Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey East offseason 2008-2009: Anyone home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East offseason 2008-2009: Anyone home?

Originally posted by Bergey1
    Preseason poll is up
    http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/wome...9/sep22wcp.php

1. New Hampshire (3) 50
    2. Boston College (3) 47
    3. Boston University 46
    4. Providence (2) 43
    5. Connecticut 31
    6. Northeastern 27
    7. Vermont 22
    8. Maine 14

In my own ranking (and it's nothing more than opinion) I'd have put PC in 3rd with BU and NU interchangeable 4-5. But it remains to be seen how NU will do without Coach Flint actually being there. It seems to be a generally close vote though between the top teams. Thoughts?
    I am looking for PC to get off to a faster start than previous years, so I think 4th is too low. In the past, our early, non-league play has impacted the standings and made it hard to recover. However, the learning curve (from 10new players last year to 4) is thankfully shorter. In addition, it seems like our HE schedule has changed to be more challenging earlier in the year.

I do like the fact that we got two first place votes

Comment

Wow... those rankings are tight.

I'd go:

T.I.J.T.
      New Hampshire
      Boston University
      Boston College
      Providence College
      Connecticut
      Northeastern
      Vermont
      Maine

With a massively ridiculous Fluster-Cuck from 1-5.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Wow... those rankings are tight.
        Fortunately they're also meaningless for anything other than gambling purposes. Possibly more important will be actual game outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by law View Post
          Fortunately they're also meaningless for anything other than gambling purposes. Possibly more important will be actual game outcomes.
          I don't think I said anything to the contrary...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            I don't think I said anything to the contrary...
            I agree. You are correct. I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. My remark only reflected my contempt for pre-season polls generally. I wasn't intending to direct it towards any individual.

IMHO, unless you're gambling on games and trying to set odds, it's not worth getting excercised over pre-season polls, especially when we'll shortly have actual game results to use as one arbiter of team strength.

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
              I am looking for PC to get off to a faster start than previous years, so I think 4th is too low. In the past, our early, non-league play has impacted the standings and made it hard to recover. However, the learning curve (from 10new players last year to 4) is thankfully shorter. In addition, it seems like our HE schedule has changed to be more challenging earlier in the year.

I do like the fact that we got two first place votes
              You make a good point regarding the smaller number of new faces in the Friar lineup, and I too think they will be in the mix sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by law View Post
                IMHO, unless you're gambling on games and trying to set odds, it's not worth getting excercised over pre-season polls, especially when we'll shortly have actual game results to use as one arbiter of team strength.
                Still, they're worth looking at as a good starting point for discussing the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                  You make a good point regarding the smaller number of new faces in the Friar lineup, and I too think they will be in the mix sooner rather than later.
                  Only 4 Frosh but I understand they are supposed to be very good players.

Comment

Heading to Boston next weekend for BU vs. OSU. Staying in Somerville. How's the parking near the arena, or should I take a taxi to the games?

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post
                      Heading to Boston next weekend for BU vs. OSU. Staying in Somerville. How's the parking near the arena, or should I take a taxi to the games?
                      If its at Walter Brown there is a parking lot right across from the main entrance and its usually pretty cheap. I think between 5-10 dollars. I've never had a problem parking there. It's def. cheaper than a cab.

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post
                        You could really treat yourself and take the Green Line MBTA. Just leave plenty of time and find yourself an outbound (Boston College) "B" train. Ask the attendant for a "Hard" Charlie Card and you'll save $.30 a trip!! Be sure to get off at Babcock Street.

Comment

Originally posted by futurestar View Post
                          You could really treat yourself and take the Green Line MBTA. Just leave plenty of time and find yourself an outbound (Boston College) "B" train. Ask the attendant for a "Hard" Charlie Card and you'll save $.30 a trip!! Be sure to get off at Babcock Street.
                          The Green Line doesn't run into Somerville.

There is plenty of parking in the lot next to the rink($5), and often you can find a spot on the street as well. However, if there is red or blue paint on the curb, do NOT park there or you will end up with a hefty ticket.

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread just for a question but I was just looking at the schedule for October for all the HE teams. Of the almost 60 games in October, only 6 of them are on Sunday. This seems to be a big change from last year when it was usually Saturday/Sunday.

Does anyone know what is driving this shift? Is it an attempt to increase student participation? Or is there another reason? I do know that for people travelling out of town, it does add the additional work day to the equation, so I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                              I didn't want to start a new thread just for a question but I was just looking at the schedule for October for all the HE teams. Of the almost 60 games in October, only 6 of them are on Sunday. This seems to be a big change from last year when it was usually Saturday/Sunday.

Does anyone know what is driving this shift? Is it an attempt to increase student participation? Or is there another reason? I do know that for people travelling out of town, it does add the additional work day to the equation, so I was just curious.
                              There are a lot of variables rink availability, travel schedules, especially during the beginning of the season, when OOC contests are generally played, and typically require more travel time. If the school has any input, they may try to minimize multiple sport home games on the same day.
                              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                                There are a lot of variables rink availability, travel schedules, especially during the beginning of the season, when OOC contests are generally played, and typically require more travel time. If the school has any input, they may try to minimize multiple sport home games on the same day.
                                Agreed. Another mention is the fact of who's playing. If a west team comes into town, they might opt for a Fri/Sat set so they can get home before classes on Monday.
                                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                                ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X