X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    When did she win the league? She won the O'brien cup, not the league
    Did Adrian not win the playoffs in their league to make it to NCAA's ?. To me that is winning the league championship. Just like the presidents trophy vs the Stanley cup in the NHL. It is the latter that is considered the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
      Any update on this?
      Job is still posted on the NCAA board.

Comment

Originally posted by lafata_n View Post
        Adrian coach, Melissa Lomanto, resigns. Anyone know anything or who they are bringing in?
        Good luck Melissa !! You will be missed !

Comment

well i didn't mean for bashing of the coach. I was just wondering what Adrian was going to do. Even if you hated the coach, she still did great things for the program. First appearance at NCAA's and won the league. Sorry if your daughter hated her but not everyone did. Just saying. She was still a good person if you don't agree with her coaching strategies and I am sure she could still coach better than you could....
          First let me say that I don't have a daughter playing at Adrian. Second let me say that I believe that she is a good person. However as a coach she was a complete failure. I have watched this program since it's first practice. Let me start by saying the wins that were achieved over the last three years were the girls not the coach. Coach Kiep left her with several skilled players both with a year under their belt some as incomming freshman and one transfer. The team won games because they were the better atheletes not because they were coached well. Simply put player to player they were better then most teams 9 out of ten times. As far as coaching goes here is what I have seen. The team had no breakout play other then throw it around the boards and hope. Taught my squirts that one. They had no regroup at all, so hard to say why. D zone coverage and gap control non existant. The power play was just 5 kids doing their own thing 50% of the time they converted it was unassisted. Clear sign of talent but no system. The penalty kill was just two fowards chasing the puck and two d down low. Did you know that players would take shifts of over 2 minutes? Did you know that one line one had a minus 3 shift? Did you know that twice this season two lines played to a minus 5? Did you see where we finished in penalties taken ( lack of disapline?. So hear my thought, if you aren't going to teach them the systems to help them compete you should at least control the penalties and shift lengh. Can you imagine sitting in the stands and watching a line go out for their second faceoff at center ice (That means they have been scored on twice ) after they have already been out there for a minute and fortyfive seconds? Thats the hockey, she was offered help but knew more then the people that offered (happens to most first time mangers). She is young and like you said a good person, lots of good people are out of work just saying the job perfomance warrants this.

Comment

No need to bash the coach after the fact. I know nothing about this coach, but I know one thing is certain, coach couldn't give a flying **** what you think.

Comment

Did you know they participated in the NCAA Tournament? Did you know that their freshmen goalie was an All American? Did you know they beat UWRF's? Only one other team did that all year.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                Did you know they participated in the NCAA Tournament? Did you know that their freshmen goalie was an All American? Did you know they beat UWRF's? Only one other team did that all year.
                Did you know that the coach did not make those saves. Again On most nights when they stepped on the ice this year they had more speed more talent then their opponant. What they did not have was a game plan. Have you ever seen them play. Did you know they set the record for largest margin of defeat ever in any ncaa hockey tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by dogwatcher View Post
                  Did you know that the coach did not make those saves. Again On most nights when they stepped on the ice this year they had more speed more talent then their opponant. What they did not have was a game plan. Have you ever seen them play. Did you know they set the record for largest margin of defeat ever in any ncaa hockey tournament.
                  oh but did you know that the coach recruited that all-american goalie? so yes she did have good coaching if she get a goalie to become an all-american as a freshman. Also two players on the team this year were all-ncha. so again good decision with recruiting eh? And so what that they lost 10-1. It was there FIRST appearance there. what do you expect?

Comment

Thanks to dogwatcher for sharing his / her remarks and honest observations. I do appreciate reading almost all points of view...including nearly all those I don't necessarily agree with. Have to admire those who actually understand the right to express their opinions and exercise that right, even knowing the potential for controversy and ridicule from the peanut gallery.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dogwatcher View Post
                      First let me say that I don't have a daughter playing at Adrian. Second let me say that I believe that she is a good person.
                      I'd hate to see how you tear into someone that you don't think is a good person.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

oh but did you know that the coach recruited that all-american goalie? so yes she did have good coaching if she get a goalie to become an all-american as a freshman. Also two players on the team this year were all-ncha. so again good decision with recruiting eh? And so what that they lost 10-1. It was there FIRST appearance there. what do you expect?
                        Did you know that all american goalie came to Adrian because it is close to home and she knows people at the school? Did you know she only "recruited" 1 of the all-NCHA? Did you know 5 players made NCHA all acedemic and she did not recruite any of them and a number of her "recruits" are attending summer school so they will not be acedemically ineligable in the fall?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I'd hate to see how you tear into someone that you don't think is a good person.
                          Being a good person and being a good coach are 2 different things. Melissa has a lot of maturing to do. At that time she will open herself up to learning and listening to people who who have more knowledge and experience then she does. She had many resourses within Adrian with much more experience than her, who tried to guide her. Immaturity had her not listening and thinking her way was better. As we mature we realize we should avail ourselves to all resourses offered and be open to change. We also tend not to hold gruges against people we don't agree with and respect others opinions. All this will come with maturity.

Comment

Since there's an opening at your beloved school and you know all about their resources, I think dogwatcher and hockeyfan1 should be prime canidates for the job. Send in your resumes and take charge or keep coaching from the stands.
                            RIT TIGERS
                            2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                              Since there's an opening at your beloved school and you know all about their resources, I think dogwatcher and hockeyfan1 should be prime canidates for the job. Send in your resumes and take charge or keep coaching from the stands.
                              See there is the difference. I know I would not be a good coach so why would I try? I am a parent and have a close relationship with most of the girls past and present. I know many issues I will not share on this board. All I will say is the team is thrilled and some of the quality players who chose not to play for her will be trying out again in the Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                                Thanks to dogwatcher for sharing his / her remarks and honest observations. I do appreciate reading almost all points of view...including nearly all those I don't necessarily agree with. Have to admire those who actually understand the right to express their opinions and exercise that right, even knowing the potential for controversy and ridicule from the peanut gallery.
                                A thousand bucks says you never played the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X