Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

It's good to see him become a head coach. He's a good caoch and I think it will take time before RMU gets better, but he knows what he's doing, and I think he'll get a lot out of his players.

Comment

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Brooky, I can see where some of you Goph fans get a little anncy. I was surprised when they got Raty, and even more surprised when we were able to Win with our team 2 years ago, really thought your girls had the upper hand then. You will have a ton of talent, but I am interested to see how ND comes out of the gate too(coaches and players make it interesting there).

If Lindenwood keeps there coach, he seems to have a back ground with womens hockey. And the roster is a wide variety of US and Canada players. Should be very interesting how that program develops. Wish them well and curious what conference they will go to.

Middle of June, any school with out a coach needs to get on it soon. Players should be starting summer programs at there schools in 4-6 weeks.

Look forward to more updates.

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 View Post
        Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Brooky, I can see where some of you Goph fans get a little anncy. I was surprised when they got Raty, and even more surprised when we were able to Win with our team 2 years ago, really thought your girls had the upper hand then. You will have a ton of talent, but I am interested to see how ND comes out of the gate too(coaches and players make it interesting there).
        I keep checking WCHA team web pages looking for 2011-2012 rosters. Gophers are the only one I've seen so far...but I'm particularly interested in the 2011-2012 North Dakota roster. Some excellent additions obviously...but I'm most curious about Miss Marvin as I've heard she may red shirt. That would surprise me a little, but I've read what I'd characterize as some sound reasoning behind the possibility as well.

As for Noora...why in the world would she want to play anywhere else?
        Last edited by brookyone; 06-14-2011, 07:40 PM.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

This is to all the people defending Lomanto. I played for her while she was coaching at Adrian. I can personally attest that I lost my love of the game and considered quitting. I can also tell you that people have actually quit because of her and that even more people care less for the game now than when they came to Adrian. I can also tell you that not one girl who has played for Lomanto during the past 3 years did not celebrate the fact that she is no longer involved with the program so many of us take pride in. I am not saying that Lomanto is not a good person, she can be, but she lacks the maturity and hockey knowledge required to be successful and respected as a coach. She belittles her players because she is afraid to not be in complete control. Until you have been through or witnessed what these players have gone through under her, you can not possibly understand the situation.
          Last edited by bdogsfan; 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

As a former player of the Adrian College Women’s Hockey program, I feel it is vital to voice my opinion regarding the head coach Melissa Lomanto and the Assistant Coach Danielle Syrowik. Hopefully this will give an eye opener to the NCAA about the coaches that are representing them, since the college will not. I received a phone call stating that people on USCHO were defending Melissa Lomanto saying that she is a good coach and who ever posted something along the lines that someone cant speak for the whole team. I could care less to read what other people have written about Melissa Lomanto. So this is to all of you that are defending Lomanto and this is to my Adrian hockey girls.

The following letter was sent to the President of Adrian College, Athletic Director, and Women’s Athletic Director. No action was taken regarding the letter. This was after the 2009-2010 season.

April 23, 2010
            Dear Mike Duffy,
            The current Women’s Varsity Hockey Team would like to voice our concern about our Head Coach, Melissa Lomanto. Throughout the past two years, almost every player on our team has lost a part of their passion for the game of hockey. What used to be a time that we looked forward to has now become a time that we dread. As a group, we have made a list of concerns that we feel has impacted our program and if change does not occur, it will continue to have detrimental effects on our Women’s Ice Hockey program in the future here at Adrian College.
            • Lacks the responsibility, maturity and accountability of a head coach.
            • Lack of effort and heart towards her job, which causes the team to lose respect for her.
            • Lack of professionalism, which represents Adrian College poorly.
            • No respect for the assistant coach and the players can see it.
            • Very unknowledgeable of the game of hockey.
            - No strategy, no systems, no video, no understanding/learning how our opponents play.
            • Unequal treatment of players. Focuses on just her "top" players and does not work on improving her weaker players.
            • Does not give players coaching input on ways of improvement.
            • No organized workouts throughout the season.
            • Scheduling practice at a convenient time for her, as opposed to what is best for the 25 members of the team. We are STUDENT athletes.
            • Makes game schedule on the basis of them being in the vicinity of her hometown as opposed to scheduling us against higher calibre teams.
            • Program has gone down a negative path since she has been hired as the hockey coach.
            • Many of our losses come from the lack of coaching strategies and abilities.
            - A large number of our losses have come from our team being outcoached due to the lack of her using our players to their full potential.
            • Consistently unavailable and out of the office.
            • Has not fulfilled recruiting standards, only one freshman recruit has consistently played in games this year.
            • Does not base her recruiting off of the senior class that will need to be replaced.
            • Player and coach relationships.
            • Did not attend the U-19 girl’s National hockey tournament which is the biggest recruiting opportunity of the season.
            • Unprofessional with recruits parents when on campus visits.
            • Does not make follow up phone calls with recruits which leads them to choose other options for school, even if Adrian College was their first choice.
            • 13 players have either quit or transferred since she has become head coach.
            • Many girls are considering not playing if she is our coach.
            • USCHO FAN BLOGS – People outside of the team and Adrian College have recognized her lack of coaching skill.
            • ”Also heard that Adrian’s coach took the bye week as an opportunity to go on vacation and leave her players without practicing for a week. that’s a good approach to the first round of the playoffs. Let's go Concordia for the 1st Round Upset!!”
            (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84634&page=14)

• “You are right. They all are different teams then last year Lf certainly was improved and RF stayed competitive. Adrian on the other hand got worse. I am not saying it is all the coach but look at reasons they lose games and most can be directly related lack of direction and focus most of which the coach has to identify and correct. I have watched many of their games this season and have yet to see any sign of an organized break out, power play or penalty kill. I see players on the ice for 25 minutes or more a game coming off their shift gassed or scored on. The penalty kill is in the bottom of D-3 and yet they rank as one of the highest in penalties taken. It seems to me that all of these items should be controlled by the coach. She has a roster that when you watch them appear very talented but do not play any system, show any discipline and look like they are coached by some house league parent instead of a college coach. I would say that makes most of it her fault six or seven more wins would have been nice.” (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84634&page=20)

The Women’s Varsity Hockey Team thought it was necessary to bring these issues to your attention in order to benefit the future of the women’s hockey program here at Adrian College.
            With much concern,
            Members of the Adrian College Women’s Hockey Team

I CAN SPEAK ON BEHALF OF THE WHOLE TEAM. The best thing that ever happened to the Adrian hockey team is that Lomanto got fired. The assistant coach needs to go ASAP also.

Comment

As a former player of the Adrian College Women’s Hockey program, I feel it is vital to voice my opinion regarding the head coach Melissa Lomanto and the Assistant Coach Danielle Syrowik. Hopefully this will give an eye opener to the NCAA about the coaches that are representing them, since the college will not. I received a phone call stating that people on USCHO were defending Melissa Lomanto saying that she is a good coach and who ever posted something along the lines that someone cant speak for the whole team. I could care less to read what other people have written about Melissa Lomanto. So this is to all of you that are defending Lomanto and this is to my Adrian hockey girls.

The following letter was sent to the President of Adrian College, Athletic Director, and Women’s Athletic Director. No action was taken regarding the letter. This was after the 2009-2010 season.

April 23, 2010
              Dear Mike Duffy,
              The current Women’s Varsity Hockey Team would like to voice our concern about our Head Coach, Melissa Lomanto. Throughout the past two years, almost every player on our team has lost a part of their passion for the game of hockey. What used to be a time that we looked forward to has now become a time that we dread. As a group, we have made a list of concerns that we feel has impacted our program and if change does not occur, it will continue to have detrimental effects on our Women’s Ice Hockey program in the future here at Adrian College.
              • Lacks the responsibility, maturity and accountability of a head coach.
              • Lack of effort and heart towards her job, which causes the team to lose respect for her.
              • Lack of professionalism, which represents Adrian College poorly.
              • No respect for the assistant coach and the players can see it.
              • Very unknowledgeable of the game of hockey.
              - No strategy, no systems, no video, no understanding/learning how our opponents play.
              • Unequal treatment of players. Focuses on just her "top" players and does not work on improving her weaker players.
              • Does not give players coaching input on ways of improvement.
              • No organized workouts throughout the season.
              • Scheduling practice at a convenient time for her, as opposed to what is best for the 25 members of the team. We are STUDENT athletes.
              • Makes game schedule on the basis of them being in the vicinity of her hometown as opposed to scheduling us against higher calibre teams.
              • Program has gone down a negative path since she has been hired as the hockey coach.
              • Many of our losses come from the lack of coaching strategies and abilities.
              - A large number of our losses have come from our team being outcoached due to the lack of her using our players to their full potential.
              • Consistently unavailable and out of the office.
              • Has not fulfilled recruiting standards, only one freshman recruit has consistently played in games this year.
              • Does not base her recruiting off of the senior class that will need to be replaced.
              • Player and coach relationships.
              • Did not attend the U-19 girl’s National hockey tournament which is the biggest recruiting opportunity of the season.
              • Unprofessional with recruits parents when on campus visits.
              • Does not make follow up phone calls with recruits which leads them to choose other options for school, even if Adrian College was their first choice.
              • 13 players have either quit or transferred since she has become head coach.
              • Many girls are considering not playing if she is our coach.
              • USCHO FAN BLOGS – People outside of the team and Adrian College have recognized her lack of coaching skill.
              • ”Also heard that Adrian’s coach took the bye week as an opportunity to go on vacation and leave her players without practicing for a week. that’s a good approach to the first round of the playoffs. Let's go Concordia for the 1st Round Upset!!”
              (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84634&page=14)

• “You are right. They all are different teams then last year Lf certainly was improved and RF stayed competitive. Adrian on the other hand got worse. I am not saying it is all the coach but look at reasons they lose games and most can be directly related lack of direction and focus most of which the coach has to identify and correct. I have watched many of their games this season and have yet to see any sign of an organized break out, power play or penalty kill. I see players on the ice for 25 minutes or more a game coming off their shift gassed or scored on. The penalty kill is in the bottom of D-3 and yet they rank as one of the highest in penalties taken. It seems to me that all of these items should be controlled by the coach. She has a roster that when you watch them appear very talented but do not play any system, show any discipline and look like they are coached by some house league parent instead of a college coach. I would say that makes most of it her fault six or seven more wins would have been nice.” (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=84634&page=20)

The Women’s Varsity Hockey Team thought it was necessary to bring these issues to your attention in order to benefit the future of the women’s hockey program here at Adrian College.
              With much concern,
              Members of the Adrian College Women’s Hockey Team

I CAN SPEAK ON BEHALF OF THE WHOLE TEAM. The best thing that ever happened to the Adrian hockey team is that Lomanto got fired. The assistant coach needs to go ASAP also.

Comment

Wow!

I can see disagreeing with a coach and strategies but to post something like this??

Some things are better left within the team. I almost feel sorry for the coach.

I'd hate to be your enemy or coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisconsinhockey01 View Post

I'm sure the coaches will be lining up for this job now.

First thing the new coach needs to do: Get a new team.
                  RIT TIGERS
                  2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Some of the parents wrote letters also and had meetings with Mr Duffy. He in turn told Coach Lomanto who then played all those players with limited ice time. Players that were in the top 8 scoring the previous season were benched or cut. This shows her lack of maturity. These same parents tried to approach her first. She claimed an open door policy and when approached by the players they were told." This is my team I'll do it my way." Then promptly benched the top player on the team for speaking to her about the concerns of the whole team.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post

First thing the new coach needs to do: be qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan1 View Post
                        Some of the parents wrote letters also and had meetings with Mr Duffy. He in turn told Coach Lomanto who then played all those players with limited ice time. Players that were in the top 8 scoring the previous season were benched or cut. This shows her lack of maturity. These same parents tried to approach her first. She claimed an open door policy and when approached by the players they were told." This is my team I'll do it my way." Then promptly benched the top player on the team for speaking to her about the concerns of the whole team.
                        A coach should be able to coach their way! I respect a coach who'll bench the star player in certain instances. Nothing wrong with it. She seemed to win. Not every player can be happy and many aren't on every team. That is why it's so hard to win championships.

When someone posts something like that have everyone sign it or put your real name on it.
                        Last edited by WCHFan; 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                          A coach should be able to coach their way! I respect a coach who'll bench the star player in certain instances. Nothing wrong with it. She seemed to win. Not every player can be happy and many aren't on every team. That is why it's so hard to win championships.

When someone posts something like that have everyone sign it or put your real name on it.
                          The player was benched for expressing her opinion. It was all about systems. The girl who spoke has an incredable understanding of the game as well as amazing skills.
                          As parents we were asked for 2 years to keep quiet and let the girls try to handle the situation. After they wrote the letter which was signed by the entire team and got nowhere with it we were then asked by the girls to express our feelings to the AD.

Comment

Wow!

I can see disagreeing with a coach and strategies but to post something like this??

Some things are better left within the team. I almost feel sorry for the coach.

I'd hate to be your enemy or coach.
                            Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post

You are probably right all 25 players went nuts but the coach was right. I find it hard to believe that people could watch the game as much as you two say you do and know so little. I know I have seen RIT fan taken to task many times and always he or she comes up on the don't know s--- side amazing that you have no clue as to how a team wins or loses or what makes a good coach. Big joke in the NCHA was if we can stay within 3 by the start of the third they will be gassed and we will score on them big. I think before you degrade the players you should look at the whole story. It gets worse then what you see on here believe me I have seen it. This coach took a wealth of talent and did nothing with it she clearly was in over her head. How many games of Adrian have you two dullards seen to form such a strong opinion. I think both of you should wait for someone with some knowledge of the game to give you your opinions in the future. It is clear that both of you are willing to speak of things you know nothing about. I know for a fact RIT fan took some major hits for that last season and even disapeared for a while probably due to embarasment.

Comment

Relax and look at what I'm saying.

Do or can coaches make mistakes? Yes. Can players and parents state their opinions? yes. Should a parent post a team letter on a forum? NO That is what I'm disagreeing with. What if this coach was your daughter? She was chosen to coach and to coach her way. She should be allowed to do so and if she doesn't do well she can walk away or be let go. I think she suffered enough and didn't need this letter posted.

I'll add one more comment. Over her head?? She seemed to do fine as far as wins and losses and I've seen some players and coaches praise her in this forum.

If you feel so strongly you're right than let us know who you are. It's that easy.

Comment

I almost think you have some kind of comprehension problem. I know for sure you know nothing of team dynamics and struggle daily with the real world. For sure you lack the skills to put together an informed opinion. It is clear that you either never seen this team play or wouldn't know what to look for if you did. It is also apparent that you have not researched any of the facts available to you in this case. Did you understand THE LETTER WAS SIGNED BY THE WHOLE TEAM that would mean every player if you need the names look at the roster(if you can't figure out what season it was written we can help you hint it wasn't after this season). Unfortunately the team did not make a copy for you you moron. Guess they didn't think you would matter just like the rest of us do. You have been presented with facts, stats and examples from games that can all be looked up. It would not be fair to name the players directly involved in the -5 games or -3 shifts as it was not their fault. The coach could have stopped all of that but did not. They have happened just look at some archives and you can see them. NO COACH IN THEIR RIGHT MIND LEAVES A LINE OUT FOR A -3 SHIFT THAT LASTS OVER TWO MINUTES. That alone is enough to get a coach fired. And if you ever had seen them play and had a friend that knew something about the game watch with you (because you have made it painfully clear that you don't) they would tell you that they had no systems or disapline. Both are signs of poor coaching.

Comment

Working...
                                X