RPI 2014-2015: Goin' back to the playoffs

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
      If the mean, median and mode place RPI 10th, how is there only 1 team (union) doing worse? Wouldn't there be 2 in a 12 team league? from what I've seen so far, I'd put Union and Colgate behind RPI.

Could you share the information for the other ECAC teams? I'd agree with you that Cornell can't possibly be as bad as their results suggest and are undoubtedly largely due to rust.
      I unfortunately already did away with the raw information. Basically, no teams are "averaging" 11th or 12th place. I don't remember exactly what the numbers were, but I think Colgate and Cornell were also both around 10th (but slightly ahead of RPI) and Union was closer to 11th. Sorry I can't be more specific.
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

In digging through box scores, it appears that 8 shots was the fewest we've taken as a D-I team. I did find a game from 1999 where we managed only 5 shots in a 7-0 shutout loss to Middlebury. collegehockeystats.net's archives end there and the RPI almanac doesn't have shot totals for the previous seasons.

All of this is to say that we witnessed a historically bad effort from the team this Saturday. So we have that going for us, which is nice.
        Was at the game on Saturday. Granted, RPI has alot to improve on, but the shot totals were misleading (as stats often are). There were a slew of blocked shots throughout the game. Yes, they were outplayed, and yes, every team has shots blocked during the game, but just posting the shot totals is still a bit misleading. RPI created several shot "opportunities", but were just stymied by the number of blocks. I thought St. Cloud was particularly adept at getting into both passing and shooting lanes, and played a strong defensive game overall. Doesn't mean there isn't plenty of room for improvement on RPI's part, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Livinhocky View Post
          Was at the game on Saturday. Granted, RPI has alot to improve on, but the shot totals were misleading (as stats often are). There were a slew of blocked shots throughout the game. Yes, they were outplayed, and yes, every team has shots blocked during the game, but just posting the shot totals is still a bit misleading. RPI created several shot "opportunities", but were just stymied by the number of blocks. I thought St. Cloud was particularly adept at getting into both passing and shooting lanes, and played a strong defensive game overall. Doesn't mean there isn't plenty of room for improvement on RPI's part, though!
          Oh, I was there too. SCSU blocked a ridiculous number of shots. I was just saying that from the standpoint of pucks on net, that was the worst RPI had ever done. I've also seen the team get beat by Clarkson 10-0, which I think most would agree was probably a worse game (though against a stronger foe on enemy ice).
          RPI Pep Band
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Oh, I was there too. SCSU blocked a ridiculous number of shots. I was just saying that from the standpoint of pucks on net, that was the worst RPI had ever done. I've also seen the team get beat by Clarkson 10-0, which I think most would agree was probably a worse game (though against a stronger foe on enemy ice).
            I agree, it looks really bad when you see it in the boxscore, blocked shots or not! Definitely alot of room for improvement. The team needs to get back to the relentless hustle and opportunistic play they showed last season in wins over Harvard and Quinnipiac, and the BU tie. That's the kind of effort they'll need when playing teams of arguably superior talent. Hopefully they can recover that........

Comment

Great to see this much discussion on the thread. Hope we see even more when the team turns it around and goes on a winning streak. Notice I said "when"...not "if". Don't make me regret the choice I made for the name of this thread.

Speaking of 'turning it around' does anyone have information on the timing of getting Huhtamaki and Gruschow back in the lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                Great to see this much discussion on the thread. Hope we see even more when the team turns it around and goes on a winning streak. Notice I said "when"...not "if". Don't make me regret the choice I made for the name of this thread.

Speaking of 'turning it around' does anyone have information on the timing of getting Huhtamaki and Gruschow back in the lineup?
                Unless something drastically changes, Huhtamaki could be out for the season. Gruschow should be (hopefully) back this weekend. Although sometimes too solo, at least she gets shots off!

Comment

Originally posted by hkypassion View Post
                  Unless something drastically changes, Huhtamaki could be out for the season. Gruschow should be (hopefully) back this weekend. Although sometimes too solo, at least she gets shots off!
                  Very disappointed to hear about Huhtamaki (one of my favourite players) but thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing Gruschow back (one of the few forwards on this team that will drive to the top of the crease).

Comment

Unless something drastically changes, Huhtamaki could be out for the season.
                    That's a huge blow for RPI. Very talented player. Tough break.

Comment

Ana Orzechowski signed a LOI https://twitter.com/anaorzechowski/s...69800967729152.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Free live-streaming video of tonight's game available at www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com. RPI will be a huge underdog against the #5 (and undefeated) Bobcats. I would like to watch but will probably tune in to the Princeton at RPI men's game instead.

Comment

I'm sorry, but the lack of offensive effectiveness is really glaring. Two games in a row you don't hit double digits in SOG?! At one point in the game the video shot to the bench (watched online) and even the coaches looked like deer in headlights!! The wing play is awful - how do you clear the zone if the wings aren't in position to get the puck off the wall? Clearly Quinnipiac is a very strong team, well positioned, and have girls who can finish, but thought the RPI girls played aggressively in the 1st and kept it a close game. You can't skate through the neutral zone through the middle of the ice and through 3 opposing players!! Tape to tape passes still seem to be problematic as they try to go up ice and cross ice passing - to who? All the forwards are on the same side of the ice more often than not!! yikes!

Comment

Two games in a row you don't hit double digits in SOG?!
                            We had 13 SOG today. It's not excusing anything, but don't make it sound worse than it is.
                            RPI Pep Band
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Much better game by RPI...a heartbreaking loss to Princeton 2-1 in overtime. Gruschow is really hitting her stride after coming back from her injury...definitely the best player on the ice today. O'Brien was very solid in net for Engineers, and generally the whole team looked sharper than in recent games.

Comment

Wasn't most of the team recruited by Brent Hill? If this team is so bad and his recruiting skills are so excellent, how does that add up?

Comment

Working...
                                X