Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What if Union moves beyond Assano?

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post
    So there is a lot of areas for improvement, maybe CAB & Co. should try to get the U18 National team gig? Worked for BC
    Still not going to do any good. Where do parents want their kids to go? 1) Harvard, for the name and the fact the team is consistently in the top 10 2) Top 10 scholarship schools for the free ride 3) Dartmouth, Princeton or a D1 school offering cash.

If any of the top 10 scholarship schools decided to do away with athletic scholarships on November 1 they would have seen their commits bolt and within three seasons would fall out of the top 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
      Still not going to do any good. Where do parents want their kids to go? 1) Harvard, for the name and the fact the team is consistently in the top 10 2) Top 10 scholarship schools for the free ride 3) Dartmouth, Princeton or a D1 school offering cash.

If any of the top 10 scholarship schools decided to do away with athletic scholarships on November 1 they would have seen their commits bolt and within three seasons would fall out of the top 20.
      I have to agree here. What parent, by the time their daughter is 13,14... doesn't look at the cost of college and think that hockey may be a route to a free education.

Comment

Two points I can agree with: CallIt and Hockeyeast33 have it right on the importance of Defense, and the lack of its dynamic presence on a lot of teams; and I think Yabadabadoo nails it about the distortion in women’s hockey introduced by the misguided development programs of USAHockey. These are ‘big issue’ concerns, but when I look at Assano and Union, I think she has consistently failed to coach her defense, and I think that she thinks she can only recruit non-National players, either from the US or and Canada. Maybe she's right--but I've seen some very good talent wasted on her teams.
        Over the years I’ve watched game after game where the defense she puts on the ice cannot clear the puck from the defensive zone. They might get possession, but all too often the d givesit right back. The opponents often get at least three 'pulses' of offensive play before the game changes, and that change is not that Union takes the puck on the offense, but rather that a goal is scored, often on the opponent’s second or third effort. Getting the puck out of the zone, hitting the lead skater on a breakout, D following to the net: fundamental skills that Assano does not know how to develop, even when she has players who come to the team with those skills. And re: goalies—I believe Day was committed before Assano arrived. And even then Assano didn’t show any skill with the defense in front of Day.
        I won’t blame USAHockey alone. Any parent of a girl at 13 who starts thinking ‘my kid’s gonna go to school for free’ is going to fall into that USAHockey trap. That’s a course for five years of hellish pressure on the kid. There is no ‘pro ticket’ to which girls can aspire; a National team slot or a scholarship may be the highest recognition they’ll get, and both of them are tightly managed, athletic and political selections. (How many college scholarships go to girls because USAHockey wants them to be available? And/or because the coaches want to be on the Team’s good side, for coaching slots or for providing players, both team and practice bodies? Again, see Yabadabadoo)
        So why do they play? Because it’s a beautiful game and they are skilled at it. What happens when a coach thinks (s)he wins or loses the games, not the players on the ice? You get a team with diminishing skill, effort, and heart. If Assano goes now or in another year, the next coach has to address that condition at Union.

Comment

I am constantly shocked when watching D1 games by the poor backward skating techniques of many of the defensemen. I have never seen so much defense being played by defensemen who deliberately turn to skate forwards with onrushing forwards rather than squaring up. Inevitably, these kids get beat regularly to the backside as they turn and in goes the forward on an odd man rush. For me, if you can't skate backwards as well and as agilely as most forwards, you have no business playing defense. But the defense selections to the USA Hockey National Teams are ALL based on how much offense you generate and so are all star teams around the country as a result.
          Harvard's top three D (Edney, Picard and Romatoski) are all offensive minded and as you say, take an angle rather than squaring up to the onrushing forward. There are times they skate backwards but it often is only for a couple of strides before turning sideways. I don't see this changing any time soon.

Regarding Asano. She was a defenseman at Harvard and very good at headmanning the puck. Of course when she played, skating wasn't anything close to what it is today so it made it easier to make the breakout pass. Perhaps her teaching skills aren't what they should be. Julie Chu is on her staff so having a former and current Olympian should help in recruiting, one would think. But if Asano-Barcomb's system doesn't play to the strengths of her recruits, well, then you have the performances that Union has put forth the past few years. The question may be, can another coach do any better? And if so, who is that coach? Might this be a problem with admissions and not being able to get the recruits that Asano wants to compete at the D-1 level?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
            I have to agree here. What parent, by the time their daughter is 13,14... doesn't look at the cost of college and think that hockey may be a route to a free education.
            Even the bender's parents do. Seriously, their Daughter can't shot the puck from the blue line to the goal in the air and they are thinking D1. Sorry but true

Comment

Now that the Uconn coach is history, perhaps the Union AD will wise up and follow in their footsteps...

Originally posted by Flarrow View Post
              Thanks for the comments.
              Heard from a lot of voices I’ve come to ‘respect’ here, for the most part, for what that’s worth.

I tried to get a Union thread going this year, but backed off when it was pointed out to me that rfd8585 (I assume that’s Ryan Fay of UnionHockeyNews) had ‘already started one’. That thread hasn’t lived up to this site’s honorable discussion traditions; it’s been mostly college PR.

This has been a hard season to watch, again. CAB just can’t seem to get a team to play together. Some good individual players, but the team’s back seems to be broken.

In Fay’s blog wrap-up of senior day there were some telling quotes: “ Rambo said…'One of the most memorable moments of her Union career came early on. In my freshman year, I took out my assistant coach in the first practice. That was pretty funny,'she recalled." That’s a career memory for a four year player? Fay continued:“There's still a ways to go -- notably in league play, where zero of the team's seven wins have come. ‘We're more successful outside of our league, which makes me wonder what we need to do in the league,’ Barcomb said. ‘At the end of the season, you always re-evaluate and try to figure out what will make you better.’
              Rambo already has the answer. ‘We need to have more good recruiting classes. We could use some good goal scorers and playmakers,’ she said, likely aware of the team ranking last in Division I at 1.24 goals a game.”

So the players know the coach is weak at recruiting, and the coach, after years playing and coaching in the league says ‘We're more successful outside of our league, which makes me wonder what we need to do in the league,’ … ‘At the end of the season, you always re-evaluate and try to figure out what will make you better.’

That ‘close game at Harvard? “Kurio, who is tied for 10th place on the program's career goals list with 13, said one of her best memories came much more recently. Last Saturday, she scored with 16 seconds left in the game to force an eventual 1-1 tie at Yale. "I was pretty shocked that it went in, actually," she said. "I was just trying to get to the net and luckily it went in.” [Fay, UHblog]. And the Dec/Jan season change of direction? How much of that had to do with Assistant Coach Chu’s playing schedule this year?

Can CAB carry the team on her own? Other than having played with her, CAB’s requirement to coach for her is apparently only to have played under her. Is that too closed of a loop? And is that another breakdown of Union’s recruiting efforts for the team?

I remain firm in my belief that the best thing for Union Women’s Hockey would be to allow CAB spend some time far away from D1 hockey; perhaps she needs to continue to wonder what it takes to coach in the league. If the AD keeps her, I’m inclined to listen to the voices that say the women’s team at Union is just a Title 9 beard for the men’s team. I can’t imagine that helps recruiting.
              I’m really not interested in linking this thread to Colgate. And my original questions remain.

Comment

Working...
              X