Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    In that case, Minnesota had eight points a week ago (it helps that the women get 6 points for a sweep ).
    Excellent! And taking that into account, we had 9 points this past weekend, when the men beat and tied Colorado College! Women 6 + Men 3 = 9!

(but it should have been 10 )
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
      Anyone know of the status of Kristen Jakubowski? She was sidelined for much of last season and the early part of this season recovering from a concussion, came back Nov.9 and scored a goal against Princeton and then was injured in the next game against Quinnipiac and I don't think we have seen her in the lineup since. It would be great to see her back on the ice, but in any event we hope she is doing okay.
      Sorry to report but her hockey career is over. Really not worth the risk of another major setback in order to play a few games.

She is moving on and is halfway through her Masters and is hoping to start on her PHd in September. We wish her the best of luck in her future endeavours.

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Man View Post
        Sorry to report but her hockey career is over. Really not worth the risk of another major setback in order to play a few games.

She is moving on and is halfway through her Masters and is hoping to start on her PHd in September. We wish her the best of luck in her future endeavours.
        Sorry to hear, but I suppose discretion is the better part of valor.

Comment

Trivia time: I suspected that this combined 7-point weekend for the men's and women's Engineers teams was a rare event (during the 8-year Div 1 era for the women), so I went back and checked. They have had 3 other 7-point weekends and one 8-pointer. The last 7 point weekend was Jan 22-23, 2010, when the women beat Dartmouth and Harvard on the road while the men beat Dartmouth and tied Harvard at home. The only 8 point weekend was a non-conf weekend, Oct. 19-20, 2007 when the women beat Maine twice and the men beat Army and Sacred Heart. They followed up the following weekend with 7 points when the women tied Yale and beat Brown while the men beat Union and Colgate. The other 7-pointer was Oct 24-25, 2008 when the women beat Niagara twice and the men tied Union and beat RMU.
          Not sure what this means except we are desperate to look for something good from the firsat half of the season. Lets not delude ourselves here we played some teams with issues this weekend Brown were lucky to have 3 scoring opporunities all game and two of them came in the third on the 5 on 3 power play where they had a full two minutess of 6 on 3 and managed to get 3 shots on net getting the game total to 10. Half of the ten were dump ins so there was little or no chance to lose that game.

On Saturday against Yale we were very lucky to score late for the 4 to 3 win but this Yale team is injury riddled and plays with 4 D most of the time. They had a fifth D who just came back and had 3 assists but she is also playing injured. This is a team that averages 1.23 goals per game all season and has been shut out six times and held to 1 goal three other games. So giving up 3 goals against this team is hardly a great defensive performance.

The girls did manage to get the two wins they needed in the standings but this is hardly an indication of a righting of the ship and most of the first half issues remain unresolved.

Comment

Do you know what the situations are with the other players who haven't suited up recently?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Do you know what the situations are with the other players who haven't suited up recently?
              Not aware of any injuries that are keeping players out. I would say those not playing are due to being in the coaches doghouse. Which appearently is quite large these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Sorry missed one Padmore has a concussion and Mazzario suffered a suspected concussion on Friday vs Brown.

Comment

Not aware of any injuries that are keeping players out. I would say those not playing are due to being in the coaches doghouse. Which appearently is quite large these days.
                  I figured that since they were suiting up fewer than the max for several games, it was injuries or illnesses. Thanks for the correction.

Edit: Just read your other post.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not sure what this means except we are desperate to look for something good from the firsat half of the season. Lets not delude ourselves here we played some teams with issues this weekend Brown were lucky to have 3 scoring opporunities all game and two of them came in the third on the 5 on 3 power play where they had a full two minutess of 6 on 3 and managed to get 3 shots on net getting the game total to 10. Half of the ten were dump ins so there was little or no chance to lose that game.

On Saturday against Yale we were very lucky to score late for the 4 to 3 win but this Yale team is injury riddled and plays with 4 D most of the time. They had a fifth D who just came back and had 3 assists but she is also playing injured. This is a team that averages 1.23 goals per game all season and has been shut out six times and held to 1 goal three other games. So giving up 3 goals against this team is hardly a great defensive performance.

The girls did manage to get the two wins they needed in the standings but this is hardly an indication of a righting of the ship and most of the first half issues remain unresolved.
                    Not sure what this means but I think that whether or not you see some positive in the first half of the season may depend on what your expectations were. I expected RPI to again be on the cusp of the playoffs, either narrowly missing or narrowly making the top eight. With that expectation in mind (and expecting that Yale and Brown will have to be two of the four teams they put behind them), I consider this last weekend to be a big step forward. The only other point I wanted to make is that given that the men's team has not had its most glorious years in the past eight (when we have had two Div 1 teams), it has been rare that we have come out of the weekend happy with the performance of both.

Comment

Not sure what this means but I think that whether or not you see some positive in the first half of the season may depend on what your expectations were. I expected RPI to again be on the cusp of the playoffs, either narrowly missing or narrowly making the top eight. With that expectation in mind (and expecting that Yale and Brown will have to be two of the four teams they put behind them), I consider this last weekend to be a big step forward. The only other point I wanted to make is that given that the men's team has not had its most glorious years in the past eight (when we have had two Div 1 teams), it has been rare that we have come out of the weekend happy with the performance of both.
                      I think that is the point we should be happy with the result, but the performance in attaining the result was not so good.

Comment

I think that is the point we should be happy with the result, but the performance in attaining the result was not so good.
                        Understood. You saw those two games and I didn't. Hope the team can deal with the long holiday layoff and come back in shape to meet both of our expectations, and more importantly, their own.

Comment

At the end of the day, they don't ask how, they ask how many. Are there still some process issues and maybe we got lucky twice? Perhaps. Are we inclined to focus on the negative after the pessimistic mood we've experienced in the past year or so? Certainly. When we look back on the game, with glaring exceptions, we don't see how, we see how many.

Comment

Well you win some that you may not deserve to win and you lose some that you deserve to win.

Key to success in the playoff race last year was head to head records against common foes in the same race. Last year Brown had winning records against RPI, Union and Colgate, and that ended up being the difference.

So far this year RPI is looking real good in that comparison with wins over Yale, Brown and Princeton. Last year they did not fare that well in the same comparison.

Lets look at the records in between the teams that figure to be in the playoff race for the 7th and 8th spot

Team.......W-L-T n Pts
                            RPI...........3-1-0 6 pts
                            Brown......2-1-0 4 pts
                            Princeton..1-1-1 3 pts
                            Yale.........1-1-1 3 pts
                            Union.......0-2-2 2 pts
                            Colgate.....0-2-1 1 pt

Still early and lots of games to be played, but right now the Engineers are the best of the lot in games amongst the teams ranked 7-12.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                              Well you win some that you may not deserve to win and you lose some that you deserve to win.

Key to success in the playoff race last year was head to head records against common foes in the same race. Last year Brown had winning records against RPI, Union and Colgate, and that ended up being the difference.

So far this year RPI is looking real good in that comparison with wins over Yale, Brown and Princeton. Last year they did not fare that well in the same comparison.

Lets look at the records in between the teams that figure to be in the playoff race for the 7th and 8th spot

Team.......W-L-T n Pts
                              RPI...........3-1-0 6 pts
                              Brown......2-1-0 4 pts
                              Princeton..1-1-1 3 pts
                              Yale.........1-1-1 3 pts
                              Union.......0-2-2 2 pts
                              Colgate.....0-2-1 1 pt

Still early and lots of games to be played, but right now the Engineers are the best of the lot in games amongst the teams ranked 7-12.
                              If these were the only games that mattered in the standings I would agree, but you also have to play the top 6 teams. Against top 6 teams Colgate leads the way with 3 points and union has 1 point, Yale, Princeton,RPI and Brown have yet to get a point against a top 6 team.

There are still 6 games left against teams 7 to 12 but a sweep of these may be required to get into the playoffs and we have already lost to Union once.

Comment

There are still 6 games left against teams 7 to 12 but a sweep of these may be required to get into the playoffs and we have already lost to Union once.
                                The loss to Union was in a nonconference game. The two conference games have yet to be played.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X