Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

she's leaving some nice pieces for the next coach to work with as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
      Well, it says "retire from coaching after 27 years." I doubt that she would retire from OSU and uproot herself to go coach at Penn State.
      I'd retire and uproot myself for the kind of money Penn State's going to be waving around.

Comment

You've got it ALL wrong JosephP. Long story short, she no longer had the team buying into anything she was trying to do with them. Let's just say her "retiring" was premature to what she had wished. Wish the team the best of luck in the future. tOSU should have a talented group of candidates to select their new leader from.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Well, let's not forget the Gold Medal at the 2008 World Championships.

Obviously I join you in wishing Jackie nothing but the best. A huge thanks to Coach Barto both for launching the program, and for twelve fine seasons.
          Ditto on this from me. A big thank you to Coach Barto for her contributions to the Ohio State University women's hockey program! I wish her the best in whatever she decides to do. Her list of accomplishments speaks for itself!

Comment

Yes, good luck to coach Barto. Regardless of circumstances, she always interacted professionally and was approachable. Her teams played with intensity and many times above their potential. Not the easiest to recruit to OSU. Great school and environment but its a tough travel schedule, they have modest hockey facilities, and the program is buried within 30+D-I programs. She still competed in upper tier of WCHA most years.

Any new news on Penn State? Heard that UMD's Miller was approached and contrary to PSU statements are willing to pay higher salaries to lure candidates??

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
              Yes, good luck to coach Barto. Regardless of circumstances, she always interacted professionally and was approachable. Her teams played with intensity and many times above their potential. Not the easiest to recruit to OSU. Great school and environment but its a tough travel schedule, they have modest hockey facilities, and the program is buried within 30+D-I programs. She still competed in upper tier of WCHA most years.

Any new news on Penn State? Heard that UMD's Miller was approached and contrary to PSU statements are willing to pay higher salaries to lure candidates??
              I heard Sisti is the front runner for that gig........

Comment

So is Brown University. Digit Murphy has been terminated.

Comment

Originally posted by puckwiz View Post
                  RStarr has been BUSY...

Comment

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/4210492

Comment

Originally posted by puckwiz View Post
                      That seems a little strange given that the Brown's Women's Hockey Banquet goes tonight with Digit Murphy scheduled to give the opening and closing remarks.

Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 04-22-2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Which Assistant Coach at Princeton is leaving/has left?

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                          Barto Retires from Coaching Ohio State Women's Hockey Program

http://www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com
                          Release: 04/19/2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio-Jackie Barto, the first coach of women's hockey at Ohio State, has decided to retire from coaching after 12 seasons with the Buckeyes and 27 years in the coaching profession, Gene Smith, Ohio State associate vice-president and director of athletics, announced Tuesday.

Barto, a 1984 graduate of Providence University with a degree in business management, was hired at Ohio State in 1999 to start the women's hockey program after spending five seasons as the head coach at her alma mater.

"It has been an incredible opportunity to start the program and see it develop over 12 years," Barto said. "I want to thank (former Ohio State director of athletics) Andy Geiger and Archie Griffin (former Ohio State assistant athletics director and current president of the OSU Alumni Association) for giving me the opportunity."

Barto is currently exploring other career opportunities.

"I have worked with tremendous people and outstanding student-athletes," Barto said of her time in Columbus. "I am proud of what we have accomplished over the last 12 years. I think our program is in a good spot right now. I've enjoyed working with Gene Smith and Chris Schneider (associate AD-sport administration). They have been extremely supportive of both the program and me over the years.

"I have been coaching for 27 years and I've always wondered when I'd know (if it was time to retire)," Barto said. "Today I can honestly say 'I know.'"

Schneider said Barto has left her mark on the program.

"I consider it a privilege to have had the opportunity to work with Coach Barto for the past five seasons," Schneider said. "She is a great coach and an even better person. I thank Jackie for all of her hard work and dedication that she has given to this university and wish her the best in her future."

Ohio State will immediately begin a national search for just its second head coach in the sport of women's hockey.

Barto's Ohio State Highlights

Jackie Barto coached more than 500 games in her career and ranked eighth in career victories among NCAA Division I coaches (following 2010-11 season).
                          Barto developed an Olympic gold medalist in Tessa Bonhomme (Canada), a silver medalist in Lisa Chesson (United States) and two-time bronze medalist in Emma Laakonen (Finland). Current Buckeye Minttu Tuominen also played for Team Finland in the Olympics during her freshman season. Current Buckeyes Natalie Spooner (Canada), Tuominen (Finland) and Annie Svedin (Sweden) along with Bonhomme (Canada) are currently completing at the World Championships in Switzerland.

The 2006-07 season was a record-setting one for Barto and the Buckeyes. Ohio State reached the 20-win mark for the first time in program history, finishing with a 20-13-4 mark and setting the record for the Buckeyes' longest unbeaten streak at 10 games (9-0-1, Oct. 28-Dec. 8). Ohio State also posted a team-best 30 points in the WCHA standings (13-11-4). The Buckeyes took advantage of home ice with a 12-5-3 record at OSU Ice Rink. After finishing fourth in the league standings, the Buckeyes played host to the WCHA first round playoffs for the first time under the league's new playoff format. OSU swept Minnesota State in the best-of-three series and advanced to the WCHA semifinals at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis against eventual national champion Wisconsin. The Buckeyes completed the season as the 10th-ranked team in both the USCHO.com and USA Hockey national polls.

The Buckeyes proved in the 2001-02 season they were a force to be reckoned with on the national scene by defeating several nationally-ranked teams. OSU upset No. 3 New Hampshire and No. 4 St. Lawrence and also tied No. 6 Dartmouth. Barto guided two players to five postseason honors. Jeni Creary was named the WCHA Rookie of the Year and All-WCHA First Team selection after leading the nation in scoring for the first half of the season. Laaksonen earned JOFA/AHCA Second Team All-America accolades and All-WCHA Second Team honors despite missing 10 games while representing her native Finland at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.

In just its second season, Barto's young Buckeye squad took center stage at the WCHA championship in March 2001. Fifth-seeded Ohio State bulldozed past No. 4 St. Cloud State and blanked No. 1 Minnesota to advance to the championship final where the Buckeyes fell to eventual national champion Minnesota Duluth. OSU's run for a postseason title was a fitting end to their second-half campaign, which saw them skate to an 18-16-3 overall record, including 11-10-3 in the WCHA, and finish No. 8 in the national polls. Barto guided the program through a difficult first half of the 2000-01 season before engineering an impressive turnaround midway through the year. The Buckeyes were 12-5-1 in their last 18 contests and finished 7-1-0 at home after the December hiatus, with their only loss at the OSU Ice Rink coming against nationally-ranked Minnesota. They rode a six-game winning streak, including five shutouts, into their championship game against Minnesota Duluth.

While at Ohio State Barto Coached:
                          Four Olympians
                          Four AHCA All-America honors
                          Five Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award Top 10 Finalists
                          One WCHA Player of the Year (Tessa Bonhomme)
                          One WCHA Defensive Player of the Year (Tessa Bonhomme)
                          One WCHA Student-Athlete of the Year (Emma Laakone)
                          Two WCHA Rookies of the Year (Hokey Langan, Jeni Creary)
                          Seven First Team All-WCHA
                          Seven Second Team All-WCHA
                          One Third Team All-WCHA
                          82 WCHA All-Academic Team honors
                          21 WCHA Scholar-Athlete honors
                          138 OSU Scholar-Athlete honors
                          And how many young ladies did she help stay on track to finish there hockey career's with degree's?

Comment

So who are top Assistant Coaches or D3 Coaches who might be candidates for these openings at Brown and The Ohio State University or will this start a muscial chairs of Head Coaches moving? What might these two programs need most to move forward?

Comment

any changes at Brown are far from official atm

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                                any changes at Brown are far from official atm
                                Nothing on coaching changes, but it does Looks like some whole change changes at Brown for some programs. Four varsity programs on the chopping block and tightening of recruiting. On the surface there does not appear to be any direct impact on the Brown Hockey programs.

http://www.brown.edu/web/athletics-review/index.html

http://www.brown.edu/web/athletics-r...April-2011.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X