Stoney Creek University Showcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoney Creek University Showcase

Mission to win. Nepean to place. POE (black) to show.

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
    Mission to win. Nepean to place. POE (black) to show.

I wouldn't doubt if POE wins that tourney. They were very good last year, even with a half dozen 98's on that team and now the addition of Karly could push them to the top.

Comment

Re: Stoney Creek University Showcase

Picking a winner for this tournament seems like throwing darts in the dark since there are so many unknowns, but I'm with Genbeau. Mission to win--
      Nepean, Honeybaked, CYA, POE, Mississauga, Pittsburgh and Toronto challenging.

Comment

Should be a great tourney. I think the Aeros and Missy teams to beat from GTA. If it is the same teams as in NAHA, Nepean, Mission and Pitt will all be strong contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          Should be a great tourney. I think the Aeros and Missy teams to beat from GTA. If it is the same teams as in NAHA, Nepean, Mission and Pitt will all be strong contenders.
          Is there a web site to follow the tournament?
          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
            Is there a web site to follow the tournament?
            http://www.scgha.com/page/show/92027...rsity-showcase

Comment

Hockey is alive and well....They have expanded to 60 plus teams in the U19 AA division.

Comment

Mississauga over Mission in the final. Most of the usual suspects from Ontario/PWHL (Aeros, Durham, Bluewater, Nepean, Ottawa, Mississauga ) were playing in the championship round on Sunday.

Limouilou won the Bronze division in an all Quebec final over St-Laurent.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  Mississauga over Mission in the final. Most of the usual suspects from Ontario/PWHL (Aeros, Durham, Bluewater, Nepean, Ottawa, Mississauga ) were playing in the championship round on Sunday.

Limouilou won the Bronze division in an all Quebec final over St-Laurent.
                  Limouilou won the Bronze over Honeybaked.
                  Both teams tied for first in the D division (2W, 1T), but did not advance to the gold playoffs due to tiebreakers.

It was a great tournament with lots of great competition.

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
                    Limouilou won the Bronze over Honeybaked.
                    Both teams tied for first in the D division (2W, 1T), but did not advance to the gold playoffs due to tiebreakers.

It was a great tournament with lots of great competition.
                    OOOPS. My Bad. Sorry for that mistake, the "All Quebec" game was in the Semi's.

Comment

As I watched some of the teams from Quebec, trying to pick up any choice swear words with my limited french, I got to thinking about these kids. I'm somewhat familiar with the PWHL, LLFHL, more so with U.S. club squads, but who's Champlain, Limoilou and St. Laurent? Are they the equivalents to jr. colleges in the U.S.? For that matter, what about Dawson and Ridley? Where would their average player come from? Former LLFHL/PWHL? Merci beaucoup!

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                        As I watched some of the teams from Quebec, trying to pick up any choice swear words with my limited french, I got to thinking about these kids. I'm somewhat familiar with the PWHL, LLFHL, more so with U.S. club squads, but who's Champlain, Limoilou and St. Laurent? Are they the equivalents to jr. colleges in the U.S.? For that matter, what about Dawson and Ridley? Where would their average player come from? Former LLFHL/PWHL? Merci beaucoup!
                        In Quebec there is no grade 12 ,You go from grade 11 into the cegeps.Normally this is a two year program where you can specialize a little bit and thereby needing only 3 years of university schooling for a bachelor degree. Some people take a tech program I think are a min. 3 year program. Some of the schools such as limoilou have an intensive hockey program and students finish cegep in 3 years as they don't take a full load.The stronger players are probably 94s and 93s .
                        Last edited by LG4; 09-17-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LG4 View Post
                          In Quebec there is no grade 12 ,You go from grade 11 into the cegeps.Normally this is a two year program where you can specialize a little bit and thereby needing only 3 years of university schooling for a bachelor degree. Some people take a tech program I think are a min. 3 year program. Some of the schools such as limoilou have an intensive hockey program and students finish cegep in 3 years as they don't take a full load.The stronger players are probably 94s and 93s .
                          As LG4 mentioned, in Quebec you graduate from high school after grade 11, and then go to CEGEP, either to learn a trade or as prep for University. Since most are two year programs, players coming out of Quebec CEGEP are typically a year older than their counterparts from other provinces. While they can technically do University in 3 years upon completion of a CEGEP program, many that got to Uni outside Quebec will take a full four year program. There are about 40 CEGEP schools in the Province, with about 10-15 of them offering Hockey. Hockey used to be a single tier league, but in recent years the league was split in two tiers. Top teams like Limouilou, Dawson and Montpetit are in all in the top division. St-Jerome used to have a great program, but to the shock of many, hockey was cut there a year or so ago.

These schools have produced many top prospects over the years. Rougeau, Poulin and Ward all played for Dawson. D'aoust played for Montpetit.

Ward is an example of a player that went to CEGEP, then got her degree at McGill in 3 years, and had a year of eligibility left that she used to play at BU while she continued her studies there.

Note that the age cut-off in Quebec is actually Oct 1. This means players born after Oct 1, 1997 are not yet CEGEP eligible. Players born in October, November and December are often referred to as "Lates" in Quebec, as they fall in the next class in Quebec compared to the rest of Canada. There was some talk to change that for Hockey at least, a few years ago. Not sure if that was implemented or not.

PS: Wiki with good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP
                          Last edited by OnMAA; 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

OK, folks, couldn't resist. So on their 2013 U19 Player Placement page, Assabet is claiming to have won the Stoney Creek tournament (after winning the black division for 5th place divisional teams). With such a proud history for the program, this is just kind of sad......

"U19 Red Major Players

NAHA 2012 Tournament Champions 9-02-12

Stoney Creek 2012 Tournament Champions 9-16-12

Stoney Creek 2013 Tournament Champions 9-15-13

USA Hockey 2013 National Champions 4-07-13

9-24-13

AVERY BROOKE
                            BARRY ALICIA
                            CONNOLLY ERIN
                            COYNE BAILEY
                            FINN KELCIE
                            GILMORE REBECCA
                            KELLY LAUREN
                            KENT MAKENZIE
                            LAING ALEXANDRIA
                            LANDRY JULIANNE
                            LONERGAN CAITRIN
                            MULLINS HALEY
                            PATE KATHERINE
                            SOULIOTIS MALLORY
                            TOMLINSON SHAYNA
                            WINSLOW MADELEINE
                            WOLEJKO BROOKE "

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                              OK, folks, couldn't resist. So on their 2013 U19 Player Placement page, Assabet is claiming to have won the Stoney Creek tournament (after winning the black division for 5th place divisional teams). With such a proud history for the program, this is just kind of sad......

"U19 Red Major Players

NAHA 2012 Tournament Champions 9-02-12

Stoney Creek 2012 Tournament Champions 9-16-12

Stoney Creek 2013 Tournament Champions 9-15-13

USA Hockey 2013 National Champions 4-07-13

9-24-13

AVERY BROOKE
                              BARRY ALICIA
                              CONNOLLY ERIN
                              COYNE BAILEY
                              FINN KELCIE
                              GILMORE REBECCA
                              KELLY LAUREN
                              KENT MAKENZIE
                              LAING ALEXANDRIA
                              LANDRY JULIANNE
                              LONERGAN CAITRIN
                              MULLINS HALEY
                              PATE KATHERINE
                              SOULIOTIS MALLORY
                              TOMLINSON SHAYNA
                              WINSLOW MADELEINE
                              WOLEJKO BROOKE "

Are you suggesting that the Old Man and the Whistle-boy are making stuff up?

Comment

Working...
                              X