Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1 or D3 ??

Originally posted by crzyeagle View Post
    A lot of the points made so far have been spot on. Also there is that "broken leg" scenario. Say you break your leg during the beginning of the season or during the season and can't play the rest of the year. Would you be happy at the school as a student? I would hope so if you already made your decision to attend. But again would you be happy to be a student of your school? Would you be ok with (for the time being hopefully) being a "normal" student? I took that into consideration when I chose what school I ended up playing D1.
    Or a career ending injury, that prevents you from playing the game you loved since a very young age. After spending countless hours almost half of your life to reach one of your goals, you can no longer play college hockey or work towards any of your other hockey goals. Now while dealing with the emotional side of this event( someone once said" athletes die two deaths...") are you at a school that you will be happy while learning to adjust to a new lifestyle?
    Many will read this and think this won't happen to us( I say "us" because parents are affected as well). I hope to god you're right!!! The odds of it happening may be the same as winning the lottery. But I would strongly suggest, as hard as it may to think about, that everyone pondering college athletics consider the scenario before so that you may not be very disappointed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar3535 View Post
      Or a career ending injury, that prevents you from playing the game you loved since a very young age. After spending countless hours almost half of your life to reach one of your goals, you can no longer play college hockey or work towards any of your other hockey goals. Now while dealing with the emotional side of this event( someone once said" athletes die two deaths...") are you at a school that you will be happy while learning to adjust to a new lifestyle?
      Many will read this and think this won't happen to us( I say "us" because parents are affected as well). I hope to god you're right!!! The odds of it happening may be the same as winning the lottery. But I would strongly suggest, as hard as it may to think about, that everyone pondering college athletics consider the scenario before so that you may not be very disappointed later.
      Amen, please look at the school without athletics. Just in case !

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
        Suppose there is a girl out there who plays for Amherst. Suppose she has D-I skills. She is majoring in a field where having a top-3 liberal arts degree really matters. The academic side of her decision to go to Amherst is obvious. But did she really suffer on the competition/commitment side of things? Did she really give up something of importance?
        That last question can't really be answered, because what is important to one hypothetical girl may not be as important to another. For example, if the dream or goal were to play in the Olympics rather than play D-I, I think that most would be able to easily relate to it. But what does a person get for Olympic competition? Mostly, intangible benefits like a lifetime of memories. Those memories have to matter to that person for it to be worth the years of dedication and sacrifice that went into achieving that goal. Similarly, if a player has always wanted to compete in D-I, none of us can say that dream is or is not justified -- it must be her decision.

People sometimes question a decision to attend a certain school because that is where a significant other is attending. But if 50 years later, the two are happily married, who can say that was the wrong path to take? There are so many choices and so many factors enter into them, that only the student athlete herself can determine right or wrong. Others can give advice, but utlimately, she has to make the decisions because she will be the one most effected.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          That last question can't really be answered, because what is important to one hypothetical girl may not be as important to another. For example, if the dream or goal were to play in the Olympics rather than play D-I, I think that most would be able to easily relate to it. But what does a person get for Olympic competition? Mostly, intangible benefits like a lifetime of memories. Those memories have to matter to that person for it to be worth the years of dedication and sacrifice that went into achieving that goal. Similarly, if a player has always wanted to compete in D-I, none of us can say that dream is or is not justified -- it must be her decision.

People sometimes question a decision to attend a certain school because that is where a significant other is attending. But if 50 years later, the two are happily married, who can say that was the wrong path to take? There are so many choices and so many factors enter into them, that only the student athlete herself can determine right or wrong. Others can give advice, but utlimately, she has to make the decisions because she will be the one most effected.
          Greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
            Nothing wrong with anything you say in this post, but tell us your opinion about how this philosophy impacts the college you think your daughter should attend. Where do competition, fun, socialization, and enjoyment fit on the list of priorities with academics?
            Well, I may have been off topic here however I was speaking to the comment that once college athletics are over there are opportunities to continue at a highly competative level, not everyone will be relegated to the beer leagues.

With respect to how this impacts college selection, for some it likley has no influence at all. In our particular case however the coach and the hockey program ranked fairly high on the decision making scale. Everyone is different and to put an answer to the question...competition, fun, socialization and enjoyment were ultimatley at the top of the list. If you are able to accomplish these things during your college years the academics will fall into place.

Strictly from the academic viewpoint it appeared that the liberal arts curriculum from one school to another didn't seem that dissimiliar. Most offered the same courses etc.

It therefore came down to where she felt most comfortable, the coach, the hockey program, the size of campus and the student/prof ratio. In that particular order...

Comment

Working...
            X