Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Originally posted by Hux View Post
    It is Prep school, what do you expect? You get what you, ah, pay for.
    Right, but if she can't recruit at a prep school (and one that is perfectly fine, but doesn't have ridiculously high admissions standards), how can she be expected to get it done at a college that DOES have ridiculously high admissions standards? I just don't get the hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by FranchisePlayer View Post
      Right, but if she can't recruit at a prep school (and one that is perfectly fine, but doesn't have ridiculously high admissions standards), how can she be expected to get it done at a college that DOES have ridiculously high admissions standards? I just don't get the hiring.
      It has to do with what the school is willing to give for financial aid. You can recruit all you want, but if the school doesn't fork over the FA you have a tough time getting players interested. As for Williams, I don't think they are really too concerned with attracting student-athletes to ensure wins for their hockey program.

Comment

Harvard's new Assistant Coach is Jeff Pellegrini, formally of the Bowdoin, UMass-Boston and Nichols College men's teams. He was also the Head Coach of the Boston Shamrocks in their first season.
        Last edited by Hux; 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
          It has to do with what the school is willing to give for financial aid. You can recruit all you want, but if the school doesn't fork over the FA you have a tough time getting players interested. As for Williams, I don't think they are really too concerned with attracting student-athletes to ensure wins for their hockey program.
          There was FA available for hockey players, so that wasn't the problem. And why would you say that Williams is not concerned about their hockey program? They seem to be quite proud of their athletic success, and while I wouldn't say they sacrifice student quality for wins, they do very much like to have winning teams.

I think the new coach is going to have a tough go of it. Going to take a lot of hard work and she'll have to earn the respect of the players. Being a good player does not always translate into being a good coach. She'll need to inspire and teach. Will be interesting to see if she can actually do that.
          Last edited by speed_skater; 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious
            http://www.higheredjobs.com/admin/de...Hockey%20Coach

Is Seeley out? How did this go under the radar?
            The title reads head coach but the description reads assistant coach.
            Last edited by mattj711; 06-08-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
              The title says head coach but the description says assistant coach.
              Thanks... Good catch...I will delete the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                The title says head coach but the description says assistant coach.
                Pays to read further and not jump right to fan forum. Thought I had the hot story. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                  Pays to read further and not jump right to fan forum. Thought I had the hot story. Thanks.
                  Obvious, no need to be apologetic...your certainly not alone on here in that regard ...
                  Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious
                    http://www.higheredjobs.com/admin/de...Hockey%20Coach

Is Seeley out? How did this go under the radar?
                    Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                    The title reads head coach but the description reads assistant coach.
                    I was under the impression this position was/is already filled.

Comment

Adrian coach, Melissa Lomanto, resigns. Anyone know anything or who they are bringing in?

Comment

Originally posted by lafata_n View Post
                        Adrian coach, Melissa Lomanto, resigns. Anyone know anything or who they are bringing in?
                        Coach Slomanto had some challanges as coach first was her lack of hockey knowlege second was her ability to make players worse. Third was her failure to make the players trust her. Most would tell you they hated her and she had stolen the love they had for the game right out of them. She was given a team of quality players from the coach ahead of her and made them under achive every step of the way. It is ashame that she was given a no brainer and let it fall apart like it did. Hopefully her next job does not require leadership skills because she has none.````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````Hmmmmm maybe some of the high quality players that chose not to play for her will try out this fall. That would be awesome!!!!

Comment

Good for the BullDogs.

I hope that someone calls Nicolette Franck, former Wayne State Assistant to gauge her interest in the role.

Comment

Originally posted by dogwatcher View Post
                            Coach Slomanto had some challanges as coach first was her lack of hockey knowlege second was her ability to make players worse. Third was her failure to make the players trust her. Most would tell you they hated her and she had stolen the love they had for the game right out of them. She was given a team of quality players from the coach ahead of her and made them under achive every step of the way. It is ashame that she was given a no brainer and let it fall apart like it did. Hopefully her next job does not require leadership skills because she has none.````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````Hmmmmm maybe some of the high quality players that chose not to play for her will try out this fall. That would be awesome!!!!

well i didn't mean for bashing of the coach. I was just wondering what Adrian was going to do. Even if you hated the coach, she still did great things for the program. First appearance at NCAA's and won the league. Sorry if your daughter hated her but not everyone did. Just saying. She was still a good person if you don't agree with her coaching strategies and I am sure she could still coach better than you could....

Comment

well i didn't mean for bashing of the coach. I was just wondering what Adrian was going to do. Even if you hated the coach, she still did great things for the program. First appearance at NCAA's and won the league. Sorry if your daughter hated her but not everyone did. Just saying. She was still a good person if you don't agree with her coaching strategies and I am sure she could still coach better than you could....
                              When did she win the league? She won the O'brien cup, not the league
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                                Assistant coach, Scott Spencer, was given an Associate-Head Coach title a few month back, so I assume he'll take over.
                                Any update on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X