Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
    I get a real kick out of the likes of WFR and WIrinkrat. Who the hell are you to be originating another thread and suggesting we get back on track? Last I looked this thread title is "Coaching Changes" and it's the "2011 offseason". These ppl are on point with the topic and have the freedom to discuss whatever they want here without being told to move to a newly created thread or to get back on topic. If you don't like whats being said or discussed...then don't read it but for the love of God don't tell ppl where to go or what can be said or not said.

It's ok they they moved us we will just double post now. I just want to say that I am glad some people get it I have no child that plays on this team but live nearby and am forced to watch highly talented players embarass themselves their team and school because there is no clear plan. I know that W lives in a fantasy world and probably was a drop em at the rink kinda dad. No human could watch the game for twenty years and be so clueless. And yes I think it is a good thing that these girls tell their story they have been robbed of their time because this coach did not want to make the effort to improve them. I think it is also fair because what if someone else hires her. And last and most important for the coach herself she was told these things but ignored them when she heard them. Maybe just maybe they have been said loud enough that she has heard them. I do believe she is a good person but like many young managers thought title equaled respect. Those of us that have been around know that repect is earned not given with a title. And Herb Brooks really W just because I am a nice guy I am going to help you. First off Brooks coached a team of males (whole different animal mentally). In case you don't know this fact W that happened in 1980 that would be thirty years ago at that time it was also common for coaches to hit, kick and manhandle their players. I don't think that that is how it is done now. So besides making an *** of yourself W have you ever played any sport at any level besides being the last one picked everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisconsinhockey01 View Post
      As a former player of the Adrian College Women’s Hockey program, I feel it is vital to voice my opinion regarding the head coach Melissa Lomanto and the Assistant Coach Danielle Syrowik. Hopefully this will give an eye opener to the NCAA about the coaches that are representing them, since the college will not. I received a phone call stating that people on USCHO were defending Melissa Lomanto saying that she is a good coach and who ever posted something along the lines that someone cant speak for the whole team. I could care less to read what other people have written about Melissa Lomanto. So this is to all of you that are defending Lomanto and this is to my Adrian hockey girls.

The following letter was sent to the President of Adrian College, Athletic Director, and Women’s Athletic Director. No action was taken regarding the letter. This was after the 2009-2010 season.

April 23, 2010
      Dear Mike Duffy,
      The current Women’s Varsity Hockey Team would like to voice our concern about our Head Coach, Melissa Lomanto. Throughout the past two years, almost every player on our team has lost a part of their passion for the game of hockey. What used to be a time that we looked forward to has now become a time that we dread. As a group, we have made a list of concerns that we feel has impacted our program and if change does not occur, it will continue to have detrimental effects on our Women’s Ice Hockey program in the future here at Adrian College.
      • Lacks the responsibility, maturity and accountability of a head coach.
      • Lack of effort and heart towards her job, which causes the team to lose respect for her.
      • Lack of professionalism, which represents Adrian College poorly.
      • No respect for the assistant coach and the players can see it.
      • Very unknowledgeable of the game of hockey.
      - No strategy, no systems, no video, no understanding/learning how our opponents play.
      • Unequal treatment of players. Focuses on just her "top" players and does not work on improving her weaker players.
      • Does not give players coaching input on ways of improvement.
      • No organized workouts throughout the season.
      • Scheduling practice at a convenient time for her, as opposed to what is best for the 25 members of the team. We are STUDENT athletes.
      • Makes game schedule on the basis of them being in the vicinity of her hometown as opposed to scheduling us against higher calibre teams.
      • Program has gone down a negative path since she has been hired as the hockey coach.
      • Many of our losses come from the lack of coaching strategies and abilities.
      - A large number of our losses have come from our team being outcoached due to the lack of her using our players to their full potential.
      • Consistently unavailable and out of the office.
      • Has not fulfilled recruiting standards, only one freshman recruit has consistently played in games this year.
      • Does not base her recruiting off of the senior class that will need to be replaced.
      • Player and coach relationships.
      • Did not attend the U-19 girl’s National hockey tournament which is the biggest recruiting opportunity of the season.
      • Unprofessional with recruits parents when on campus visits.
      • Does not make follow up phone calls with recruits which leads them to choose other options for school, even if Adrian College was their first choice.
      • 13 players have either quit or transferred since she has become head coach.
      • Many girls are considering not playing if she is our coach.
      • USCHO FAN BLOGS – People outside of the team and Adrian College have recognized her lack of coaching skill.
      • ”Also heard that Adrian’s coach took the bye week as an opportunity to go on vacation and leave her players without practicing for a week. that’s a good approach to the first round of the playoffs. Let's go Concordia for the 1st Round Upset!!”
      (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84634&page=14)

• “You are right. They all are different teams then last year Lf certainly was improved and RF stayed competitive. Adrian on the other hand got worse. I am not saying it is all the coach but look at reasons they lose games and most can be directly related lack of direction and focus most of which the coach has to identify and correct. I have watched many of their games this season and have yet to see any sign of an organized break out, power play or penalty kill. I see players on the ice for 25 minutes or more a game coming off their shift gassed or scored on. The penalty kill is in the bottom of D-3 and yet they rank as one of the highest in penalties taken. It seems to me that all of these items should be controlled by the coach. She has a roster that when you watch them appear very talented but do not play any system, show any discipline and look like they are coached by some house league parent instead of a college coach. I would say that makes most of it her fault six or seven more wins would have been nice.” (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84634&page=20)

The Women’s Varsity Hockey Team thought it was necessary to bring these issues to your attention in order to benefit the future of the women’s hockey program here at Adrian College.
      With much concern,
      Members of the Adrian College Women’s Hockey Team

I CAN SPEAK ON BEHALF OF THE WHOLE TEAM. The best thing that ever happened to the Adrian hockey team is that Lomanto got fired. The assistant coach needs to go ASAP also.
      mature.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan1 View Post
        Some of the parents wrote letters also and had meetings with Mr Duffy...
        I don't understand why parents are involved at all. This isn't youth hockey, the players are adults, and should be treated as such by all concerned, especially their own parents. At that age, I'd have been absolutely mortified if parental units had gotten involved in my affairs to that extent. Hard as it may be, at some point we have to fight our own battles, even if it means losing them. (Disclaimer: I am speaking of the general case, know nothing about this coach or program, and realize that the above may not apply in a case where players are being physically or psychologically abused and are incapable of speaking for themselves.)

Originally posted by 1996 View Post
        Brooky, and other Goph fans, any changes in your staff. Will not lie, am a Dogs fan, but have been a little unimpressed with your gophs through the play offs the last 2 years.
        Feel free to be unimpressed for longer than that. Minnesota hasn't won a tourney since the days of Darwitz and Wendell. They have to figure out how to put it all together when it matters most, and a WCHA tourney crown may be a key step in doing that. They are 0 for 5 in WCHA championship games over the last six years. As for the staff, I think last year's staff worked well together and had the team heading in the right direction until a 10-minute trainwreck in Boston. Wisconsin was better, but I think the Gophs were right there with anyone else, though they didn't prove it at NCAA time.

Originally posted by 1996 View Post
        I was surprised when they got Raty, and even more surprised when we were able to Win with our team 2 years ago, really thought your girls had the upper hand then.
        The Gophs were the better team up until Räty left for the Olympics, but UMD was clearly better from that point on. Räty carried UM in many games through January. She clearly wasn't the same when she returned and was no longer able to do so. Even the games Minnesota won were a struggle.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

[QUOTE=ARM;5157703] (Disclaimer: I am speaking of the general case, know nothing about this coach or program, and realize that the above may not apply in a case where players are being physically or psychologically abused and are incapable of speaking for themselves.)

Bingo!! That was not the first communication to the admin about this. It was the last, all endorsed by the whole team. The school let them down and they tried every option they could. They went there to learn more about the game ( keeping in mind that school came first). So I do not know what roll parents had in this if any but whatever the team did to fix this I salute them. They tried to solve it on their own when that did not work they used the resources available to them parents alumni anyone that would listen and see that they were right. It is what anyone would do if something was that bad.

Comment

Let's be congenial and move this to the Adrian thread folks...its easy to copy and paste over to that thread
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I don't understand why parents are involved at all. This isn't youth hockey, the players are adults, and should be treated as such by all concerned, especially their own parents. At that age, I'd have been absolutely mortified if parental units had gotten involved in my affairs to that extent. Hard as it may be, at some point we have to fight our own battles, even if it means losing them.
              Reminds me of a story I heard from my brother who's friend teaches college classes. Parent showed up at his office insisting on knowing why her son was failing. He said "give me a minute" and dug thru a file and handed her a document explaining FERPA and said "have a nice day."
              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                Reminds me of a story I heard from my brother who's friend teaches college classes. Parent showed up at his office insisting on knowing why her son was failing. He said "give me a minute" and dug thru a file and handed her a document explaining FERPA and said "have a nice day."
                Yup!

Comment

Posted by genius dogdodowatcher

First off Brooks coached a team of males (whole different animal mentally). In case you don't know this fact W that happened in 1980 that would be thirty years ago at that time it was also common for coaches to hit, kick and manhandle their players. I don't think that that is how it is done now. So besides making an *** of yourself W have you ever played any sport at any level besides being the last one picked everytime.[/QUOTE]

I think you asked me a question.

Ok tough guy in a forum. Actually coaching is coaching and knowing how to coach the team you're given is what's most important. Being a good coach is adjusting sometimes every shift. How do I know this? Because I've coached both boys and girls hockey and yes girls are different genius. You do need to handle every girl different at times. It's people like you in the stands I just get a kick out of. You mentioned you couldn't coach girls. Of course you couldn't because you're a crazy person who needs to talk tough on a forum. I feel sorry for you as you don't seem to have a clue. I truly wish we could meet in person so I could what a? Read my mind little? Read my mind again.

By the way coached my B1 boy�s team to a state championship and my girl�s teams won a state championship at the 14 age group. Actually coached 17 D1 players. And as far as being picked last. Actually played minor league baseball and was a 3 sport varsity player. And smart guy I actuall knew Herb and he coached his way which was totally different than most. He tried to coach his player to their strengths. Which I admired because most didn't agree with. My reference point to him was you have to coach every team, game and sometimes shifts different. Coaching is a very hard thing to do and even GREAT coaches make mistakes. How do you feel Herbie felt being left off the Olympic team as the last cut? Did he move on? Did it ruin his life? I think he did just fine as will the Adrian girls. That's what parents are for helping your kids when they have tough times. Not blaming others.

Get a life and go away as you're hurting your D3 team by your juvenile comments. I didn't start this argument you seem to want. But I feel I had to defend myself from your 7 year old comments. My whole post was only to say not to post a private team letter or to say such crushing mean spirited things about someone who I'm sure is a very nice young lady. Maybe you should talk to your AD. The person who hired her.

Coaches need to coach their way and if it works? Great. If it doesn't? Move on. Period! Tell me if your boys team did this to you or question'd you. Would you have liked it? Of coarse not tough guy. Instant message me. I'll give you my name and you give me yours. I bet your a little man I think we'd be great friends.

I can't wait to read your posts next year and reading the same comments about the new coach and how you know everything because you're a genius.

Ok. Now I'm done with you. Thanks 54 for allowing me to post. I do like your spirit. Sometimes that is.

Now I'm done with Adrian.
                  Last edited by WCHFan; 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I apologize to all and will try to stay on topic from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                      Posted by genius dogdodowatcher

First off Brooks coached a team of males (whole different animal mentally). In case you don't know this fact W that happened in 1980 that would be thirty years ago at that time it was also common for coaches to hit, kick and manhandle their players. I don't think that that is how it is done now. So besides making an *** of yourself W have you ever played any sport at any level besides being the last one picked everytime.

I think you asked me a question.

Ok tough guy in a forum. Actually coaching is coaching and knowing how to coach the team you're given is what's most important. Being a good coach is adjusting sometimes every shift. How do I know this? Because I've coached both boys and girls hockey and yes girls are different genius. You do need to handle every girl different at times. It's people like you in the stands I just get a kick out of. You mentioned you couldn't coach girls. Of course you couldn't because you're a crazy person who needs to talk tough on a forum. I feel sorry for you as you don't seem to have a clue. I truly wish we could meet in person so I could what a? Read my mind little? Read my mind again.

By the way coached my B1 boy�s team to a state championship and my girl�s teams won a state championship at the 14 age group. Actually coached 17 D1 players. And as far as being picked last. Actually played minor league baseball and was a 3 sport varsity player. And smart guy I actuall knew Herb and he coached his way which was totally different than most. He tried to coach his player to their strengths. Which I admired because most didn't agree with. My reference point to him was you have to coach every team, game and sometimes shifts different. Coaching is a very hard thing to do and even GREAT coaches make mistakes. How do you feel Herbie felt being left off the Olympic team as the last cut? Did he move on? Did it ruin his life? I think he did just fine as will the Adrian girls. That's what parents are for helping your kids when they have tough times. Not blaming others.

Get a life and go away as you're hurting your D3 team by your juvenile comments. I didn't start this argument you seem to want. But I feel I had to defend myself from your 7 year old comments. My whole post was only to say not to post a private team letter or to say such crushing mean spirited things about someone who I'm sure is a very nice young lady. Maybe you should talk to your AD. The person who hired her.

Coaches need to coach their way and if it works? Great. If it doesn't? Move on. Period! Tell me if your boys team did this to you or question'd you. Would you have liked it? Of coarse not tough guy. Instant message me. I'll give you my name and you give me yours. I bet your a little man I think we'd be great friends.

I can't wait to read your posts next year and reading the same comments about the new coach and how you know everything because you're a genius.

Ok. Now I'm done with you. Thanks 54 for allowing me to post. I do like your spirit. Sometimes that is.

Now I'm done with Adrian.[/QUOTE]

Don't Thank me...be thankful of your first ammendment right.
                      Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 06-17-2011, 11:52 PM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Originally posted by training44 View Post
                        mature.
                        i am sorry who are you??? somebody of very little importance. go away

Comment

@5 4 fighting

Ok seriously there bud!
                          first get a life, you clearly know nothing about the game of hockey. Second, congrats you coached hockey before, and you know that is fantastic that you said you knew Herb Brooks but anybody could meet the man get his autograph and claim they know him. Its not hard to rad his biography on the internet. Nice try though better luck next time. Third, have you taken a look at your posts? they are juvenile! I didnt know your opinion really mattered that much to be saying that the letter should have not been posted. You know what buddy? sometimes in order to get peoples attention and get them to realize what is really going on things need to be taken to drastic heights! and maybe you tihnk that it was a bad idea or childish or "juvenile" in your words, but if you played for her (as I did for three years) or knew anything at all about Adrian College then you would be on the same page as the rest of the intelligent people in here!

thanks so much for trying tho
                          ow better luck next time
                          Last edited by crazyhkyfan1; 06-18-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                            you are speaking about classes not coaching a hockey team. its completely different territory. and like was stated before everything possible was done. read some of the posts from before the players told the parents to back off and stay away and let us handle it....after the letter was handed in and not a thing was done or said about it, the girls had personally spoken to Mr.Duffy as well and nothing was done about it. That's why are parents got involved because clearly as student athletes neither one of those titles really mattered to the school

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhkyfan1 View Post
                              i am sorry who are you??? somebody of very little importance. go away

Well since this is a public forum I do not have to go away, but thanks for the offer!
                              And second of all, what makes you so more important than anyone else on this forum? I can say whatever I would like.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhkyfan1 View Post

@5 4 fighting

Ok seriously there bud!
                                first get a life, you clearly know nothing about the game of hockey. Second, congrats you coached hockey before, and you know that is fantastic that you said you knew Herb Brooks but anybody could meet the man get his autograph and claim they know him. Its not hard to rad his biography on the internet. Nice try though better luck next time. Third, have you taken a look at your posts? they are juvenile! I didnt know your opinion really mattered that much to be saying that the letter should have not been posted. You know what buddy? sometimes in order to get peoples attention and get them to realize what is really going on things need to be taken to drastic heights! and maybe you tihnk that it was a bad idea or childish or "juvenile" in your words, but if you played for her (as I did for three years) or knew anything at all about Adrian College then you would be on the same page as the rest of the intelligent people in here!

thanks so much for trying tho
                                ow better luck next time
                                ..but...but... I never said any of those things.

or are you just mad at the world?

Comment

Working...
                                X