X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Changes - 2011 Offseason Edition

Originally posted by over rated View Post
    Please get your facts straight.
    Pretty sure my facts are straight. Penn State does not start until 2012-2013 season, so for anyone from WSU going to Penn, would have to wait a year as there is no hockey at Penn next season. Pretty sure cannot transfer twice (NCAA rule), so any current WSU player wanting to end up at Penn would have to sit a year.

If you want to transfer to play at any other school you don't have to sit a year, cause with the cancellation of this program any of those rules are waived by the NCAA as per the official release. However if current players select that route, they cannot thereafter transfer to Penn. There might be an exception to that for the incoming freshman, as they have yet to suit up for a game.
    Last edited by OnMAA; 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

[QUOTE=WCHFan;5146500]Agree! Anyone playing at the D1 or D3 level is a special player. It's very difficult to receive a D1 scholarship WSU has had some good seasons where they've beat the best. You can not judge any school by their record. Look at the WCHA most years the bottom teams might lose 12 games just for being lucky enough to play Wisconsin, Minnesota and UMD.

That being said teams like WSU, RMU, Union etc will have a harder time finding that special player. I also think some D3 girls could've played D1 and chose to stay D3.[/QUOTE]

Good call WCHFan. This happens a lot more than ppl think.

Given the choice... one would think that going to a D3 contender as opposed to a perennial D1 also ran would be a no brainer. I do believe however, in many cases the kids are forced to make a bad decision so that Mommy and Daddy can tell the other members of their local country club that Janey is playing D1 hockey.
      Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Good call WCHFan. This happens a lot more than ppl think.

Given the choice... one would think that going to a D3 contender as opposed to a perennial D1 also ran would be a no brainer. I do believe however, in many cases the kids are forced to make a bad decision so that Mommy and Daddy can tell the other members of their local country club that Janey is playing D1 hockey.
        Wow... I guess your kid didn't get a D1 scholly? Total ignorant comment posted above. Three good reasons why a player may choose to accept a D1 scholarship over a D3 financial aid package. 1) Quality of eduacation or what is offered program/course wise. 2, total out of pocket expenses for the parent/player... Free is always good. 3, a player wants to compete at the highest level possible. D3 is good hockey, but it's not the best. I can't recall any National team player that has come out of D3.

Those are three reason to choose D1 over D3.... There are also many other intangibles such as other players, coaching staff, family alumni, location, class sizes, graduate schools, etc, etc....

Comment

Sorry but my daughter did get a D1 scholorship at a top school. I just give a lot of credit to the D3 player.

I'm sure this happens with parents. But also feel some girls are smart to realize getting a scholarship and maybe not playing is a benefit. Free schooling is a great thing. Most of these girls are driven and very smart.

My daughter didn't play much and I questioned her choice. But played a ton her Soph year and I realized she had it all figured out

It should always be their decision in my opinion. Unless of course she picks a $50,000 and I'm paying.

Comment

5 4 fighting....that was the dumbest response I have ever read. Most of the kids that we know that play hockey come from working class families that can't afford the country club life because they spend their extra money on there kids hockey bill! Regardless of whether your kid plays D1, D3 or club all parents are proud of their kids accomplishments because of the hard work and effort they put into there sport. Am I proud of my kid absolutely and I tell HER that every day!

Comment

Originally posted by goodtogo View Post
              5 4 fighting....that was the dumbest response I have ever read. Most of the kids that we know that play hockey come from working class families that can't afford the country club life because they spend their extra money on there kids hockey bill! Regardless of whether your kid plays D1, D3 or club all parents are proud of their kids accomplishments because of the hard work and effort they put into there sport. Am I proud of my kid absolutely and I tell HER that every day!
              Agree. Just a few short years ago WSU was at the top of the league. They're in a rebuilding, young team mode, and were poised to compete this upcoming season. Last season they were decimated with injuries, playing with 13-14 skaters most games, yet stayed in most of them. 5-4, I thought you had more class than this. You might want to apologize to these hard working girls. My daughter and I know a few of them, they are great players, deserving of their status.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                Wow... I guess your kid didn't get a D1 scholly? Total ignorant comment posted above. Three good reasons why a player may choose to accept a D1 scholarship over a D3 financial aid package. 1) Quality of eduacation or what is offered program/course wise. 2, total out of pocket expenses for the parent/player... Free is always good. 3, a player wants to compete at the highest level possible. D3 is good hockey, but it's not the best. I can't recall any National team player that has come out of D3.

Those are three reason to choose D1 over D3.... There are also many other intangibles such as other players, coaching staff, family alumni, location, class sizes, graduate schools, etc, etc....

One more thing I'd like to get off my chest. National teams are great and everything and I would never take anything away from it. But I do feel it can be very bias at times and in my opinion many top players don't get a equal chance to compete. I also believe a team could be put together of the girls not given the opportunity and bet they would give a national team great games and win 3 or 4 out of 10.

If we put a 2nd team of US or Canadien girls together and let them play against other countries. I feel they would win most of the games played.

And yes my daughter did make national camps when she was younger. The process can be very questionable.

I know I know this should be in another post
                Last edited by WCHFan; 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                  One more thing I'd like to get off my chest. National teams are great and everything and I would never take anything away from it. But I do feel it can be very bias at times and in my opinion many top players don't get a equal chance to compete. I also believe a team could be put together of the girls not given the opportunity and bet they would give a national team great games and win 3 or 4 out of 10. If we put a 2nd team of US or Canadien girls together and let them play against other countries. I feel they would win most of the games played. And yes my daughter did make national camps when she was younger. The process can be very questionable.
                  Agree with WCHFan completely.

I've seen these camps without a horse in the race and there is bias and some things are questionable. No transparency especially on the girls side.

More then likely no D3 player has been chosen because of the coach choosing. D3 hockey may not be the best but it has more to do with the entire team level of talent then the individual talent.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post

I got to the part where you spelled education wrong and stopped reading...

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                      Agree. Just a few short years ago WSU was at the top of the league. They're in a rebuilding, young team mode, and were poised to compete this upcoming season. Last season they were decimated with injuries, playing with 13-14 skaters most games, yet stayed in most of them. 5-4, I thought you had more class than this. You might want to apologize to these hard working girls. My daughter and I know a few of them, they are great players, deserving of their status.
                      CanHockGuy, I'll respond to you cause Go To only has 2 posts and probably doesn't know any better.

I'm not apologizing to anybody. Re-read my post. Did I highlight any of the teams as posted? WSU included? - Nope, I was speaking in generalities.

My point is valid. Too many kids get pressured into the D1 mantra.

Let's move on.
                      Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like a long Summer already of bickering and name calling here.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                          CanHockGuy, I'll respond to you cause Go To only has 2 posts and probably doesn't know any better.

I'm not apologizing to anybody. Re-read my post. Did I highlight any of the teams as posted? WSU included? - Nope, I was speaking in generalities.

Let's move on.
                          Fiver. For what it is worth, had no problem with your post as you spoke the truth. Kind of surprising people jumped all over your post while an earlier poster that took a shot at WSU went scot-free.

Like you have a D who choose non-D1 (CIS) over D1, cause it was the best fit for her. Had another D who choose D1 over CIS cause it was the best fit for her. Both are still happy with their decision. I do agree that there are many that choose D1 over D3 or CIS for the wrong reasons. Both your D and our D's are at good academic institutions with programs that match their needs and skill sets and that is what IMHO counts for a lot.

Like you, know of parents pushing their kid to a school and then to regret it later, or the kid finding out it was not the right match once they get there. Been around long enough to see it happen over and over again. A good recruiter can sell a kid on anything. You would hope that the parents are a little more experienced to help their kids weed out the right wrong choices, but to leave the final choice with the child.

At the end of the day feel for all the 22 or so players that choose WSU and now many have no place to play next year, and are left scrambling at the last minute. Know one of the players and she is basically distraught about the whole situation.

Comment

Let's move on.
                            I accept your apology, and so do the girls. Agree, let's move on. You're a good hockey guy to respond. But be more careful next time. PS............Your insinuation was clear.

Comment

Hard to push a kid into D1. You might just have to be good enough, ya think?

Comment

I got to the part where you spelled education wrong and stopped reading...
                                It's called a typo you pompous easterner! Do I have enough posts for you to reply? What country club do you and your little jenny go to? Unreal ***** you are.... How about 5 for being a pompous *****?

Comment

Working...
                                X