NCAA Announces Host Site Finalists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Announces Host Site Finalists

On the NCAA site, there is a new story, "Host site finalists named for final round of 81 championships for 2014-18."
    The NCAA on Wednesday announced the host site finalists for the final round of 81 of its 89 championships for the 2014-18 championship seasons.

The finalists were selected by the respective sport committees, which are made up of coaches and administrators from NCAA member schools and conferences, from an original pool of 1,948 bids. The committees will select the winning sites, which must then be approved by the appropriate divisional championships cabinets/committees before being announced via webcast at NCAA.com on Dec. 11.
    Cities were able to bid for one or more years of the same championship.
    Of note to this forum, under National Collegiate:
    Sport______________Division__Name of Facility____________City_________________State__Ho st Institution
    Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Family Arena.......................St. Charles..................MO......Lindenwood
    Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Ridder Arena.......................Minneapolis........... .......MN......Minnesota
    Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Whittemore Center Arena......Durham.......................NH......Ne w Hampshire
    Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Ralph Englstad Arena............Grand Forks.................ND......North Dakota
    At this time, there is nothing lister under Division-III for Women's Ice Hockey.

The USCHO Story is here:
    http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/30/ten-...zen-four-bids/
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: NCAA Announces Host Site Finalists

Interesting that the Ralph made the list, even without the official nickname, I would have thought the NCAA would shy away with all the Sioux images there.

Also somewhat interesting that Madison isn't on the list, as UW officials have said in the past that they were interested in hosting the event, although I've questioned their sincerity especially with all the other events at the Kohl Center in March. LaBahn would be too small IMHO, but there is basically a rule that UW won't host events at LaBahn and Kohl at the same time anyway. Also interesting that on the Mens side Milwaukee didn't make the cut, even though UW supposedly was making a hosting bid there too.

Would have liked to see Duluth back on the list, as I thought they did a great job, with the June-like March temperatures that year giving an assist.

St. Charles/St. Louis is an interesting one. It's not exactly a short trip for anyone except Lindenwood, with Wisconsin being the next closest school I'd suspect? Could be tough to get any crowd there, since Lindy seems unlikely to be playing for a title in the next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
      Interesting that the Ralph made the list, even without the official nickname, I would have thought the NCAA would shy away with all the Sioux images there.

Also somewhat interesting that Madison isn't on the list, as UW officials have said in the past that they were interested in hosting the event, although I've questioned their sincerity especially with all the other events at the Kohl Center in March. LaBahn would be too small IMHO, but there is basically a rule that UW won't host events at LaBahn and Kohl at the same time anyway. Also interesting that on the Mens side Milwaukee didn't make the cut, even though UW supposedly was making a hosting bid there too.

Would have liked to see Duluth back on the list, as I thought they did a great job, with the June-like March temperatures that year giving an assist.

St. Charles/St. Louis is an interesting one. It's not exactly a short trip for anyone except Lindenwood, with Wisconsin being the next closest school I'd suspect? Could be tough to get any crowd there, since Lindy seems unlikely to be playing for a title in the next 5 years.
      Not sure, but doesn't LaBahn capacity eliminate it from consideration as a women's FF site by the NCAA?
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Lindenwood?
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Interesting list.

And it becomes even more interesting when you realize that four tournaments are to be awarded, and there are exactly 4 applicants. Granted, one or two of the aspiring hosts could be awarded multiple tournaments. Or, the decision on some of the years could deferred until later. But it seems distinctly possible that we're looking at a list of the next four hosts, with the only question being the chronological order.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Interesting list.

And it becomes even more interesting when you realize that four tournaments are to be awarded, and there are exactly 4 applicants. Granted, one or two of the aspiring hosts could be awarded multiple tournaments. Or, the decision on some of the years could deferred until later. But it seems distinctly possible that we're looking at a list of the next four hosts, with the only question being the chronological order.
            Actually, it would be five. Hoping for Durham for the obvious, budget boosting reasons, but agree that a return to Duluth (what with global climate change) would be fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              ...but agree that a return to Duluth (what with global climate change) would be fantastic.
              As a former resident, I can only caution: Don't count on it!

That said, it is a "pretty cool" place...
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                Actually, it would be five.
                No, only four. The 2014 FF is already set for Quinnipiac.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  No, only four. The 2014 FF is already set for Quinnipiac.
                  Oh yeah, duh.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Interesting list.

I don't believe that the NCAA has to award all the championships through 2018.

As for next year's championship, discount tickets are available through tomorrow, if you call the Quinnipac box office.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Getting close to the December 11th date where there will supposedly be an announcement per the NCAA article.
                      On the NCAA site, there is a new story, "Host site finalists named for final round of 81 championships for 2014-18."

Of note to this forum, under National Collegiate:

At this time, there is nothing lister under Division-III for Women's Ice Hockey.

The USCHO Story is here:
                      http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/30/ten-...zen-four-bids/
                      And the four in the running for NCAA National Collegiate were again…
                      Sport______________Division__Name of Facility____________City_________________State__Ho st Institution
                      Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Family Arena.......................St. Charles..................MO......Lindenwood
                      Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Ridder Arena.......................Minneapolis........... .......MN......Minnesota
                      Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Whittemore Center Arena......Durham.......................NH......Ne w Hampshire
                      Women's Ice Hockey..NC..........Ralph Englstad Arena............Grand Forks.................ND......North Dakota

Comment

Thanks! Oh God please be the Whit...
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          Thanks! Oh God please be the Whit...
                          My understanding is that those are the candidates for the four years from 2015-18, so I'd guess that each will host at some point. With that in mind, would not expect the only site in the East from that list to come next season after Quinnipiac this year. Having been at Ridder twice already since 2010, I don't expect to see it in Minneapolis early in that range either. So get ready for St. Charles or Grand Forks in 2015, unless they plan to use the Whittemore Center twice.

Comment

My understanding is that those are the candidates for the four years from 2015-18, so I'd guess that each will host at some point. With that in mind, would not expect the only site in the East from that list to come next season after Quinnipiac this year. Having been at Ridder twice already since 2010, I don't expect to see it in Minneapolis early in that range either. So get ready for St. Charles or Grand Forks in 2015, unless they plan to use the Whittemore Center twice.
                            Agree with that...My prediction hat suggests the following order:

2015 - UND
                            2016 - UNH
                            2017 - Lindenwood
                            2018 - UM

Comment

I just do not understand the value of having the tournament in St. Louis. Let's make sure that it is a hassle for ALL of the participants and their fans to get to the site. Let's hold it in a place where there appears to be fewer than 100 people that care enough to go to a women's hockey game. That's going to draw well.

I don't really understand North Dakota, either, but at least they have a team that draws well and that might actually be a part of the tournament. Still, it's a long way to get to Grand Forks from anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X